What do you think of Epyrus 2.0.0? Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: What do you think of Epyrus 2.0.0?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-07, 21:55

Henk D wrote:
2022-11-07, 16:22
uBlock Origin,
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I don't think we ever supported uBO? For one thing, it's not listed on the add-ons site and never has been. For another, why would you even need that in an e-mail client, I'm a bit confused? I understood that to be a browser extension.
ThunderBrowse
Umm... I never intended for people to be able to browse the web using Epyrus, and I'm kind of amazed anyone was able to pull that off with just an extension. I intended Epyrus to be used alongside Pale Moon as a browser from the beginning. I imagine that an add-on like this is technically possible, but it's certainly inferior to what Pale Moon and other applications intended to serve as browsers would provide.
SelectionSK, Archive This
I can't find much information on what exactly SelectionSK does, and I can't find anything at all about Archive This. It sounds like a situation where those might need to be adapted to Epyrus, though, because I'm sure there are consequences in terms of add-on compatibility of me choosing to not just stick with Australis as the default Epyrus theme. I am really happy with the new Epyrus theme, though, and I intend to keep it regardless of this.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-11-07, 21:59

I'm running into the same issue I had in the past with Gmail/OAuth2 accounts.

At almost every Epyrus startup, one of the accounts will 'reset' (possible corruption of .msf files?) so:

a) its column customizations and sort order are reset to default
b) messages are being re-download/re-indexed/synchronized all over again

This issue was solved in the past by ditching OAuth2 and switching to standard password authentication.

I'm confident this will also solve the issue with Epyrus, so I'll try 2FA/app passwords for Google accounts for now.

This keeps happening on the same Gmail account, not all of them - so I got suspicious. Upon further testing, this seems to be triggered by enabling "When getting new messages for this account, always check this folder" on an extra folder I've created in that account.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-07, 22:16

back2themoon wrote:
2022-11-07, 21:59
This issue was solved in the past by ditching OAuth2 and switching to standard password authentication.

I'm confident this will also solve the issue with Epyrus, so I'll try 2FA/app passwords for Google accounts for now.
I'm definitely understanding if some people prefer that approach, but I am not satisfied with completely ditching OAuth2 as a "solution." I regard that as more of a workaround. I'm not convinced that Google will always allow app passwords of this type, which is why I want to keep the feature in even if it can be a bit of a hassle to get working. Worse, AOL already seems to require OAuth2 with no fallback to app passwords, to the point that even Microsoft Outlook was broken with those accounts for a few months until they were granted an AOL client ID or something.
back2themoon wrote:
2022-11-07, 21:59
This keeps happening on the same Gmail account, not all of them - so I got suspicious. Upon further testing, this seems to be triggered by enabling "When getting new messages for this account, always check this folder" on an extra folder I've created in that account.
That makes a lot of sense... that could be a consequence of how OAuth2 works and interacts with that specific feature. Thanks for noticing that! :)

Now that we know what the trigger is, I'll look into it for sure.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-11-07, 22:20

athenian200 wrote:
2022-11-07, 21:55
Henk D wrote:
2022-11-07, 16:22
uBlock Origin,
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I don't think we ever supported uBO? For one thing, it's not listed on the add-ons site and never has been. For another, why would you even need that in an e-mail client, I'm a bit confused? I understood that to be a browser extension.
ThunderBrowse
Umm... I never intended for people to be able to browse the web using Epyrus, and I'm kind of amazed anyone was able to pull that off with just an extension. I intended Epyrus to be used alongside Pale Moon as a browser from the beginning. I imagine that an add-on like this is technically possible, but it's certainly inferior to what Pale Moon and other applications intended to serve as browsers would provide.
I guess uBO or a similar type of extension would be useful in a HTML email viewing situation, but I don't know if an extension like that would work or even be installed in an email client..

A dozen lifetimes ago when I used ThunderBird, I also used that ThunderBrowse extension. I used it almost only for newsletter emails that contained links. Sometimes I experimented with 'how far along I could get it to go', as in, how much 'browsing' it could do. It was discontinued quite awhile ago, I don't remember which version it wouldn't work with anymore. I'm sure that info is available on the TB addon site, but it doesn't concern me any longer.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-07, 22:42

The old Adblock Plus used to work with Thunderbird, to filter trackers in HTML mail. Although that isn't necesssary since Thunderbird and other Mozilla/Netscape derived clients including probably Epyrus block remote image/script downloads in HTML mail by default.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-08, 00:23

moonbat wrote:
2022-11-07, 22:42
Thunderbird and other Mozilla/Netscape derived clients including probably Epyrus block remote image/script downloads in HTML mail by default.
I can confirm Epyrus blocks remote content by default (to, among other things, prevent "delivery tracking", i.e. knowing exactly when a user opened the mail, from which IP, which client, etc.).
On top, scripting in mail is simply disabled, which is an absolute necessity for a mail client's security. You don't want active content in e-mail bodies. So a remote script would have to pass 2 hurdles of which one is pretty hard and not simply bypassed through prompted user action.

One of the reason why using the mail client as a browser (through ThunderBrowse) should be considered outside of scope for the mail client is that it pretty much requires enabling JavaScript in the client, which will be a major risk (even if the extension would try to block it selectively, it has to be hard-enabled for content for this to work which makes for a pretty large attack surface). I doubt browsing would be very useful otherwise. If that is one's goal then a suite application like SeaMonkey would be a better choice that has explicit separation between browsing content and mail functionality.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-08, 00:30

Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-08, 00:23
On top, scripting in mail is simply disabled, which is an absolute necessity for a mail client's security.
Trouble is everyone's jumped onto the webmail bandwagon outside of corporates using Outlook/Exchange. Precious few people, like this community, who don't use the web browser as a substitute for every dedicated application in existence. So it pays off to include tracking parameters and the like in emails which are going to be viewed in a browser anyway, for those who haven't even heard of adblocking.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-11-08, 01:08

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2022-11-08, 00:30
..the webmail bandwagon..
The email service I use has a web portal and also allows a client to access their mail servers. I use the portal mostly for rules, filters, and spam settings, and an email client for only email. Although I could set any client to do the filter and spam thing itself, doing it the way I do benefits me because their computers are always on and mine isn't..
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-08, 01:23

Off-topic:
somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-11-08, 01:08
I use the portal mostly for rules, filters, and spam settings, and an email client for only email.
It's what I do with Gmail as well, the point is that most people don't use email clients at all and are subject to whatever tracking their emails contain if they don't block ads.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-11-09, 00:07

Welp on first opening of the various windows, on and after the first run of 2.0.0, all the toolbars displayed only icons, where the previous version had displayed icons with text. Fix: for each toolbar, use Customize, de-select and re-select "Show [Icons beside Text]", [Done]. Then the toolbars displayed as expected, even after re-starting EP. Did not see any obvious change in prefs.js.

[ ] Use Small Icons seems to do nothing. Can't stand the general trend of moving UIs to color-free / all-grey.

Reply and Reply All do nothing, whether from toolbar buttons nor menu items nor Ctrl-keys. WTH? Will have to revert to 1.3.0 until something gets an update. Turned off add-ons "Dorando KeyConfig" and "Close tab on ESC", restarted, and no difference. Next might try a blank profile with zero add-ons.

This is on Windows.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-11-09, 03:12

Welp on first opening of the various windows, on and after the first run of 2.0.0, all the toolbars displayed only icons, where the previous version had displayed icons with text.
That's not broken behavior, though. The new theme is designed that way (without text shown by default), because I think it looks nicer and saves space so people can have more toolbar icons if they want.
Can't stand the general trend of moving UIs to color-free / all-grey.
We were using the pre-Australis style icons from Thunderbird that happened to come in monochrome, but we will be adding in color soon. Already on the agenda.
Bilbo47 wrote:
2022-11-09, 00:07
Reply and Reply All do nothing, whether from toolbar buttons nor menu items nor Ctrl-keys. WTH? Will have to revert to 1.3.0 until something gets an update.
Those functions are working for me. This is likely fallout from the move from alpha to beta, and I did say what state of development the application was in already. It kind of feels like you're jumping the gun on deciding that the problem is on my end and that an update will be required to fix it. There is a reason why having the new theme is both a new major version and marks the move to the 2.x milestone... why do you think I was so hesitant to introduce automatic updates during the alpha? Because there could well be quirks like this associated in upgrading straight from the alpha to the beta.

Anyway, locking this thread since it is just turning into a place for people to submit bug reports. Just open a new thread if you are having a problem with Epyrus and want to know if it's a bug.