I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

What should the E-mail client be named?

Poll ended at 2022-05-22, 09:55

Epyrus
62%
Centrapost
10%
Hermopolis Mail
26%
Raphemail
No votes
Hermopost
2%

Total votes: 42

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-10, 17:33

wickedsp1d3r wrote:
2022-06-10, 16:47
After adding a network calendar (CalDAV), the application crashes and "Segmentation fault" is printed to command line.
I am using Linux version with a clean profile.
Well, I don't have any experience with CalDAV, but that is worrying that the application is getting into a state where it just segfaults. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-10, 20:50

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-10, 17:33
worrying that the application is getting into a state where it just segfaults.
Of course you'd want to avoid app crashes, but they are simply part of dealing with a large program too. if you want it to be entirely bug free you'll never release anything :)
At least app crashes tend to have fairly clear pointers to what part of the code is getting in trouble. check a call stack when it crashes?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-06-11, 03:42

Agree big thank you to athenian200 for taking this on! Working nicely here while building a profile from default.

wickedsp1d3r
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wickedsp1d3r » 2022-06-11, 10:47

distantpluto wrote:
2022-06-10, 17:09
wickedsp1d3r wrote:
2022-06-10, 16:47
After adding a network calendar (CalDAV), the application crashes and "Segmentation fault" is printed to command line.
I am using Linux version with a clean profile.
I'm using a couple of network CalDAV calendars, using radicale 3.1.7 on my home server and have not had any issue.

Maybe someone has some troubleshooting suggestions and then we could compare setups.
I try to add Mailbox.org's CalDAV calendar to the application. In case this information helps.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-11, 11:30

Speaking of Calendars. Athenian200, are you building the calendar code from your own forked code? If so i can get rid of one of the repos in holding on rpmo that are no longer needed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-11, 15:09

Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-11, 11:30
Speaking of Calendars. Athenian200, are you building the calendar code from your own forked code? If so i can get rid of one of the repos in holding on rpmo that are no longer needed.
Yeah, so far I am. I didn't actually know we had a calendar repo, though. I just wasn't thinking to make it separate because I'm planning to always build the calendar with the e-mail client. I might want to check if there are any patches in it that I don't have, but other than that I think the calendar code I have should be fine.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-11, 15:55

I just wasn't thinking to make it separate
Well be both know he has hated it from the start but kept the functionality only because I needed it for my own use.
He eventually split it out so others could potentially contribute to it but never did (primarily because it was never advertised, I think) and I'm guessing so his own special snowflake build of Interlink could be "free of it"
athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-11, 15:09
I might want to check if there are any patches in it that I don't have,
I dunno if any of it is useful. YMMV
https://repo.palemoon.org/robinson-crusoe/calendar

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-11, 17:09

Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-11, 15:55
I dunno if any of it is useful. YMMV
https://repo.palemoon.org/robinson-crusoe/calendar
Yeah, I checked, and I already have all of the comm-central patches he has from IceDove-UXP, since that still had the calendar in the repo. There was only one I didn't have, related to OAuth2 GData support, presumably for Google Calendar integration.

So yeah, it should be fine to delete the repo. Apparently it was mostly touched to remove it or move things around, or make graphical tweaks. It really didn't get a lot of love.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-11, 17:14

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-11, 17:09
So yeah, it should be fine to delete the repo.
Done!
athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-11, 17:09
It really didn't get a lot of love.
Not surprising, really.

bromichaelhenry
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by bromichaelhenry » 2022-06-11, 21:57

Hello all,

I just recently found out about this email client, so I downloaded a copy and installed it. It is working like a champ. Thank you athenian200 for all of your hard work to provide this.

Michael Henry

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-06-13, 11:00

Could someone please provide a link to where I can find the latest version?

Thank you.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-13, 14:15

JoeyG wrote:
2022-06-13, 11:00

Thank you.
I haven't released another version yet. There aren't really any significant changes yet other than just adding branding, and I'm planning to put out another version after I have a new theme ready to go.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-06-13, 14:44

OK, thanks.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-06-14, 08:28

Is there any way of copying all mails, mailboxes, addresses etc. from FossaMail to Epyrus, please?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-14, 14:02

Giraffe wrote:
2022-06-14, 08:28
Is there any way of copying all mails, mailboxes, addresses etc. from FossaMail to Epyrus, please?
I really have no idea. I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to mess with transferring stuff from an older profile to a new one because it opens up a can of worms, plus I use IMAP, so everything is stored on the server, and losing my local copy of my mail has never been a big deal.

If anyone has a suggestion to try for Giraffe, feel free, but bear in mind that if the profile is copied straight in, there would likely be all kinds of problems due to the switch from dbm to SQLite. So you'll likely have to be clever about it. If someone could figure out how to transfer e-mails from FossaMail to Epyrus and create an import tool, that would be even better. I'd be willing to ship that extension with the application if you can pull it off.

EDIT: It looks like there is a way to export your address book to a CSV file or something like that from FossaMail, and then import the addressbook to Epyrus. So it's really just e-mails and mailboxes that would be the issue.

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2022-06-15, 16:05

ImportExportTools 3.3.2 extension might be of help.

The_Mailman

Unread post by The_Mailman » 2022-06-16, 08:22

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-13, 14:15
JoeyG wrote:
2022-06-13, 11:00

Thank you.
I haven't released another version yet. There aren't really any significant changes yet other than just adding branding, and I'm planning to put out another version after I have a new theme ready to go.
BTW, is there any plan to have a dark mode theme?

I'm photofobic and I had to abandon Interlink because any workaround used to obtain a (nearly) dark them hurted my eyes anyway with flashes of light colors.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-06-16, 13:04

Attronarch wrote:
2022-06-15, 16:05
ImportExportTools 3.3.2 extension might be of help.
Thank you for this. I've put into FossaMail and will see what I can do when I have time.

It took a lot of finding as it wasn't in 3 repositories and there was useful information to be had but no links to the download from those sites.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-16, 16:27

The_Mailman wrote:
2022-06-16, 08:22

I'm photofobic and I had to abandon Interlink because any workaround used to obtain a (nearly) dark them hurted my eyes anyway with flashes of light colors.
I'd be willing to try and implement something like that. Are you able to get a dark mode in Pale Moon? If so, how did you achieve it? I could take a look at that and see if some version of whatever that is can be done for Epyrus.

The_Mailman

Unread post by The_Mailman » 2022-06-17, 13:37

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-16, 16:27
The_Mailman wrote:
2022-06-16, 08:22

I'd be willing to try and implement something like that. Are you able to get a dark mode in Pale Moon? If so, how did you achieve it? I could take a look at that and see if some version of whatever that is can be done for Epyrus.
I usually use Dark Moon or Black Moon in Pale Moon:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/darkmoon/

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/blackmoon/

Then I change websites' pages via Pale Moon color options.

It's rather satisfactory.

In Interlink I could change most of the GUI thanks to ThemeTweaker:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/theme-tweaker/

but since Tobin has changed some part of the GUI, there were dialogs and other features that I was not able to darken. Furthermore some other elements like mail label backgrounds had to be changed in UserChrome.css. I use win 11 that has the same defect (casual multi-color GUI), but I'd really like to have a simple switch from light to dark mode like Thunderbird has. BTW, even Thunderbird has some elements that don't change, for example the navy blue links of attachments, but ehi, nobody is perfect. :D