Ummm, why is this thread so quiet?

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Ummm, why is this thread so quiet?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-02-21, 00:10

Hello again,

I'm not seeking here to raise anyone's hackles or otherwise sow discord. I'd merely like to observe that we've kindly and generously (it's free!) been provided with what I contend is a masterpiece in the realm of email clients and that I'm sort of surprised at how little feedback it's generated.

I don't know athenian200, but I can only repeat the implicit endorsement of Epyrus I've made in other posts. Having written this, and following the thread daily, I also recognize that at present, he seems to have his attention on other topics. I am not seeking here to elicit a reply from him.

Furthermore, I don't know how qualified anyone else feels in regard to answering the questions raised by myself and others. And I hope it goes without saying that, of course, no one "owes" me - or anyone else - a reply.

OK, that's it.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Ummm, why is this thread so quiet?

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-02-21, 00:34

Personally epyrus continues to work perfectly for my needs, and the forum questions that were asked I have no data to respond with -
a) SumatraPDF - I don't use Windows
b) oauth2 - I don't use google anything
c) unified inbox - I don't use it
d) customizing Epyrus to look like interlink - I never used interlink, so have no opinion

Maybe others are in the same boat as me?

Sometimes silence is a sign of peace and tranquility.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-02-21, 00:51

Thanks andyprough.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-02-21, 02:49

Also, the fact that things are quieter now can be interpreted as a positive sign that Epyrus has reached the stage where most of the big problems are ironed out and people are able to use it comfortably as a daily driver email client.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by andy80 » 2023-02-21, 08:17

I am using Epyrus daily and I can say that I have no problems with it. The only issue I had was caused by the operating system.

As andyprough, I don't use oauth2 or try to mimick Interlink (as theme, I use Nuvola after changing the install.rdf file to be recognized by Epyrus); I have few pop accounts with all mails downloaded flawlessly to a single local inbox.
My current setting is the result of porting it through multiple tools (Netscape mail, Thunderbird, Fossa Mail, Interlink, Epyrus) and I seldom change the configuration.

As said earlier, I can help with the Italian localization, as soon as athenian200 starts working on it.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-02-21, 10:20

My thanks for the two most recent posts.

As I've indicated, I, too, am extremely happy with Epyrus.

It's my only email client now, and I use in conjunction with a program called MailWasher. The combination works great.

Downloading and sending mail with Epyrus is faster than it's ever been in my over 25 years or so working with good old email via Netscape, Phoenix, and then Thunderbird.
:D

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-02-21, 11:12

Also no major issues with Epyrus (apart from those two issues/topics which received no reply), but an indication that athenian200 is still fully behind the project would be nice.

About security updates: I know they are far less relevant on an email client, but I'd still like to know whether they apply and if so, whether Epyrus will be getting them.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-21, 12:06

back2themoon wrote:
2023-02-21, 11:12
About security updates: I know they are far less relevant on an email client, but I'd still like to know whether they apply and if so, whether Epyrus will be getting them.
You're pretty much required to have active content to exploit security issues. Scripting is not allowed in e-mails, so that pretty much rules that out. The issues left would be few and far between, but of course anything that lands in UXP will be adopted by Epyrus by building on it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2023-02-24, 20:06

Agree. Have been using Ep for months now, and very happy with it. Such achievements are possible only by standing on the shoulders of giants and past trailblazers. In this realm, also by seeing downfall that is 'modern trends', and courageously going the better way.

Reminds me of a software company that was coding to a specific hardware platform. They added alll tha featurez and fixed alll tha bugz over twenty years. Customers were completely satisfied, and maintenance releases were no longer produced nor needed, so they stopped subscribing to annual maintenance / support contracts. With no revenue, the company shut down. At the end they sold licenses with all tha source codez to whoever needed to support their own installations.

Certainly not exactly the same situation here, but maybe roughly parallel for the quietness.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2023-02-25, 07:13

The update checker doesn't work though.
I keep getting an error telling me Epyrus wasn't able to determine whether an update is available, and to get a new version from <link missing>