[Release] Dark Moon

Dedicated board for theme releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are a theme author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

[Release] Dark Moon

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-11-12, 00:18

Presenting a brand new theme based on my work on White Moon, a dark version of said theme: Dark Moon! :)
This theme attempts to make most parts of the browser be dark, for an optimal viewing experience.

The theme is available on the Pale Moon Add-Ons Site. Source code is available on GitHub.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Lootyhoof on 2016-10-04, 23:00, edited 7 times in total.

megaman

Re: [Release] Dark Moon v1.0.0b1 - Testers Needed

Unread post by megaman » 2015-11-12, 00:42

I definitely will. Hopefully, it will pull me away from Australium.

Edit: This one doesn't like the latest TabMixPlus!(Mainly it's my custom settings), but it looks great, I'll revert to an older version of TMP(Stable).
Edit 2: All is well, same thing I did for TMP fixed this part, as well. Looking spectacular.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-11-12, 02:44

Just a minor point- the theme icon in add-ons manager is too dark and could be lighter:
darkmoon-icon.jpg

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-11-12, 03:30

My only problem with the theme is that it doesn't give me an indication that I have an e-mail on my pinned-tab.
Something that does show on stock layout and Australium.

Edit: The Y for Yahoo! Mail shows a light on Australium.
Attachments
Screen Shot 11-11-15 at 10.22 PM.JPG
Last edited by megaman on 2015-11-12, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-11-12, 04:08

The active tab cannot easily be distinguished from the other tabs. The tab close button is hard to see on inactive tabs.
darkmoon-tabs.jpg

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-11-12, 05:01

Yeah I can't tell which tab I'm on, icons in the Pale Moon drop down menu are outlined white while bookmark related ones are colored, closed tab X needs to be highlighted red, missing URL bar shading (don't know if thats meant to be, would like to have it though), bookmark this page is highlighted blue, but RSS feed not highlighted orange, certain default icons highlighted when hovered over and some aren't.

Other weird bugs:
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_7.png
Screenshot_7.png (498 Bytes) Viewed 10723 times
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-11-12, 08:26

Great idea, efford and result, Lootywolf,
I see no bugs in my machine, just asking when customizing/''use small icons'', I see no difference, should it be?
Also when addon icons were put in nav.bar, they had some space between them,need a second restart to make the space go away.

Do you plan to ''dark'' the scrollbar too?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-11-12, 16:34

The Discover Pane (Get Add-ons tab) in the Add-on Manager actually displays a webpage with no background intending to blend in to most. Obviously this doesn't work well on very dark themes.

Ryan.. try and see if you can style the iframe for the discover pane to give it a lighter background to better blend the page content with the add-on manager.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-11-16, 23:48

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :thumbup:
riiis wrote:Just a minor point- the theme icon in add-ons manager is too dark and could be lighter
riiis wrote:The active tab cannot easily be distinguished from the other tabs. The tab close button is hard to see on inactive tabs.
LimboSlam wrote:Yeah I can't tell which tab I'm on
This should be resolved by changing your monitor settings - with a correctly calibrated monitor, this should not be an issue.
LimboSlam wrote:icons in the Pale Moon drop down menu are outlined white while bookmark related ones are colored
This is a leftover from White Moon, though I might change it.
LimboSlam wrote:closed tab X needs to be highlighted red
Intentional. The icon clearly changes when highlighted and clicked.
LimboSlam wrote:missing URL bar shading
Intentional, to keep the simplicity of the theme. I may look into it, but it's not an urgent matter.
LimboSlam wrote:bookmark this page is highlighted blue, but RSS feed not highlighted orange
Intentional; the bookmark button needs a different state to indicate its current status, however the RSS button, like any other button in Dark Moon (and White Moon), does not need another state.
LimboSlam wrote:certain default icons highlighted when hovered over and some aren't
In small icons mode this should be the case, however I'm not sure what you mean otherwise.
superA wrote:I see no bugs in my machine, just asking when customizing/''use small icons'', I see no difference, should it be?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Explain?
superA wrote:when addon icons were put in nav.bar, they had some space between them,need a second restart to make the space go away
This is something I will look into.
superA wrote:Do you plan to ''dark'' the scrollbar too?
Yes, I hope to make pretty much everything dark eventually.

leomate

Unread post by leomate » 2015-11-17, 15:03

Tested your theme, and the problem is the right context menu height is too small since i using touchscreen devices. But anything else so far good

edit :

I notice if you got new notification on pinned tab, it doesn't have any highlight indicator

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: [Release] Dark Moon v1.0.0b2 - Testers Needed

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-11-19, 23:33

I've released beta 2 of Dark Moon; it's attached to the first post of this topic. :) The GitHub repo is now live, too: https://github.com/Lootyhoof/darkmoon

It finishes the job of making everything dark, by making pretty much everything dark, as previously planned. I've also fixed several issues as mentioned previously in this thread. Give it a shot and let me know your opinions, guys! :)
leomate wrote:Tested your theme, and the problem is the right context menu height is too small since i using touchscreen devices. But anything else so far good
I don't plan to optimize this theme for touch, sorry.
superA wrote:when addon icons were put in nav.bar, they had some space between them,need a second restart to make the space go away
Upon looking into this, I cannot reproduce this issue.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: [Release] Dark Moon v1.0.0

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-11-21, 15:15

I decided that it's finished enough to put up on the Add-Ons Site, so I did. :)

https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/complete/darkmoon/

There are some minor changes between v1.0.0b2 and v1.0.0, though they mostly involve darkening the all tabs/ctrl-tab panel. You can either update by downloading from the above link, or waiting for automatic updates.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-11-21, 15:44

I have mentioned this before and I will say it again.
When I get e-mails, there is no indication because nothing shows, on the tab.

