Simple Screenshot - fork of Easy Screenshot

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Simple Screenshot - fork of Easy Screenshot

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-05-21, 21:31

Simple Screenshot lets you capture a web page as an image. It can capture the whole page, the visible portion of the page, or the region that you select. You can do some basic editing on the screenshot before saving it, such as drawing lines and circles, adding text, blurring some parts, and cropping.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Simple Screenshot - fork of Easy Screenshot

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-06-30, 16:48

I've only just discovered this extension - excellent :)

Only one thing would make it better (perfect!) for me, the option to specify a "save" path for automatic saving. Even if this was just a hidden "about:config" setting.

Thanks.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-07-01, 08:43

Glad you like it. I will look into adding preferences for the extension. I'm planning to add settings for save path and maybe jpeg support.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-07-01, 11:19

Wonderful, thank you :D

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-07-06, 12:10

I have released a new version of Simple Screenshot. This version adds preferences for setting the default save path and for choosing either the page title or the domain as part of the file name. The filename template doesn't work for edited screenshots for now.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-07-07, 09:35

htuyar wrote:
2022-07-06, 12:10
I have released a new version of Simple Screenshot. This version adds preferences for setting the default save path and for choosing either the page title or the domain as part of the file name. The filename template doesn't work for edited screenshots for now.
This is great, many thanks :thumbup:

One odd thing though... I set the pref "Title_Date_Time" and grabbed this page but the saved file names weren't consistent -

Code: Select all

'Capture Whole Page'      -> "Simple_Screenshot_-_fork_of_Easy_Screenshot_-_Pale_Moon_forum_2022-07-07_10-24-24.png"
'Capture Visible Content' -> "Simple_Screenshot_-_fork_of_Easy_Screenshot_-_Pale_Moon_forum_2022-07-07_10-24-57.png"
'Capture Page Region'     -> "Simple_Screenshot_-_fork_of_Easy_Screenshot_-_Pale_Moon_forum_-_Pale_Moon_2022-07-07_10-25-08.png"
Not a problem but thought I'd mention it. Thanks again :)

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-07-08, 08:01

Thanks for bringing that up, I'll check it out.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-07-11, 15:35

Version 1.3 is released. This version fixes the file naming inconsistencies in page region screenshots and edited screenshots. It also adds support for custom filename templates. Check the file name tooltip in the configuration panel for explanation.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-07-12, 15:04

htuyar wrote:
2022-07-11, 15:35
Version 1.3 is released...
Excellent, many thanks :D

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-07-13, 11:08

htuyar wrote:
2022-07-11, 15:35
Version 1.3 is released...
Oops, I spoke too soon, I should have tried it first!

Saves aren't automatically saving to the path set in prefs, a save dialogue box opens in that directory. I don't know if this is intentional?

Also, if I do try and save in a different location from within the opened save dialogue, this doesn't work as the save path (from prefs) is hard coded into the "Name" field and doesn't change when a different save location is selected.

Thanks.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-07-13, 11:37

distantpluto wrote:
2022-07-13, 11:08
Saves aren't automatically saving to the path set in prefs, a save dialogue box opens in that directory. I don't know if this is intentional?

Also, if I do try and save in a different location from within the opened save dialogue, this doesn't work as the save path (from prefs) is hard coded into the "Name" field and doesn't change when a different save location is selected.
For now, it is the intended behavior. The next thing I'm planning to add is a "save without asking" feature (this is what you want, right?). I'll have to tweak the UI for that a little.

The save path is not part of the "name" field but yes, the output file will always be in the save path as per the configuration. Do you mean you'd prefer that the last path chosen by the user be treated as the default save path and update that preference?

EDIT: By "name field" I thought you meant one of the placeholders in the template. Other than that, you're right, the save path is a fixed part of the name.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-07-13, 12:28

htuyar wrote:
2022-07-13, 11:37
distantpluto wrote:
2022-07-13, 11:08

For now, it is the intended behavior. The next thing I'm planning to add is a "save without asking" feature (this is what you want, right?). I'll have to tweak the UI for that a little.
Yes, that would be my default usage - "Capture..." would just automatically save to the path set in prefs. I think to have the option to save with the save dialogue as well would also be good. Choice is good :)
htuyar wrote:
2022-07-13, 11:37
The save path is not part of the "name" field but yes, the output file will always be in the save path as per the configuration. Do you mean you'd prefer that the last path chosen by the user be treated as the default save path and update that preference?

EDIT: By "name field" I thought you meant one of the placeholders in the template. Other than that, you're right, the save path is a fixed part of the name.
At the moment, this is what pops up...
SimpleScreenshot13-savedialogue.jpg

I highlighted the path, which is already set, in the "Name" field. If i were to now change the save path, the "Save in folder" will change accordingly but the file will still be saved to the predefined save path pref. If the save path is changed here, then the file should be saved to the changed location.

Edit: presumably, the "Name" field should only have the filename, not the path as well.

Cheers.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-07-14, 12:55

I've released version 1.4. This one fixes the file picker behavior and adds options for saving without asking for output path (on by default) and for using the last save directory as the default (off by default).

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-07-16, 12:33

htuyar wrote:
2022-07-14, 12:55
I've released version 1.4...
Lots of lovely options, working nicely, thanks :thumbup: