Moving away from Fossamail

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Moving away from Fossamail

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-11-05, 18:33

This will work, right? Just copy the profiles... right?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Moving away from Fossamail

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-05, 20:21

I honestly am not sure. I am considering implementing a more proper way to import mail from Fossamail, so if you want to wait for that, that might be preferable.

I do know other people have done it successfully, but others have run into issues depending on what extensions they use. That's very much an "at your own risk" kind of thing, and may or may not work out for you. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's where we are right now.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-05, 21:28

FossaMail profiles -should- migrate forward without any issue. One thing you may want to do is remove a master password if you're using it before trying to migrate, then reinstate afterwards.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-11-06, 16:13

My wife's work notebook I had to finally reinstall was the guinea pig (I had backup :D).
Worked like a charm - but then again I don't use any extensions and didn't even know they were a thing, lol.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-07, 04:12

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2022-11-06, 16:13
Worked like a charm - but then again I don't use any extensions and didn't even know they were a thing, lol.
Glad to hear it! :)

Yeah, that is where the problems usually come in. My experience is that usually if people have kept things very "stock," there are fewer issues, and it's when they've decked everything out with extensions and themes that things get more complicated.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-07, 04:27

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-07, 04:12
if people have kept things very "stock," there are fewer issues, and it's when they've decked everything out with extensions and themes that things get more complicated.
Off-topic:
That was probably a justification Mozilla used to strip all customizatibility/extensibility from Firefox :(
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX