[Release] Stylem

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: [Release] Stylem

Unread post by adesh » 2019-12-04, 12:04

You don't need "http" bit in domain.

lunario

Unread post by lunario » 2019-12-04, 16:31

Thank you, but even without that bit it won't work

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-12-04, 21:48

lunario wrote:
2019-12-04, 10:26
the goal being to have grayscale on all sites except openstreetmap as it breaks the layout
I don't know regex and couldn't figure out how to remove "http" entirely, but changing the http in your expression to https seems to do what you want.
(openstreetmap.org appears to use https exclusively with no fallback to http.)

Code: Select all

@-moz-document regexp('(?!https://www\\.openstreetmap\\.org).*') {
html {
  filter: grayscale(100%);
}
}
This worked also:

@-moz-document regexp('(?!(http|https)://www\\.openstreetmap\\.org).*') {
html {
  filter: grayscale(100%);
}
}

lunario

Unread post by lunario » 2019-12-05, 08:41

Thanks a lot!

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2020-02-05, 18:19

Is this the place to post feature suggestions?
I have one, based on the Ffx extension "Stylus" (which you might want to look at it and run on Ffx a bit just to get a feel for the UI).

- On a drop down menu from the toolbar icon, under sub-menus for each theme active on that page, add some items:
1. Exclude this domain
2. Exclude this url
3. Exclude regex based on this url, which would open a regex edit window with the url text already in the editor, along with some regex examples.
4. Clone & Edit with External Editor - which would first ask you for the name of the new version, then create it and open it with the editor set in prefs.
5. Rename this theme.
6. Delete this theme.

"Stylus" has the first 2 of these, and although I've persistently experimented a lot with all similar extensions I've found over years with both PM and Ffx, it is the first I've found better for me than the plain old "toggle colors" button, specifically because of these 2 features.

They let me use a global theme as a default and easily except domains or pages. The only way to do this otherwise is hand editing the global theme and using regexes. While that can work, it's way too tedious to be practical, at least for us mere mortals who do regexes by iteration of a try-fail-try-fail cycle about eleventy-seven times before succeeding. As I exclude more websites by manual editing, those regexes grow longer and longer and harder to read. So I pretty much gave up on theming extensions (I'm just using the toggle colors button on PM now) before I tried Stylus, and that's what made the difference. I'm not dissing your effort with Stylem - it's better than Stylish, but, for me, this, with at least the first 2 items, would make it practical.
"To attempt to silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." - John Bryant

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-02-09, 13:49

Stylem always throws an error when starting, when it tries to access the extension with ID "{46551EC9-40F0-4e47-8E18-8E5CF550CFB8}".
Since the "addon" argument passed to the callback is an actual object only when that extension is installed, would it be possible to place a guard against null/undefined values, so as to not print any error message in the console?
Something like:

if (!addon) {
  return;
}
Always seeing that error is a bit annoying and some times I was tricked by it while troubleshooting some unrelated issues.
Thanks.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-02-09, 14:26

vannilla wrote:
2020-02-09, 13:49
Stylem always throws an error when starting, when it tries to access the extension with ID "{46551EC9-40F0-4e47-8E18-8E5CF550CFB8}".
Since the "addon" argument passed to the callback is an actual object only when that extension is installed, would it be possible to place a guard against null/undefined values, so as to not print any error message in the console?
This is the check Stylem performs to make sure that Stylish is not currently enabled (as the two will clash). Unfortunately, it seems that returning from that function will still log to console in your case, as the extension does not exist. I'm also not aware of a more elegant way to check for the extension's existence.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-02-09, 14:53

Sorry, but may I ask what made you make this change? There were no errors before that.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-02-09, 14:57

JustOff wrote:
2020-02-09, 14:53
Sorry, but may I ask what made you make this change? There were no errors before that.
I integrated the patch from here, to make it behave better on other applications.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-09, 15:00

JustOff wrote:
Checking the pref isn't really a reliable way to check the states of add-ons, IIUC.

As for the console error, why not simply use a try/catch instead?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-02-09, 15:06

Lootyhoof wrote:
2020-02-09, 14:26
This is the check Stylem performs to make sure that Stylish is not currently enabled (as the two will clash). Unfortunately, it seems that returning from that function will still log to console in your case, as the extension does not exist. I'm also not aware of a more elegant way to check for the extension's existence.
The error message I get is that "addon" is null on line 23. In that line the code tries to access "userDisabled", but since "addon" is null it generates an error.
Actually I haven't tried the fix(?) myself so I don't know what happens, but I suppose anything else than a stacktrace might at least make the error clearer that it's from Stylem snd not the browser/the website.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-02-09, 15:14

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-09, 15:00
JustOff wrote:
Checking the pref isn't really a reliable way to check the states of add-ons, IIUC.
It works great for classic XUL extensions, but not for bootstrap ones, not to mention WebExtensions, if that version of Stylish caused the issue in Waterfox.

Lootyhoof wrote:
2020-02-09, 14:57
I integrated the patch from here, to make it behave better on other applications.
Thank you, I'll try to offer you a more accurate check for all browsers you support. Perhaps even "if (!addon || addon.userDisabled)" is enough.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-04-07, 16:25

Stylem has been updated to v2.2.6.

What's new?
- change first run URL to be the repository's wiki
- revert disabler change from 2.2.5
- adjust supported applications
- minor CSS cleanup

JustOff wrote:
2020-02-09, 15:14
I'll try to offer you a more accurate check for all browsers you support.
I dropped Waterfox support, so I reverted this anyway.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-04-26, 10:03

Thank you for the wonderful Stlylem! If possible, please consider adding a configurable shortcut for toggling "Turn all styles on".

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-04-29, 09:10

For the keyboard shortcut, this solution is easy and works. Just use the code below instead, in step 6:

let prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);
let key = 'extensions.stylem.styleRegistrationEnabled';
prefs.setBoolPref(key, ! prefs.getBoolPref(key));

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2020-07-19, 16:56

Long time user, thanks for porting this to Pale Moon :thumbup: It's a great help in navigating the web with JS mostly turned off

Here's something that puzzles me: making rules for "svg" elements doesn't work. For example I often go to inspect element and add svg {display:none} on sites littered with huge logos where I don't wanna turn on CSS (e.g. Urban Dictionary). This never works when I add it as a Stylem rule (incidentally also doesn't work in Stylish or any other fork)

There's always a workaround, e.g. for UD: .svgicon {display:none} but it'd be nicer to be able to use the svg element itself :)

Gumboots
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gumboots » 2020-09-07, 00:14

Hi. Great extension. I use it quite a lot, including for handy testing of new ideas. One question though. How easy, or not, would it be to customise the editor presentation?

Reason I ask is because for coding in Notepad++ I use a customised version of its Obsidian style, which I find the most useful all-rounder. The default stark white background in Stylem's editor is ok if you are working on a light style, but the glaring contrast between it and a dark style makes editing and colour balancing more difficult than I would prefer. If the editor can be re-styled to something darker or more neutral I think this would be much better.*

I have had a bit of a look through the GitHub repo, but haven't been able to make much sense of the contents yet. Any pointers would be appreciated. :)
*BTW, I edited Pale Moon's about:config to set a default window background of #92ADB0, which is a very mellow colour that plays nicely with most things. It even plays nicely with sites that are coded by people who (ahem) can't be bothered setting their own background declaration for the html or body tags because (grumble) they just know it will always be white.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-09-07, 00:27

Stylem uses the Developer Tools as its editing component by default. If you open the Developer Tools (F12/Ctrl+Shift+I) and change the theme to dark it should change in Stylem too.

Gumboots
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gumboots » 2020-09-07, 02:40

Cool. That's much better. Thanks. Although it would still be handy if the syntax highlighting could be changed to differentiate between tags, id's, classes, and properties. At the moment tags and id's share the same colour, as do classes and properties. But that is getting into editing the dev tools rather than your extension.

Gumboots
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gumboots » 2020-09-07, 04:15

One point: I've set devtools.toolbox.zoomValue to 1.25 in about:config, which boosts code font size in the dev tools to a handy level for my eyesight and monitor. However, it has no apparent effect on font size in Stylem's editor. I know it's possible to temporarily increase it with Ctrl+ but that resets to default zoom in every new window.

Is there an easy way of permanently increasing font size inside Stylem?

ETA: Noticed another bug.

Although Stylem generally picks up the dev tools dark theme, it does not pick up the text colour for selected text. The selection background appears, but the text itself remains at its default colour. IOW, it's mid-grey on a blue background, instead of being white on a blue background. The result that the text is almost illegible when selected.

Admittedly this is a pretty minor bug, because you can argue that anyone should know what text they're selecting, but better legibility would still be a UX improvement.