What do you think of Epyrus 2.0.0? Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: What do you think of Epyrus 2.0.0?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-04, 00:40

JoeyG wrote:
2022-11-04, 00:16
I think the problem with the font size is that l have my monitor set to 135%.
That makes sense actually.

Just to test quickly, could you set that to 100% temporarily and see if it stops cutting off? I'm kind of dependent on hard-coded pixel sizes for everything and didn't account for scaling fonts or whatever because it just didn't cross my mind...

It looks like this may be a problem that I am totally dependent on everything matching up with Windows font metrics at 100% scaling, and anything that deviates from that results in the text looking wrong. Maybe I need to totally redo that dialog box... or even just switch it out for a tab that acts more like a normal web page. In any case, I'll figure something out by the time there's another release. This is really just more embarrassing than something that makes it unusable.

Actually, since I can't rely on text being rendered correctly, maybe I should replace the text parts of the dialog box with all static images? Going to have to give it some thought... anyway, thank you for letting me know this affects at least some Windows installations as well. I previously thought this was a Linux issue.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2022-11-04, 08:21

I've been using Epyrus since late July, I think.

I also think that that statement says nearly all that needs to be said.

With 2.0.0, I have got an incompatible add-on (QuickFolders), but I'm trying to live without it.

My thanks and congratulations to Athenian200.
Usually, I'm wrong. But, sometimes, I'm right.
Usually, I'm Left. But, sometimes, I'm Right.
Usually, I'm left-handed. But, sometimes, I'm right-handed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-04, 12:52

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-04, 00:04
https://repo.palemoon.org/athenian200/e ... log.css#L9

Hmm... it looks like it's set to me. I don't know. Maybe there is a Windows 7 specific problem, but I don't have a Windows 7 system to test on.
Keep in mind it's also determined by the base css in content https://repo.palemoon.org/athenian200/e ... Dialog.css

IIRC i worked around the scaling issues by explicitly setting an absolute font size for text in Pale Moon's about box
Going for static images would be a last-ditch effort I'd try to avoid at all costs since it makes release maintenance so much more burdensome.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-11-04, 13:08

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-04, 00:40
JoeyG wrote:
2022-11-04, 00:16
I think the problem with the font size is that l have my monitor set to 135%.
That makes sense actually.

Just to test quickly, could you set that to 100% temporarily and see if it stops cutting off? I'm kind of dependent on hard-coded pixel sizes for everything and didn't account for scaling fonts or whatever because it just didn't cross my mind...
Bad news; here it is with the font resolution at 100%. It appears to have nothing to do with my monitor resolution settings.

Just for the record, the native resolution of my NEC PA272W is 2560x1440.
As you can see, unfortunately, it's still truncated.

Oh, and it only "looks big" here because that's how I saved the screenshot.
athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-04, 00:40
It looks like this may be a problem that I am totally dependent on everything matching up with Windows font metrics at 100% scaling, and anything that deviates from that results in the text looking wrong. ...
I'm afraid I have no idea, but if I can be of any other help, please feel free to PM me.

Have a nice weekend.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2022-11-04, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-04, 13:11

Joey, are you perhaps using an extension that changes UI font colors and sizes? or using a different theme?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-11-04, 13:21

Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-04, 13:11
Joey, are you perhaps using an extension that changes UI font colors and sizes? or using a different theme?
I'm not sure. Here are my extensions.
And I'm using the native theme.

Hmmm, maybe Theme Tweaker? Oh! :o I just noticed that Theme Tweaker doesn't work right in the new version of Epyrus: When you click on it under "Tools", nothing happens. I think it was OK in the previous version, but I can't check because I only have the new version on the two machines on which I use Epyrus.

Anyway, as you can clearly see, there's an overall "green" tint to my system. This is intentional and related to the various color settings Windows 7 permits.

Hmmm, I also just noticed that the entire Epyrus "add-ons" site is screwed up. I think someone mentioned a problem with Phoebus ...
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-04, 14:27

Yup, Theme Tweaker would be what is causing this

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-11-04, 14:35

-> Theme Tweaker ...

OK, thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-04, 14:39

I apologize for the add-ons site being iffy. it's because of rather disjointed design and opaque php that I'm having to go through; also throw in some random additional errors dealing with file system permissions to give extra headaches...
As it is now, uploading updates and downloading Epyrus extensions SHOULD be fixed.

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2022-11-06, 19:45

The intrusive orange colored 'tab' at the top left corner of the 'main' screen introduced in Epyrus 2.0.0
interferes with whatever function is currently being used. E.g. Orange menu thing overlays left portion of the
word 'Inbox' or 'Trash' or whatever. This occurs in a normal (not maximized) window on an assortment
of laptops with nominal 15 inch screens . OS as listed below in profile. Users quite content with menu as hamburger
menu located on far right of Mail Toolbar.

Much prefer the look of the 'perimeter border' under Epyrus ver. 1.3.0.

Tried Classic TB2 theme, no thanks.

Also, any way to get the type and color of the icons/text used in Interlink to populate the Mail Toolbar?

Thanks for the product.
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-11-07, 01:12

Just installed it - looks and feels great. :thumbup:

Still haven't managed to get rid of Gmail accounts so... what happens when adding more than one account? I only see one pair of oauth2.google.clientid/clientsecret prefs. This is what I did:

1. Followed this thread and the Claws Mail FAQ to successfully create credentials for the first account.
2. Started Epyrus, added the account with config details and OAuth/password (did not change clientid/clientsecret yet)
3. It worked fine, which confused me a bit. I read later a Google prompt that "it's unverified and will probably stop working soon", so I assume this 'working' status is temporary.
4. I then manually replaced the default/current clientid/clientsecret values with my own. The current ones were different from those I've created. The account stopped working.
5. Cleared the entire profile, started over and this time I replaced clientid/clientsecret before creating the account. Again, the account worked right off the start. Hopefully, it won't stop working.

Not sure what to do now with a second, or more accounts. Where do the additional clientid/clientsecret values go?

Also, noticed that the Send Options window alone is slightly cropped at the bottom (using 125% DPI):
cropped 01.png

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-07, 02:22

The first pair I created for Epyrus might still be working. It should work for a while as long as I don't have too many users using it too often, but at some point it may stop. Also, it's worth noting that if you change the OAuth2 stuff, you generally have to restart Epyrus before things will work properly. Not sure whether it is necessary to create an entirely new profile, though I will take your word that it might be needed in some situations.
back2themoon wrote:
2022-11-07, 01:12
Not sure what to do now with a second, or more accounts. Where do the additional clientid/clientsecret values go?
That's really not how I intended for that to work. It's not supposed to be "per account" if you have more than one Gmail account, the first pair you create is supposed to work with multiple accounts. I haven't tested this, but it might be that you would have to use the Gmail account that you created the clientid/clientsecret on, and add the other Gmail accounts to the list of authorized users on that account depending on how you set it up.

What you have to bear in mind, is that what I'm really supposed to do is put Epyrus through some kind of Google validation process to create a REAL OAuth2 key that works for all users. What you're doing is working around that process by creating your own OAuth2 key, as if you were the one developing an application and using test accounts with it. But in theory, OAuth2 keys should work for more than one account, but there's an upper limit on them.

I know it's pretty hacky, and that's why a lot of e-mail clients weren't willing to engage with OAuth2 at all. The only way it can be implemented in an unvalidated client is basically what you see here... and it's quite confusing for users, because it isn't really meant to be a user facing thing in the first place.

Also, how do you get to the Send Options window? I've never seen that window before in my life, I don't have the first clue where to look to check on what you're saying... EDIT: I found it. It looks fine on 100% scaling, but I think the Epyrus UI may not handle changing the DPI very well. Maybe I should try making the window a bit longer and hope it doesn't overflow as easily when people using different DPI?
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-11-07, 04:28

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-01, 00:04
This is the thread for discussion/feedback about the release, and I'm keeping it separate from the release announcement thread. Let me know what you think, etc.
In your release post you said something about using a new .mozconfig. I was wondering if I could get a copy? I want to build a version of Epyrus for one of my 32-bit Linux systems, and another for one of my specialized 64-bit Linux systems. If you are willing to send me what you are using now, I think I can make it work for my needs.

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2022-11-07, 06:48

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-07, 02:22
I haven't tested this, but it might be that you would have to use the Gmail account that you created the clientid/clientsecret on, and add the other Gmail accounts to the list of authorized users on that account depending on how you set it up.
That works, I'm using my 2 gmail accounts like that (but I have no idea if more could work this way).

Made the id/secret on X, and when setting up Y, it simply asked for allowing the "app" the same way the built-in asks, just the "developer email" was switched from yours to X.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-07, 07:04

OAuth key/secret isn't account-bound but rather person-bound. You can have as many gmail accounts on it as you like (within reason, of course) as long as you don't hit their business use threshold (whatever that is set as internally, only Google knows). So for normal, personal use you should be fine getting it once then using it for all your accounts and devices.

By the way, @athenian200 -- been using Epyrus 2.0.0 as my daily driver for.. a week now? No issues seen whatsoever. it's all smooth sailing, even with my integration of enigmail/pgp and having literal gigabytes of mail stored from > a decade, using a wild mix of account types (except OAuth2 because fuck Google's strong-arming with "webby" authentication that I don't trust in a mail client)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-11-07, 10:02

About OAuth: ok understood, thank you all for clarifying how key/secret works.

About the Send Options window: it also looks normal here on 100% DPI.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-11-07, 11:07

View/Toolbars/Folder Pane Toolbar

In the drop-down, I think an indication (checkmark?) to show what's enabled is missing. Again, 125% DPI - haven't tested 100.
folders.png
folders.png (3.52 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Also, were these always mutually exclusive? Wasn't it possible to enable for example both Unified Folders and Favorite Folders?

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-11-07, 12:23

Wife has been using it for a day and I messed around with it during reinstallation and getting everything on the ntb working, and honestly, it just works just like anything else (which is a good thing). It mostly has the same codebase as Fossamail and whatever, right? Meaning there's no reason it should be any different than the "competition"...

Henk D
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Henk D » 2022-11-07, 16:22

4 addons which I have used for years don't work any more with this version. They did work with older Epyrus versions and Fossamail.

uBlock Origin, SelectionSK, ThunderBrowse, Archive This.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2022-11-07, 17:44

Using it on Linux, So far so good. Liking the overall user experience.

my biggest "complaint" is that the email client don't use installed icons, but maybe that is intended behaviour?
Oh, I would like to have a few more themes to install, but that's a minor issue
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux