What do you think of Epyrus 2.0.0? Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

What do you think of Epyrus 2.0.0?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-01, 00:04

This is the thread for discussion/feedback about the release, and I'm keeping it separate from the release announcement thread. Let me know what you think, etc.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: What do you think of Epyrus 2.0.0?

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-01, 00:42

Might be a good idea to rename the other thread as 'release announcements' or similar, you can keep it locked and only use it when there's a new version out.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2022-11-01, 10:28

Thank you for the update, I guess themes have the usual strict compatibility checks so I shouldn't be surprised that 'classic tb2' needs a bump. :thumbup:

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-01, 11:51

Potkeny wrote:
2022-11-01, 10:28
Thank you for the update, I guess themes have the usual strict compatibility checks so I shouldn't be surprised that 'classic tb2' needs a bump. :thumbup:
I was kind of hoping for some feedback on the new default theme, honestly... though I do get that a lot of people love that ClassicTB2 theme for some reason.

Hmm... maybe you didn't notice because it still has the menu bar enabled from the alpha? Try disabling the menu bar from the right-click menu so you can see the new default theme while you're waiting for your old one to be fixed. I think it's really cool, though maybe that is in part because I've been anticipating being able to put it out for months now. :)

EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot... on Linux it won't look much different because I'm keeping the menu bar on there.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-01, 12:06

Yeah Classic TB2 will be updated for Epyrus 2.0 when i'm not in the middle of releasing something myself ;)

I like the new theme, with the exception of the wider spacing (especially in the tree view in the left pane). tree view items also seem to be slightly misaligned because of the extra spacing (text labels are floating a bit "high" next to the icons). Maybe you can fix both issues in one go by making it like 1-2px more compact per item or so. see boxed labels in the attached image.
Another thing you may want to consider is slightly emboldening the borders between the different panes. Right now all of it is 1px and the same grey color, which reduces clarity of the different sections of the client (1. should be bolder than 2. in the attached image).
Thirdly, I have issue with the mix of monochrome and color icon elements. It's kind of jarring that folder indicators for special folders, tabs, etc. are color, but the main navigation/action icons are all a monochrome dark grey. You either have to make all of it monochrome or all of it color to have something coherent. I know this is primarily a thunderbird fault, but still wanted to point it out.
Attachments
epurus20-1.jpg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2022-11-01, 12:47

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-01, 11:51

I was kind of hoping for some feedback on the new default theme, honestly... though I do get that a lot of people love that ClassicTB2 theme for some reason.
I actually did see the new theme, I was installing Epyrus on my "other" PC (where I used the non-epyrus client until today) now that auto-update is in, and got the expected "theme can't be installed".

I quite like the orange color of The Button, and after realizing that "icons and text" exists as an option (just not default), it's nice to look at and feels perfectly usable for me. (With only icons [no text], the buttons were too small for my taste, but others might like that way more, good to have options.)

And the Config editor entry is cool! :D

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-01, 12:49

Potkeny wrote:
2022-11-01, 12:47
I am really glad you noticed that one, that's the one that was all my idea. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-01, 13:06

Potkeny wrote:
2022-11-01, 12:47
Oh yeah it's great to have a direct shortcut to it from the menu instead of having to jump through 4 or 5 hoops ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2022-11-02, 08:30

Is there some setting I missed where you can change the "default" for the toolbars?

Right now I'm changing it every time I open a window not-yet-used by me (from icons to icons+texts), but feels like there is (should be?) some place where its doable with one change?

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-11-02, 11:00

Try closing all open Epyrus windows except one window, and on that last open window, set the toolbar settings via Customize. After that, restart Epyrus. Your changes should take effect in all newly-opened windows.

puppyX
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by puppyX » 2022-11-02, 11:17

:clap: On my Win 7 pro 64bit, Epyrus 2.0.0 is being used after a successful migration from Interlink. I like the familiar GUI and so far smooth running. :thumbup:
And I too like the orange 'Epyrus' button.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2022-11-02, 16:03

I am going to sound stupid but where do I download the linux tarball for this. I would love to test it.

Also, how does updating work on Linux currently? Is auto-updating working, or does one have to manually download and extract new releases (tarballs)?

Thanks
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-02, 16:52

fatboy wrote:
2022-11-02, 16:03
I am going to sound stupid but where do I download the linux tarball for this. I would love to test it.

Also, how does updating work on Linux currently? Is auto-updating working, or does one have to manually download and extract new releases (tarballs)?

Thanks
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29026

Very last item on the list after the four Windows options.

The auto-update works on Linux, but you do have to download and extract an initial tarball to your user directory. There is no Linux version of the installer...

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2022-11-03, 11:40

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-11-02, 11:00
Try closing all open Epyrus windows except one window, and on that last open window, set the toolbar settings via Customize. After that, restart Epyrus. Your changes should take effect in all newly-opened windows.
Sorry, I think I didn't use precise enough terms, I was thinking about this:

Main window with icons+texts, address book with icons only
icons_texts.PNG
I have to change "icons" to "icons and texts" in every "different window" one by one, unless there is some setting I couldn't find (which is ofc possible).

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-11-03, 22:19

Hi,

I updated to 2.0 today. In general, I'm very happy with the progress of Epyrus, and I congratulate the dev.

A couple of points ...

I've been using an ancient add-on called "FlatStyle for Thunderbird", v. 0.9.2.3.
(This gives you a style similar to MS Office XP in your menus and toolbars. It also changes the category-selector in the options window to use your system colors, instead of always being blue. And it gives you the extra options to remove the dropdown from the Get New Messages button, and to remove the dividing lines between menus. Based on FlatStyle for Firefox by Andreas Westerlind.)

Theoretically, it works with Epyrus, but not really. When it's enabled, it breaks the "Customize" function completely. I've just got rid of it.

For people who are worried whether a line is 1-2 pixels too wide or too narrow, you might have a look at the add-on "Classic Toolbar Buttons" by Aris, who, IMHO is the greatest Mozilla UX expert out there.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-03, 22:52

JoeyG wrote:
2022-11-03, 22:19
The about dialog box being cut off like that on Linux is a known issue, and I am working on it. I didn't notice it until I had built all four Windows versions and then finally built the Linux version. I just decided it wasn't a big enough issue to block release, especially since the Windows side was done and people don't really stare at the about box all the time. And you can resize it to read all the text if you want.

The font being dark like that isn't supposed to be the case, though. It's supposed to be white, and it is even on Linux for me. I'm not sure why it is green for you, but it was never intended to be that color and I'm not sure what's going on there.
I've been using an ancient add-on called "FlatStyle for Thunderbird", v. 0.9.2.3.
(This gives you a style similar to MS Office XP in your menus and toolbars. It also changes the category-selector in the options window to use your system colors, instead of always being blue. And it gives you the extra options to remove the dropdown from the Get New Messages button, and to remove the dividing lines between menus. Based on FlatStyle for Firefox by Andreas Westerlind.)

Theoretically, it works with Epyrus, but not really. When it's enabled, it breaks the "Customize" function completely. I've just got rid of it.
Yeah, Epyrus has actually started making changes from stock Thunderbird for the new default theme, and that might well mean that some extensions have to be adapted to how Epyrus does things now. It can probably be fixed, though I would have to look into it and ask around about that.
For people who are worried whether a line is 1-2 pixels too wide or too narrow, you might have a look at the add-on "Classic Toolbar Buttons" by Aris, who, IMHO is the greatest Mozilla UX expert out there.
Good to have an option in case people want to tweak further, of course.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-03, 23:03

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-03, 22:52
I'm not sure why it is green for you, but it was never intended to be that color and I'm not sure what's going on there.
If the color isn't actually hard-set in aboutDialog.css you may want to do that, otherwise system themes may be able to override it.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-11-03, 23:15

Thanks for your reply.

The about dialog box being cut off like that on Linux is a known issue, and I am working on it. I didn't notice it until I had built all four Windows versions and then finally built the Linux version.

-> I'm using Win 7 x64.

The font being dark like that isn't supposed to be the case, though. It's supposed to be white, and it is even on Linux for me. I'm not sure why it is green for you, but it was never intended to be that color and I'm not sure what's going on there.

-> I have an NEC PA272W running on a Matrox 680. While neither is "the latest and the greatest", I think both are reasonably good devices. I have no explanation either.

I've been using an ancient add-on called "FlatStyle for Thunderbird", v. 0.9.2.3. ...

... It can probably be fixed, though I would have to look into it and ask around about that.

-> I'd say don't bother. I don't necessarily want or need it, and I'm sure you have more valuable things to do with your time.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-04, 00:04

JoeyG wrote:
2022-11-03, 23:15
The about dialog box being cut off like that on Linux is a known issue, and I am working on it. I didn't notice it until I had built all four Windows versions and then finally built the Linux version.

-> I'm using Win 7 x64.
Well, it works fine for me. Why is the text in the dialog so big, incidentally? Just noticed that's a lot bigger than it is supposed to be...

It doesn't seem like the text in the about dialog can handle any kind of change in the default font size or text color from what I assume it will be gracefully, and the issues with that started after I enabled the updater.

I have no idea how I am supposed to fix this, honestly. I've tried everything that should work on a normal CSS/HTML situation, but the about dialog won't respond properly to anything along the lines of "break-word" or anything else I can think of that should make the text detect a boundary and flow around it. :/
Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-03, 23:03
If the color isn't actually hard-set in aboutDialog.css you may want to do that, otherwise system themes may be able to override it.
https://repo.palemoon.org/athenian200/e ... log.css#L9

Hmm... it looks like it's set to me. I don't know. Maybe there is a Windows 7 specific problem, but I don't have a Windows 7 system to test on.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-11-04, 00:16

I think the problem with the font size is that l have my monitor set to 135%.