Extension Developer extension

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Extension Developer extension

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-19, 10:12

This is a fork of Developer Assistant for Firefox, available here when approved. Offers useful tools for XUL developers. Some of them like the Javascript injector are redundant now since we have the scratchpad. It adds an Extension Developer submenu to the tools menu and adds them all there. You can see the details on the addons page.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Re: Extension Developer extension

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-19, 17:25

moonbat wrote:
2021-04-19, 10:12
This is a fork of Developer Assistant for Firefox, available here when approved. Offers useful tools for XUL developers. Some of them like the Javascript injector are redundant now since we have the scratchpad. It adds an Extension Developer submenu to the tools menu and adds them all there. You can see the details on the addons page.
Real-time XUL editor doesn't work right. I use the XUL files from your PMPlayer project, it failed to parse the XML.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-20, 02:42

First of all, stop quoting the entire damn post when you reply. Second, the XUL editor is meant for you to test code snippets, not entire XUL files that are made up of top level windows or other components and include references to localized entities for displayed text.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-20, 02:47

I suppose, without actually running it, it would be like the Mozilla DevTools inspector and scratchpad.

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-20, 04:45

If I don't quote you how people know who the hell I'm talking to? If it's the case then Real-time XUL Editor name is a total misleading. Please rename it to something better describes what it really does. But I have to told you that, even if I stripped most part of the XUL file and there is only a window with a label left, there is much chance it failed to render. And this editor doesn't even have syntax highlighting, nor XML tag completion. It's OK for a snippet tester but not at all OK for something as "Real-time XUL Editor".

I searched through out github the previous day and found an extension that enable remote xul (open xul like as html) and he stated there is an option for firefox to do so on about:config without having to use his extension. I don't know if it's still apply to modern Pale Moon but it's much worthier than this "Real-time XUL Editor". I don't want to be rude and disrespect to moonbat for his passionate, he said he will fork it and only take a days to do so. But the extension he forked seems has very little value.

If it's not supported after all I think I will run palemoon -app to have it render my XUL. Don't know if it will work, not tried.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-20, 06:09

djgpp wrote:
2021-04-20, 04:45
If I don't quote you how people know who the hell I'm talking to?
Off-topic:
Quoting is used for replying to a specific part of a post. You don't have to use quotes in your second post, because it's widely understood that you're talking to moonbat, not someone else.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-20, 06:27

djgpp wrote:
If it's the case then Real-time XUL Editor name is a total misleading. Please rename it to something better describes what it really does. But I have to told you that, even if I stripped most part of the XUL file and there is only a window with a label left, there is much chance it failed to render.
You were saying? This is a portion of the options dialog from Pure URL.

Like I said, learn to use the damn thing instead of simply pasting an entire XUL file that refers to internationalized entities defined in a separate DTD file. I have replaced the label captions with literal strings here as you can see.
djgpp wrote:
And this editor doesn't even have syntax highlighting, nor XML tag completion. It's OK for a snippet tester but not at all OK for something as "Real-time XUL Editor".
Quit nitpicking. You're expecting this to be a full fledged IDE when you can't be fucking bothered to use the one I told you to, dismissing it having to purchase it without even verifying?
djgpp wrote:
I searched through out github the previous day and found an extension that enable remote xul (open xul like as html) and he stated there is an option for firefox to do so on about:config without having to use his extension. I don't know if it's still apply to modern Pale Moon but it's much worthier than this "Real-time XUL Editor". I don't want to be rude and disrespect to moonbat for his passionate, he said he will fork it and only take a days to do so. But the extension he forked seems has very little value.
You are rude and disrespectful for several things you've been doing so far - from going on spamming new posts asking stupid questions without bothering to tell us WTF you're trying to accomplish overall despite repeated queries from Moonchild and Tobin, to outright ignoring whatever suggestions were offered to you, going off on your own assumptions and then dismissing whatever is offered based on your own half assed knowledge because you didn't pay attention. Remote XUL was removed long, long ago from Firefox, again if you bothered to see how old whatever you found on Github was you would have figured.

A squirrel hopped up on cocaine with ADHD would have a bigger attention span than you have demonstrated so far.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-20, 06:40

Anyway, I think I found a minor bug in your extension, moonbat. When you open the preview of the Real-time XUL editor in a new window, the button for that option disappears, and doesn't re-appear even after you closed the new window. You can see it again by reopening the editor, but it's a bit annoying to me.

Other than that, good extension! This one easily replaces the outdated XUL Explorer for me. :thumbup:

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-20, 10:18

I took a look, it seems the author has deliberately chosen that behavior by collapsing the button and that whole panel when clicked. Don't know if it's an oversight or what but I guess it can be changed.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-20, 10:24

Improvements are always welcome!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-24, 08:43

Changelog for 1.0.2
  • XUL Editor - fixed new window button behavior.
  • XUL Editor (enhancement) - added button to strip localized entities. Useful if you are loading XUL source of an extension that's not installed in the current profile, to prevent parsing errors.
  • XUL Editor (enhancement) - Center new window, set to 30% of screen size instead of fixed.
  • Refactored file utils into a .jsm, more pending for later.
  • Removed redundant install.js

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-24, 11:11

Changelog for 1.1
  • Enhancement - Added refresh skin feature.
  • Enhancement - enabled icons for all menuitems in the tools menu.
  • Enhancement - Interlink support.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-28, 05:45

Changelog for 1.1.1
  • Fixed extension builder XPI creation, bypass jar packaging routines.
  • Change install.rdf editor to recognize UXP target applications.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-06, 08:33

Changelog for 1.1.3
  • Bugfix for refresh skins.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-03, 02:31

Changelog for 1.1.4
  • Moved the menu below 'Developer Tools' instead of above as before.