[Release] Default Theme Template

Dedicated board for theme releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are a theme author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

[Release] Default Theme Template

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2022-07-03, 15:22

While this isn't a traditional "release" per se, I figured I should at least mention. ;)

It has been made clear to me recently that extracting the default theme from the release files that Pale Moon ships with has become either impossible or otherwise complex depending on one's viewpoint. As such, in addition to making the theme-making process more steamlined for those interested, I have created a "template" theme, in that it is the default theme (for Windows, as this is the most viable base) with OS-specific stylings and packaging niceties that third-party themes (from myself and FranklinDM at least) have been known to ship with. This is basically a multi-platform port of the Windows default theme. You can find it here:

https://github.com/Lootyhoof/theme-template
Windows:

Linux (GTK3, shown with the Adwaita theme):
This is only meant as a tool for would-be theme developers to work off of. I don't intend to release this on the Add-ons Site as it isn't meant to be its own theme per se. I will update the theme creation guide at some point to be using this.

Enjoy! :)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: [Release] Default Theme Template

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2022-07-03, 16:36

Awesome! Thank you so much for making this easily available! :thumbup:
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2022-07-03, 18:09

I always wanted the option of Windows icons on Linux to get that official feel. Now I have it. Thanks a lot!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2022-07-03, 18:58

mr tribute wrote:
2022-07-03, 18:09
I always wanted the option of Windows icons on Linux to get that official feel.
Technically this isn't 1:1 the exact same between Windows and Linux. As the default theme doesn't style the appmenu-toolbar-button (the "Pale Moon" button when the menubar is disabled) I chose not to here. On some of my other themes it would look like this:

Personally, I tend to evade that issue entirely by using a global menubar on Xfce, but that's just me. :P

(ui.use_global_menubar to true in about:config if you happen to use a global menubar in KDE/Xfce/anywhere else - it used to work for me with GTK 2 and 3 but only seems to work on GTK 3 now, at least on my end. Odd.)

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-07-03, 19:33

This is great, thank you so much!

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-07-04, 05:55

This is great news! Thanks for making this.

This is probably going to be much easier for budding theme creators to deal with than doing a custom build with flat files, or hunting down a tool that can extract the omni.ja.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2022-07-04, 21:21

If the Firefox 4 UI had been created a few years later that button would have been a hamburger menu in the toolbar just as in the Australis UI.

Regarding global menu bar; I don't really understand that paradigm. It was before "my time"; Macs and early Windows. Windows 95 was what got me started and by then the global menu bar had disappeared from Windows. EDIT: It seems that one of the defining features of Windows was that Microsoft had figured out how to do locally integrated menu bars.

Chromium where-is-the-menu-bar rant:
There is one application that drives me nuts because I don't use a global menu bar. It's Chromium and all its clones. Without a global menu bar you will not get access to the menu bar in Chromium and clones. You can't recreate the functionality of the Bookmarks item in the menu bar with a folder on the bookmarks bar. They don't work the same.

If you have more than 50 bookmarks in a folder, Chromium is a PITA. Only a global menu bar can fix Chromium. There is no WebExtension that can provide a locally integrated menu bar AFAIK. I have been waiting for Google to fix the UI since 2008, but apparently a hamburger menu and a bookmarks bar are good enough for peasants using Windows and Linux.

Since I use Xfwm instead of CSD for Brave it is likely that my Brave UI is fatter/taller than my Pale Moon UI. In Pale Moon I don't need the bookmarks bar, because of the menu bar.

It does annoy me that Google cut corners with the desktop design because the Web browser has become the most important application on the desktop. It's ridiculous that the menu bar is there, but can't be accessed without a global menu bar.