Mac builds

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Mac builds

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-11-26, 00:46

I have had people request classic Thunderbird fixed for Ventura... I suggested I could start doing Mac builds of Epyrus... would it be possible for me to do official Mac builds of Epyrus? Are there any requirements for the branding or anything else? :)

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Mac builds

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2022-11-27, 10:29

Hi dbsoft. athenian200 hasn't checked into this forum since 2022-11-22, so we'll see when he replies :thumbup:
Intel MacBook (MacBookPro15,4) with macOS Ventura, Monterey and Big Sur

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-27, 12:45

LeeBinder wrote:
2022-11-27, 10:29
athenian200 hasn't checked into this forum since 2022-11-22
Thanksgiving week. No real surprise, eh?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2022-11-27, 13:17

Not in EU, at least not that time of the year. Believe it or not, there's countries outside of the US. No real surprise, eh .. :roll: ?

(also athenian200 writes he resides in "Georgia". Which one depends on perspective/ continental horizon).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-27, 18:26

LeeBinder wrote:
2022-11-27, 13:17
Not in EU, at least not that time of the year. Believe it or not, there's countries outside of the US. No real surprise, eh .. :roll: ?
Why so much snark? :|
Believe it or not, there's people inside the US too. Please don't project your own circumstances on the rest of the world.
FTR, I'm in the EU. I'm just well-aware of US holidays as well.
LeeBinder wrote:
2022-11-27, 13:17
he resides in "Georgia". Which one
I'll let you think a minute about what would be the most likely.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-27, 20:42

Ah, sorry I've not been checking in. It's fine if you want to do Mac builds of Epyrus, though. Just me know if you need any help, like an example .mozconfig or something.

I'm really finding that I feel way in over my head with even trying to keep up with people's questions about Epyrus, let alone even doing actual development work on it now... I feel like I can barely maintain what I've built sometimes, let alone improve it. Maybe it's just that it's the holidays and there's too much else going on... I'm trying to not focus on the development too much for now because I really want to spend time with family, if I am being honest. It's that time of year when all the holidays are right up against each other between Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Apologies for disappearing so suddenly.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-11-27, 20:52

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-27, 20:42
Apologies for disappearing so suddenly.
No need to apologize! The holidays can be overwhelming! Thank you for all your work on it!

I created a .mozconfig based on what I use for White Star/Pale Moon... but I'd prefer to follow yours as closely as possible, so if you could post it that would be great. A pull request for Mac branding files and some updates for the Info.plist for new versions of MacOS coming in the next hour. :)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-27, 21:07

dbsoft wrote:
2022-11-27, 20:52
No need to apologize! The holidays can be overwhelming! Thank you for all your work on it!

I created a .mozconfig based on what I use for White Star/Pale Moon... but I'd prefer to follow yours as closely as possible, so if you could post it that would be great. A pull request for Mac branding files and some updates for the Info.plist for new versions of MacOS coming in the next hour. :)
I will get you a copy of mine. :)

I have been keeping up with Gitea more because I get e-mail notifications for that, and I still check my e-mail. But the forums are a bit more of a thing where I have to remember to login, and if I don't, I have no idea what happened here.

Code: Select all

# Clear this if not a 64bit build
_BUILD_64=1

# Standard build options for Epyrus
ac_add_options --enable-application=mail
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -w"
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options --enable-av1
ac_add_options --enable-jxl
ac_add_options --enable-calendar
ac_add_options --enable-security-sqlstore
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --with-pthreads

ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1

# Processor architecture specific build options
if [ -n "$_BUILD_64" ]; then
  ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib64
else
  ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib
fi

export MOZ_PKG_SPECIAL=gtk3
This is a cleaned-up one that should work for Linux, based heavily on the Pale Moon .mozconfig obviously. Hopefully you can adapt that to Mac. The updater isn't enabled here, if you want to enable updates we'd have to work out a way to deal with MAR generation and uploads, etc. I'm just now getting any kind of handle on that stuff, and according to some others I'm still having issues with add-on updates not working properly in Epyrus.

P.S. Thanks for taking an interest in doing the Mac builds. I couldn't make them happen without you or someone else stepping up. I wanted to keep the option open from the beginning, but I really had no idea if anyone would want Epyrus on Mac. I am glad people wanted it, though, even if the timing is a little odd.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-11-27, 21:58

Only issue I am having is Epyrus doesn't like the --enable-jxl ... I assume you just haven't committed that support yet?

The timing is entirely because I was helping Waterfox Classic and Seamonkey support Ventura, and Lee asked if I could get the old Thunderbird working on Ventura too.... since it had the transparent window problem that all of these browsers did. Seemed to me I should support your project and most of the work to support Ventura is already in UXP. :)

https://github.com/WaterfoxCo/Waterfox- ... 1322481961

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-11-28, 01:27

First successful Mac builds, I have not really tested them with actual mail, but the user interface works if people want to try it out:

Intel: https://dbsoft.org/epyrus/epyrus-2.0.0.mac64.dmg
ARM: https://dbsoft.org/epyrus/epyrus-2.0.0.mac.dmg

Update: Seems to be working perfectly with my gmail account... will try my other accounts soon.

And just to make sure I am in compliance with the MPL.... Source: Epyrus UXP
Last edited by dbsoft on 2022-11-28, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-28, 04:02

dbsoft wrote:
2022-11-27, 21:58
Only issue I am having is Epyrus doesn't like the --enable-jxl ... I assume you just haven't committed that support yet?
Yeah, to be fair I hadn't actually tested that flag yet, so an option I hadn't used yet slipped in to the one I sent you somehow. Let's just say I am not as meticulous as I should be sometimes... leaving that flag out shouldn't be a big deal, though. Not sure how many people will embed JPEG-XL files in e-mails anyway.

Glad to hear the Mac builds were successful though!

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2022-11-28, 07:14

Mighty fine, dbsoft, I'm thrilled! Am off to work now - can either do a first test run tonite or tomorrow.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-11-28, 12:14

LeeBinder wrote:
2022-11-28, 07:14
Mighty fine, dbsoft, I'm thrilled! Am off to work now - can either do a first test run tonite or tomorrow.
Let me know how it goes!

Things are looking great on my end, my personal email and my gmail both loaded perfectly. I have just been running the latest Thunderbird on my Big Sur machine most of the time... but if I switch over to this full time I can get some serious stress testing done.

Screenshot of Epyrus on MacOS 13 Ventura

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2022-11-28, 21:55

just got home, much too late already - just had time for a quick test tonite, using Thunderbird's profile folder -> all working on first glance incl. extensions and theme. Should be able to run more tests tomorrow. Well done, Brian!

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-11-28, 23:53

The appearance of the tabs and the toolbar buttons will have to be fixed at some point to remove some of the leftover Australis styling, as was done with the theme for both Linux and Windows.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-11-29, 02:12

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-11-28, 23:53
The appearance of the tabs and the toolbar buttons will have to be fixed at some point to remove some of the leftover Australis styling, as was done with the theme for both Linux and Windows.
I am ok with the look myself, but if you think it can be improved I'm all for it!

Also, I copied my Thunderbird 102 profile over and plugged it into Epyrus and it just worked... kind of shocked the profiles are still compatible!

So now running it as my primary email client to test.

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2022-11-29, 22:10

No issues so far :thumbup:, with my TB 52.9.1 profile plugged into your Epyrus for macOS build!

Yes, tabs and buttons don't look as silky-smooth as in TB, but that's just cosmetic. Can post comparative screenshots hopefully tomorrow.

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2022-12-04, 22:53

From what I can tell, all of my legacy/ XUL Extensions are working fine :thumbup: :wave:

Also here's the screenshot clips TB 52.9.1 vs. Epyrus 2.0:
TB.jpg
Epyrus.jpg
I'm pretty sure I'd be able to add rounded/ curved tab corners via CSS (but for now that's not significant = not on my to-do list)

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-12-05, 04:47

LeeBinder wrote:
2022-12-04, 22:53
I'm pretty sure I'd be able to add rounded/ curved tab corners via CSS (but for now that's not significant = not on my to-do list)
Oh yeah I remember those curved tabs now, been a while since I ran Thunderbird 52.... didn't really bother me not having them, but I guess they do look better and more sharp.

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2023-01-06, 20:20

Hi @dbsoft :wave:

The Betterbird team just published a fix for the ancient bug Drag and drop of message(s) to Desktop and Finder stopped working in macOS High Sierra:

https://github.com/Betterbird/thunderbi ... -mac.patch

It's also still present in Epyrus.

Is the code compatible with your Epyrus for Mac code, or if not, can be made compatible hopefully without too many stretches?

(BTW, it might be worth it to trace Betterbird /thunderbird-patches for other old TB bugs)