How can Epyrus 1.3.0 be installed? Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

00Septimus
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

How can Epyrus 1.3.0 be installed?

Unread post by 00Septimus » 2022-10-03, 18:05

I downloaded Epyrus 1.3.0. It is a zip-file - no installation file. How does the Epyrus setup work? :?

Non-translated post:
(unübersetzter Beitrag):
Wie kann Epyrus 1.3.0 installiert werden?
ich habe Epyrus 1.3.0 heruntergeladen. Es ist eine zip Datei - keine Install-Datei. Wie funktioniert das Setup von Epyrus?
I get my contributions translated online into English
If the impression arises that I babble drunk nonsense - that was not me.
Please beat up the translator ;-)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: How can Epyrus 1.3.0 be installed?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-10-03, 22:01

00Septimus wrote:
2022-10-03, 18:05
I downloaded Epyrus 1.3.0. It is a zip-file - no installation file. How does the Epyrus setup work? :?
There... is no setup. It's a zip archive that you can extract and run from your user directory.

If you unzip the zip file to a directory you have permissions for, and just run epyrus.exe from there, the application will work. The application is still in alpha and I don't feel that it's in a place where offering a full-service setup option makes a lot of sense...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-03, 22:18

I can tell you how I installed it:
  • Extracted the contents to my apps drive in D:\epyrus
  • Created a desktop shortcut to D:\epyrus\epyrus.exe
  • Launched from the shortcut and pinned to my task bar
  • Closed down the program
  • Copied my previous Interlink profile data from c:\users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Binary Outcast\Interlink to C:\users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\athenian200\Epyrus
  • Launched Epyrus again
And that was it. everything was migrated and running smoothly, including my add-ons like enigmail.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

00Septimus
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 00Septimus » 2022-10-04, 13:48

Thank you for the explanations and the instructions for use :thumbup:
One question remains
when I save Epyrus in a user directory and start it from there. Are there no security issues? A user directory is not protected with system or administrator rights :?:

Non-translated post:
(unübersetzter Beitrag):
Vielen Dank für die Erläuterungen und die Gebrauchsanweisung :thumbup:
Eine Frage bleibt
wenn ich Epyrus in einem Nutzerverzeichnis abspeichere und es von dort starte. Gibt es keine Sicherheitsfragen?. Ein Nutzerverzeichnis ist ja nicht mit System- oder Administratorrechten geschützt

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-04, 14:46

It's recommended to install applications in protected directories. Whatever security risk would be there would be exactly the same as any other application installed in unprotected directories, i.e. the risk for program manipulation by viruses or other malware that manipulates binaries.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-10-04, 17:13

The kind of questions you're asking really make me uncomfortable about what kind of environment you are going to be deploying Epyrus in...

Epyrus is definitely not suitable for an environment that requires high security and which requires everything to be deployed through installers at this point. I haven't finished setting up automatic updates yet (so this version will not get updates on a regular basis), and there's a reason why it doesn't come with a full installer... it's just nowhere near ready for production environments. If you test it out, you should be testing it on a machine that doesn't require that kind of security.

Like, if you're considering installing this on a work computer or something where you need a security guarantee, I would have to say that's not a good idea. I can't give you that guarantee with the software at the level it is currently at.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-04, 17:33

athenian200 wrote:
2022-10-04, 17:13
I can't give you that guarantee with the software at the level it is currently at.
It's not a guarantee that should be required. I don't guarantee this either for Pale Moon. Remember the whole "supplied as-is with no warranty of suitability" that pretty much every FOSS program has in its license? Yeah, that's this here as well.
athenian200 wrote:
2022-10-04, 17:13
The kind of questions you're asking really make me uncomfortable about what kind of environment you are going to be deploying Epyrus in...
I think you misunderstood the question. It seems to be about the opposite of what you're asking about: not the fact of requiring filesystem security, but rather a question of risk when it is not installed in such a location, i.e. "is there any sort of inherent risk in the client itself of it causing issues when not not installed in a recommended protected location?" and I think you can simply answer that with an "I don't think so". Especially since Epyrus doesn't allow scripting in foreign content (mails).

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-10-04, 22:11

Yeah, I think I may have jumped to conclusions because in my experience, usually when someone is very scrupulous about following security recommendations and asks about things like protected/unprotected install locations or risk assessment, it means they either are deploying the application in their workplace and want to convince their IT department that it's safe, or they are otherwise running a machine that cannot afford to be compromised and requires fully validated software. Basically, I just wouldn't want someone to get fired if they installed Epyrus and then their company failed some kind of inspection, etc.

But yeah, it's more than likely I was missing some context (possibly from Google translate), given that what you told him was able to solve his problem.

00Septimus
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 00Septimus » 2022-10-13, 14:52

Moonchild wrote:
2022-10-04, 17:33
...Especially since Epyrus doesn't allow scripting in foreign content (mails).
Yes! I think that's the crucial hint. I actually knew that, but I didn't think about it when I thought about installing Epyrus.
Off-topic:
A friend and neighbor of mine who is a user of this forum too, and who often gave me helpful advice for computers, gave me a few good suggestions for the setup of Epyrus and a good tool (Total Commander) for its installation.
I started this wonderful newly learned program Total Commander (Wow! what a great tool!) with administrator rights. Then I copied the installation directory of a certain other email client with all NTFS permissions to a directory called Epyrus. I deleted all previous content and then copied the Epyrus files in there. So I have Epyrus in a folder that can only be touched with system/administrator rights - great :idea:.
Epyrus works very well after importing/copying the user data of the certain other email client :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks for Epyrus - may it become a long and successful life :-D :clap: :wave:

Non-translated post:

Ja! Ich denke, das ist der entscheidende Hinweis. Ich wusste das eigentlich, habe aber bei meinen Überlegungen zur Installation von Epyrus nicht daran gedacht.
Off-topic:
Ein Freund und Nachbar, der auch User dieses Forums ist, und der mir schon oft hilfreiche Ratschläge für Computer gab, gab mir wieder ein paar gute Vorschläge zum Setup von Epyrus und zu einem guten Tool (Total Commander) für dessen Installation.
Ich habe dieses wunderbare neu erlernte Programm Total Commander (Wow! was für ein großartiges Werkzeug!) mit Administratorrechten gestartet. Dann habe ich das Installationsverzeichnis eines gewissen anderen E-Mail Clients mit allen NTFS Permissions kopiert zu einem Verzeichnis namens Epyrus. Ich löschte allen bisherigen Inhalte und kopierte dann die Epyrus Dateien da hinein. Somit habe ich Epyrus in einem Ordner, der nur mit System-/Administratorrechten angetastet werden kann - Spitze :idea:.
Epyrus funktioniert ganz hervorragend, nachdem ich die Userdaten des gewissen anderen E-Mail Clients importiert/kopiert habe :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Danke für Epyrus - möge ihm ein langes und erfolgreiches Leben zu teil werden :D :clap: :wave:

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2022-10-27, 19:40

by Moonchild » 2022-10-03, 15:18

Extracted the contents to my apps drive in D:\epyrus
Created a desktop shortcut to D:\epyrus\epyrus.exe
Launched from the shortcut and pinned to my task bar
Closed down the program
Copied my previous Interlink profile data from c:\users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Binary Outcast\Interlink to C:\users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\athenian200\Epyrus
Launched Epyrus again

And that was it. everything was migrated and running smoothly, including my add-ons like enigmail.
Probably missing something here, but why am I receiving the old 'Couldn't load XPCOM' msg from Thunderbird (which I do not have)? I thought Pale Moon, Interlink, etc (items from you folks) did not care if XPCOM was present.
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2022-10-27, 22:27

by Old_Radio » 2022-10-27, 12:40

by Moonchild » 2022-10-03, 15:18

Extracted the contents to my apps drive in D:\epyrus
Created a desktop shortcut to D:\epyrus\epyrus.exe
Launched from the shortcut and pinned to my task bar
Closed down the program
Copied my previous Interlink profile data from c:\users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Binary Outcast\Interlink to C:\users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\athenian200\Epyrus
Launched Epyrus again

Probably missing something here, but why am I receiving the old 'Couldn't load XPCOM' msg from Thunderbird (which I do not have)? I thought Pale Moon, Interlink, etc (items from you folks) did not care if XPCOM was present.
Never mind - I know why.
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.