I can see this in Stock UI and Australium.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-11-21, 16:05

megaman wrote:I have mentioned this before and I will say it again.
When I get e-mails, there is no indication because nothing shows, on the tab.

I can see this in Stock UI and Australium.
This should have been fixed in beta 2, though the effect is not quite the same as those themes. Do you get an effect such as the following?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-11-21, 16:14

Lootyhoof wrote:This should have been fixed in beta 2
Oh, sorry, I guess I had to check the e-mail first, then it worked. Thank you. (It's very fitting and looks great)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: [Release] Dark Moon v1.1.0

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-12-20, 22:07

Dark Moon has been updated to v1.1.0.

What's new?
- (PM26) add history menu button
- show more icons in history/bookmarks menus
- darken sidebar headers and borders
- use theme-native unified back/forward menu icons
- show correct alltabs icon when using a light persona

huladaddy

Unread post by huladaddy » 2016-01-13, 03:20

Lootyhoof wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys! :thumbup:
riiis wrote:The active tab cannot easily be distinguished from the other tabs. The tab close button is hard to see on inactive tabs.
This should be resolved by changing your monitor settings - with a correctly calibrated monitor, this should not be an issue.
I really, really like your theme! Job well done.

But please don't dismiss this issue of not being able to see the active tab. If I have the brightness turned up, and have the screen at the correct angle and I sit up properly in my chair, I can see which tab is active, but not easily. Consequently, if I am slouching in my chair, or I have the brightness turned down, then forget it.

The theme is pretty, and I know it's difficult to get feedback that threatens your design and style choices, but it would be appreciated. The active tab just doesn't jump. Maybe you could make the text on the non-active tabs darker? Maybe a light bar along the top of the active tab? Or both ideas?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: [Release] Dark Moon v1.1.1

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-01-13, 21:33

Dark Moon has been updated to v1.1.1.

What's new?
- (PM26) add download location styling
- darken spinbuttons
- use SVG icons for categories in about:addons
- use more theme-native error icons
- make critical notifications more theme-native
huladaddy wrote:
Lootyhoof wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys! :thumbup:
I really, really like your theme! Job well done.

But please don't dismiss this issue of not being able to see the active tab. If I have the brightness turned up, and have the screen at the correct angle and I sit up properly in my chair, I can see which tab is active, but not easily. Consequently, if I am slouching in my chair, or I have the brightness turned down, then forget it.

The theme is pretty, and I know it's difficult to get feedback that threatens your design and style choices, but it would be appreciated. The active tab just doesn't jump. Maybe you could make the text on the non-active tabs darker? Maybe a light bar along the top of the active tab? Or both ideas?
I will consider some potential designs, though I still suspect that correct calibration will help here. On my monitor (which I'll admit, is not the best out there - I typically view on a laptop), I can view at many different angles, and the active tab is still clear to me. Additionally...this theme is probably not good for low-brightness situations at all, so I can't optimize for those situations without brightening the theme itself. Please remember that you are using a dark theme, and with low light will naturally be difficult to see.

huladaddy

Unread post by huladaddy » 2016-01-13, 22:56

Lootyhoof wrote:I will consider some potential designs, though I still suspect that correct calibration will help here. On my monitor (which I'll admit, is not the best out there - I typically view on a laptop), I can view at many different angles, and the active tab is still clear to me. Additionally...this theme is probably not good for low-brightness situations at all, so I can't optimize for those situations without brightening the theme itself. Please remember that you are using a dark theme, and with low light will naturally be difficult to see.
I would appreciate it. Although it may look fine to you, there have been a few of us that are struggling with seeing the active tab. I want this to be my daily driver!!!

Are you planning on replacing the buttons (i.e. "Enable" & "Remove" buttons in Add-ons Manager) with flat alternatives?

Keep up the great work!

huladaddy

Unread post by huladaddy » 2016-01-29, 21:04

On my system, the "Preferences", "Enable/Disable" & "Remove" buttons in about:addons are different from all other buttons, such as the buttons present within the preferences of an extension. Is this just an anomaly on my system, a design choice, or a bug? I would prefer those buttons to have a look consistent with the rest of the theme.

BTW, I decided to use the "Tab Utilities" extension to add some tab functionality that I was after, with the added benefit that I can change the appearance of current and unread tabs. It works for me, and although I do like to run minimally, I don't mind running this extension because it does add a number of features.

Thanks for a great theme!