Will Epyrus support languagepacks at any time?

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

Lothar Weber
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Will Epyrus support languagepacks at any time?

Unread post by Lothar Weber » 2023-01-27, 08:54

Or can some old Thunderbird languagepacks made compatible to Epyrus by editing the xpi-file?

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Will Epyrus support languagepacks at any time?

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-27, 17:27

Yes, Epyrus’s developer hopes to support language packs. That, as far as I know, none have yet been made is as each pack would need its own supporting team, as it is for Pale Moon, and no such group has yet emerged for Epyrus. (I wonder whether any of Pale Moon’s translation teams would be willing to extend support to Epyrus…)
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Will Epyrus support languagepacks at any time?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-02-25, 21:15

Lothar Weber wrote:
2023-01-27, 08:54
Or can some old Thunderbird languagepacks made compatible to Epyrus by editing the xpi-file?
I think you can, and they do kind of work, but not perfectly. Some stuff under the hood with UXP has changed since those langpacks were created, and they would display the wrong product name, etc. But you can definitely try it.

One langpack was actually created for the Italian language a while back as a test to see if it was possible, but I haven't streamed lined the process enough to be able to walk anyone else through it yet.

It's still on the agenda, but I do not have as much free time as I initially planned this year because I wound up going back to school.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind