Double-click Tweaks

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Double-click Tweaks

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-18, 11:02

Hi,

Double-click Tweaks is a fork of the DblClicker extension. It has been available for a few days now. Although I've tested anything I could think of before releasing it, today I've noticed that it's causing some dropdown menus to not work. Like the "Quick links" menu on the Pale Moon forum site for example. I'll try to figure out and fix what's causing it. In the meantime, keep this in mind if you have the extension installed and dropdown menus aren't working.

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Double-click Tweaks

Unread post by Scribe » 2021-05-18, 13:53

Hi, yes you are right, I hadn't noticed that before, probably because only some links are affected. I also have a feeling that it's now necessary to x2 click much faster, maybe because extensions.dblclicker.dblclickspeed is no longer working? - I had it set to 500. Not a big problem though as long as one remembers to be a very quick clicker!

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-18, 16:34

I"ve based my fork on DblClicker version 1.5.5 because it was the last version that wasn't restartless and I didn't feel ready to learn that aspect of extension development. And also the changelog didn't indicate any substantial changes after that version, other than being converted to restartless. When I check the version 1.5.5 source, I see that the double click speed is set to 250 and is not configurable. And in the code for version 1.8.2 (the latest) it is configurable. I don't think it's going to be difficult to add the option to Double-click Tweaks and I will also check whether there are any other useful parts in 1.8.2 that could be backported. Also note that, during rebranding I've changed the extension settings prefix to "extensions.double-click-tweaks", so the setting will be named "extensions.double-click-tweaks.dblclickspeed" (once it is added, of course). I'll try to sort things out and release a new version. Let's hope it won't take long.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 16:38

Well if you get stuck update the thread and let us know. SOMEONE should be able to give you a hand in that case now that the issue is well defined.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-19, 09:40

Thanks Tobin. This has been an opportunity for me to understand the inner workings of the extension better and to get more familiar with the code base. I think I've figured the problem out after some debugging and tweaking. When cloning a mouse click event, the code was creating a new event using "document.createEvent". In later versions of DblClicker this was changed to "originalEvent.target.ownerDocument.createEvent". This seems to be the change that fixed it. I'm going to release a new version shortly, which also includes settings for double click speed and debug mode.

One thing I'd like to ask, though: DblClicker preferences make references to menus with ids "backForwardMenu", ""GBL-TB-Combined-Popup", "GBL-TB-UpMenu" and "PanelUI-historyItems". And there are references to buttons with ids "GBL-TB-Combined" and "GBL-TB-UpButton". I'm guessing most of these are irrelevant to Pale Moon, especially the GBL* ones. Am I right? I've opened the chrome document under DOM Inspector and tried searching for elements with these ids but nothing came up. On the other hand, when I searched for the id "back-button", nothing came up either but when I select the back button I can see that its id is set to "back-button". I don't know why it's not showing up in the search. Probably I'm doing or expecting something wrong.

UPDATE: New version is released.

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2021-05-19, 13:28

I've just tested v1.1 and can confirm that two drop-downs which weren't responding in v1.0 are now working as expected. Also, changing the x2 click speed from 250 to 500 now significantly slows down the speed needed to open links in a new tab.

Many thanks for implementing a fix so quickly.:thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-19, 16:25

Good work! :thumbup: