[Release] Moonscape

Dedicated board for theme releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are a theme author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: [Release] Moonscape

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-24, 22:50

Hey, I'm just curious...

I'm trying to set my browser up to look like Netscape 4.x... and I noticed there's a couple of really minor things missing.

The "Search" and "Security" icons.

It's not a huge issue since I can do searches using the URL bar, or set my home page to go to my favorite search engine. I could probably find some way to put the icons in for just myself, but I figured that since the theme's maintainer is still around... it wouldn't hurt to ask. It's just that it's already SO close.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-25, 02:03

Security icon is used in Preferences->Security, and also in the Page Info. There's only so much it can resemble Netscape short of being Netscape itself ;)
I don't remember what the security button on the toolbar did in Netscape, but there's other things like 'Guide' and 'What's new?/What's cool?' (merged into New&cool in 4.0) that has no modern equivalent.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-25, 03:06

moonbat wrote:
2019-10-25, 02:03
I don't remember what the security button on the toolbar did in Netscape.
It was the same thing as going to Tools > Page Info > Security Tab. That's why I have the Page Info button there from another extension.

I believe the Search button just took you to a search engine.
but there's other things like 'Guide' and 'What's new?/What's cool?' (merged into New&cool in 4.0) that has no modern equivalent.
Guide was just a series of drop-down links to pages like People, Yellow Pages, etc:

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/pte/tut ... tscap4.htm

And as for what's cool/what's new, and that "The Internet" link?

I think that would have been something like this:

http://home.mcom.com/home/about-the-internet.html
http://home.mcom.com/home/whats-cool.html
http://home.mcom.com/home/whats-new.html

A modern equivalent of "What's new/What's cool" might be:
https://news.ycombinator.com/
Or something like that.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-25, 03:11

Wow, the nostalgia!!
Thanks for the links!
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2019-10-25, 05:44

athenian200 wrote:
2019-10-24, 22:50
The "Search" and "Security" icons.
What extension(s) did you use to have these icons? I can create a subskin to also cover these toolbar buttons by default.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2019-10-25, 10:50

Sorry if I misunderstood the question. I can't really do much in regards with the theme aside from styling the toolbar icons as only an extension can add toolbar buttons to the browser.

francesco bat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by francesco bat » 2019-10-25, 22:08

Thank you very much.
It's always beautiful :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlawxRZ ... e=youtu.be

Bye
Francesco bat

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-25, 23:07

FranklinDM wrote:
2019-10-25, 10:50
Sorry if I misunderstood the question. I can't really do much in regards with the theme aside from styling the toolbar icons as only an extension can add toolbar buttons to the browser.
Oh, I didn't know about that part, that themes couldn't add toolbar buttons. That explains why those weren't there already.

The add-on I used was this one:

caa:addon/toolbar-buttons

https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/

It has a ton of buttons, though, and I think maybe I could try making a custom pack that just contains the missing toolbar buttons using this as an example.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2019-11-28, 00:45

Is there any way to restore Pale Moon's default, blue progress bar? I have already found how to replace the cylon by the grey progress bar in the CSS: uncommenting

Code: Select all

@import url("chrome://browser/skin/moonscape/sub/Status-4-Evar_-_Gray_progress_meter_(Always_visible)_(With_frame)_Fx.css");
I cannot seem to find something in the CSS that fully returns the original, though. How would I do this?
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2019-12-02, 11:31

Try including this snippet:

Code: Select all

#status4evar-progress-bar {
  -moz-appearance: progressbar !important;
}

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2020-01-28, 10:59

Update to Moonscape: v6.26
  • Initial support for Pale Moon 29
Update options: GitHub releases, APO, manually check for updates through the Add-ons Manager.

Moonscape Messenger for Interlink Mail & Newsgroups is available at the Interlink Add-ons Site.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-05-01, 15:39

Hello FranklinDM,

There seems to be an issue with the "Calendar" icon in the settings on Interlink when using the MOONSCAPE theme.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2020-05-05, 08:00

Baloo wrote:
2020-05-01, 15:39
issue with the "Calendar" icon
Thanks for reporting, this will be fixed in the next release.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-05, 11:46

It's like abstract modern art!
What caused this? I'm curious :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-05, 12:16

What it looks like to me is the image map is being displayed but no crop info for the extension tab overlay'd.. Think toolbar button image where it is applied but if you don't have the style for the specific element to cut out the image you just have the whole thing. As far as this type of thing is concerned, it is the best possible style issue cause it does have size styling so it doesn't just expand out and overflow the everything.

Obviously, for the calendar you need to specify a different image because the application styling won't have the desired image from that map.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-05-05, 13:13

Moonchild wrote:
2020-05-05, 11:46
What caused this?
It's due to this, which applies one PNG across all the prefpane buttons. As the calendar icon is included in that, it also has its image changed to that. There are a couple of approaches that could be taken here:

1. Add the calendar icon to the options.png file and provide relevant mapping. The simplest perhaps (from a code perspective), this would also mean icons need creating for the calendar (not necessarily for the OTHER calendar icons, just the one in Preferences).
2. Specify each prefpane button's icon in the above rule instead of all the icons. Obviously a little more CSS but means you can skip the calendar icon. This does mean it would look out of place though with the others (though that's Franklin's decision).

The joys of theming. :P

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-05, 13:52

Why do they have such a weird implementation? Is it that hard to keep separate icon images for each preference, or is there some major performance boost gained by loading one image instead of multiple?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-05-05, 13:54

There is no right or wrong way to load images like this. That method of loading images is used across the majority of themes - including the default themes on both the browser and otherwise.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-05, 14:34

Remember loading images is a navigation request technically and loading fewer resources is faster sometimes than loading multple ones or some shit. Either or is fine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-05, 15:23

It's due to this, which applies one PNG across all the prefpane buttons.
Ah right, thanks for pointing that out. Perfectly clear.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite