ηMatrix/eMatrix release/support thread (& other extensions of mine too)

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

ηMatrix/eMatrix release/support thread (& other extensions of mine too)

Unread post by vannilla » 2024-02-02, 15:41

Hello,
the previous thread was locked, likely automatically due to lack of activity (which is a good thing).
While I could've probably asked to unlock it, I thought I'd make a new one to include all my extensions. ηMatrix is listed more prominently because it's the most used one that I know of and figured more people would search for it.

This thread is for the following extensions: Now for the news:
All the above listed extensions have been updated to explicitly support Pale Moon 33. They didn't require any particular change at the code level, so they would've worked anyway, but now version 33 is listed in the add-on site page, which is always a good thing.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: ηMatrix/eMatrix release/support thread (& other extensions of mine too)

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-02-02, 21:22

vannilla wrote:
2024-02-02, 15:41
This thread is for the following extensions: All the above listed extensions have been updated to explicitly support Pale Moon 33. They didn't require any particular change at the code level, so they would've worked anyway, but now version 33 is listed in the add-on site page, which is always a good thing.
Thanks for listing your extensions which say they support version 33. I'm "old school" which means I'm "old style". To sum up, I like "details".

When I see extensions which say they support as an example version 29, I will not install them for 33. Reason being. They will not install and if they do, sometimes they don't act correctly.

Thanks again for being "explicit".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-07, 00:09

Night Wing wrote:
2024-02-02, 21:22
When I see extensions which say they support as an example version 29, I will not install them for 33. Reason being. They will not install and if they do, sometimes they don't act correctly.
Not necessarily, only if the extension uses strict compatibility will it refuse to install. There are old Firefox extensions that do work fine in Pale Moon after all. For example, only AutoPageColor of my extensions uses strict compatibility, and so only that one you'll find I've changed to explicitly support 33, else it would break when users upgrade Pale Moon. The rest of my extensions all work fine and I update the version only along with any fixes or new features.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Plume
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Plume » 2024-03-06, 04:11

vannilla wrote:
2024-02-02, 15:41
HI thought I'd make a new one to include all my extensions. ηMatrix is listed more prominently because it's the most used one that I know of and figured more people would search for it.
Hi, I suppose you might be the person to ask about this. In the browser support forum there's a discussion of problems with the NoScript extension and people suggest using eMatrix as a replacement. I posted about why I couldn't use eMatrix and it was suggested I post in this forum about my problems.
I have two major problems with the eMatrix extension, I don't know if it's something you can actually do anything about easily, but here they are:

1. Font size. I am visually impaired and I cannot read the text of the dropdown menu. The NoScript dropdown menu has the same font size as other Pale Moon gui menus. The eMatrix has a smaller font size. In the settings there is a slider to control the font size, but even putting it all thew ay to the right does not make the text big enough for me to be able to properly read it. Changing the setting to a higher number in about:config does not seem to work as it just reverts.
Question; Is it possible to enable bigger font sizes? Maybe it shouldn't be completely unlimited as it could make it unusuable if accidentally set way too high, but some value higher than 96px (I think) should still work just fine?

2. eMatrix shows if something is blocked or unblocked with colours. I have to use my computer in High Contrast Mode which eliminates or changes a lot of colours. There's a colourblind friendly switch in the settings, but whether that is turned on or off makes no difference. With Windows set in High Contrast Mode there is no visual difference between something that is blocked and something that is not blocked. I have tried temporarily switching off High Contrast Mode and I can see there is a visual change between blocked and unblocked items. But in High Contrast Mode there is none.
Question: Is it possible to have some kind of visual indication of the blocked status other than the colours? Maybe the font changing to italics, maybe some underline or strikethrough. Or some other visual cue that still works in Windows High Contrast Mode.

I realise there probably isn't a huge demand for these changes, but I figured I'd ask if it was possible. It's great that there are people who keep extensions available for Pale Moon.'

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2024-03-06, 10:07

Hello.
Plume wrote:
2024-03-06, 04:11
1. Font size.
I can increase the upper limit but I don't know how much is enough to make it readable. While I do have a slight hearing impairment I can still see relatively well and I might underestimate what "big" is. If you (or someone you ask for help) can provide an approximate size I can use it. Maybe create a web page (even a local HTML file is fine) and test various numbers with CSS.
Plume wrote:
2024-03-06, 04:11
2. eMatrix shows if something is blocked or unblocked with colours. I have to use my computer in High Contrast Mode which eliminates or changes a lot of colours. There's a colourblind friendly switch in the settings, but whether that is turned on or off makes no difference.
Can you show me a picture of what you see when you have high contrast mode activated? Even though I could activate it myself and see, I'd rather get pointers from the person actually using it and get a more accurate picture of the situation.
Adding a dedicated "high contrast" setting should be fairly easy, but since the extension can't pick up whether the system is using a certain mode/theme I'd need to explicitly select colors, sizes and decorations for each element.

Plume
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Plume » 2024-03-06, 14:28

vannilla wrote:
2024-03-06, 10:07
I can increase the upper limit but I don't know how much is enough to make it readable. While I do have a slight hearing impairment I can still see relatively well and I might underestimate what "big" is. If you (or someone you ask for help) can provide an approximate size I can use it. Maybe create a web page (even a local HTML file is fine) and test various numbers with CSS.
Well I tried to make a test page to find a good value for the font size, but it proved impossible. I realised after some looking around that one of the reasons that eMatrix displays such a small font size is that I have messed around with Pale Moon preferences to change the looks of the browser. The short story is I need those changes, but they also make it hard to judge the font size needed because on an html page a font size of 96px looks plenty big, but in the eMatrix menu it is way too small.
I am wondering now if it would even be possible to make it workable for my needs. I would guess that the needed size would be considerably larger than what it is now, maybe upwards of 400px or even larger.
Can you show me a picture of what you see when you have high contrast mode activated? Even though I could activate it myself and see, I'd rather get pointers from the person actually using it and get a more accurate picture of the situation.
Adding a dedicated "high contrast" setting should be fairly easy, but since the extension can't pick up whether the system is using a certain mode/theme I'd need to explicitly select colors, sizes and decorations for each element.
i will try to attach a screenshot to show what it looks like for me. You'll have to excuse the apparent mess of my browser, with my disability I am not concerned with it looking pretty, it just needs to be functional for my needs. But you should be able to see the eMatrix menu in the topright corner and how there's no colour and the font size is smaller than the rest of the PM menu texts.
Thank you for the effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2024-03-07, 01:27

Thank you, I can see how things are, now. I will experiment but I can't really give you an estimate on when it will be done. When I've settled on some "not worse" values I'll release a new version.

Plume
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Plume » 2024-03-07, 21:45

vannilla wrote:
2024-03-07, 01:27
Thank you, I can see how things are, now. I will experiment but I can't really give you an estimate on when it will be done. When I've settled on some "not worse" values I'll release a new version.
I appreciate that, thank you. NoScript is still working fairly okay for me, but it would be nice to be able to switch to a better and more current alternative at some point.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2024-03-08, 11:02

Hello,
ηMatrix 5.1.0 has been released trying to improve accessibility.
If you have automatic updates you should have it already; people updating manually don't really have to rush since there are no changes to the core extension behaviour, but it's recommended to keep up to date anyway.

The settings page now has two more options: Magnify text size and High contrast mode. Each option has a tooltip available, just click the question mark to get more informations.
You can enable each one independently from the other and they work with Color-blind friendly mode too.

If possible, please provide feedback so that accessibility can be improved further if needed.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-08, 12:40

vannilla wrote:
2024-03-08, 11:02
Hello,
If you have automatic updates you should have it already; people updating manually don't really have to rush since there are no changes to the core extension behaviour, but it's recommended to keep up to date anyway.

The settings page now has two more options: Magnify text size and High contrast mode. Each option has a tooltip available, just click the question mark to get more informations.
You can enable each one independently from the other and they work with Color-blind friendly mode too.

If possible, please provide feedback so that accessibility can be improved further if needed.
That magnification is nice and big, and the visual elements of the high contrast setting are so clear. I'm not vision impaired, but I'll be using this especially on small laptop screens.
eMatrix_magnified_and_high_contrast.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plume
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Plume » 2024-03-24, 17:25

vannilla wrote:
2024-03-08, 11:02
Hello,
Thank you for working on this. I have had personal stuff going on, but I had a chance to test the update out and it is certainly a big improvement for my needs. I have not had the chance to really get to know how best to use the extension, but it seems like it is now useable for me. Thank you!