How can I support Epyrus?

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

Navigator
Moon lover
Moon lover

How can I support Epyrus?

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-02-24, 18:30

I have been using Epyrus 2.0 in Linux Mint for the last month and I am impressed. I plan to permanently adopt it as my email client as long as it is supported by the developer(s). I wish to make a donation to encourage its continued development but the "Make a donation" link in the About Epyrus dialog does not work. I have twice donated to the Pale Moon project but I do not believe that is being used to support Epyrus.

I also have two support questions I hope will be answered:

Has there been a third-party security audit of Epyrus? I think this is important both for my own comfort and for wider adoption. Even though Epyrus feels remarkably polished I cannot unreservedly recommend it without this.

I have archived emails from the now-ancient email client Eudora in .TOC and .MBX format. I would like to convert these for reading in Epyrus. Is there a recommended utility that can read these old files? What export format do I need for use in Epyrus?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: How can I support Epyrus?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-02-25, 20:59

Hi,

I would actually much rather anyone interested in donating to support this project donate to Pale Moon instead. The forum and the Gitea repo, and UXP itself are all covered by those funds, and there really isn't a lot of money going into Epyrus specifically at the moment.

I wouldn't know how to setup a third-party security audit like you are talking about, and I freely admit that I do not recommend Epyrus for any kind of corporate or government deployment. I have no idea what the cost of such an audit would be, or whether that's really within the realm of possibility for Epyrus, but if it is that might be something that would require the project to gather funds after all. However, if such a thing could be done, I could imagine it being very helpful for our credibility.

I don't have any experience with Eudora, unfortunately. I've heard of it, but I don't know much about conversion tools... though I imagine something like that existed at one point to convert Eudora e-mails into something Thunderbird could understand, but I have no idea where to find such a tool or how much work would be needed to adapt it to Epyrus.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-25, 22:25

Perhaps https://www.systoolsgroup.com/thunderbird-importer/ can be massaged to work with Epyrus.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Navigator
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-02-25, 23:40

athenian200 wrote:
2023-02-25, 20:59
I would actually much rather anyone interested in donating to support this project donate to Pale Moon instead. The forum and the Gitea repo, and UXP itself are all covered by those funds, and there really isn't a lot of money going into Epyrus specifically at the moment.
For now then I'll say a hearty THANK YOU for this fine work.

Moonchild wrote:
2023-02-25, 22:25
Perhaps https://www.systoolsgroup.com/thunderbird-importer/ can be massaged to work with Epyrus.
Thanks, I'll take a look. Do you know if that will run under Wine in Linux?