[Release] Stylem

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: [Release] Stylem

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2018-08-20, 10:11

Lootyhoof wrote:The errors here are due to the style itself, which looks to be updated frequently. For example:

::selection should be ::-moz-selection

@-webkit-keyframes should be @keyframes

This is not an issue with Stylem but looks to be a quirk between how the style works in other browsers (Chrome?).
So can this be added to Stylem to support such styles? Because Stylish and FF work on them good, and as I understand, this is not the only example of such styles...

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-08-20, 11:26

Stylem does not and cannot add or change CSS functionality in the browser.

Such support would need to be added to the browser itself, not this extension.

ChoGGi

Unread post by ChoGGi » 2018-08-21, 03:45

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for working on Stylish Stylem for XUL.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-08-21, 15:57

ChoGGi wrote:Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for working on Stylish Stylem for XUL.
No problem, happy to know it's appreciated. I use it pretty extensively with theme development, so considering its state and current ownership I was happy to continue work on it. :)

Offset

Unread post by Offset » 2018-08-22, 18:48

It works a treat, thanks. I'm often making little tweaks to pages now, just for the heck of it.

Will it be possible in future to change the overall Window colour from blue to anything else of choice? I ask because of insomnia sessions, when I might do a bit of this or that with the browser. Blue is said to be an alertness stimulating colour whilst red or green are not.

[edit: I know that the DOM and CSS can't do it, but is it possible elsewise? Sort of a hybrid between DOM and a theme or whatever?]
Last edited by Offset on 2018-08-22, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-01, 02:07

found a small bug: when you try to remove a theme through the toolbar icon, the Uninstall button does not work

otherwise, all hail the theme master :pray:
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-01, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-09-12, 18:51

Stylem has been updated to v2.2.4.

What's new?
- fix uninstalling styles by context menu
- fix applying userstyles on SeaMonkey

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-09-12, 18:52

Offset wrote:It works a treat, thanks. I'm often making little tweaks to pages now, just for the heck of it.

Will it be possible in future to change the overall Window colour from blue to anything else of choice? I ask because of insomnia sessions, when I might do a bit of this or that with the browser. Blue is said to be an alertness stimulating colour whilst red or green are not.

[edit: I know that the DOM and CSS can't do it, but is it possible elsewise? Sort of a hybrid between DOM and a theme or whatever?]
This is already possible. You could do something like this, for example (on Windows anyway):

Code: Select all

#main-window {
  background: black !important;
}

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-13, 03:02

lovely update!!

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-10-01, 00:54

Is there some easy to backup a style before editing it? Is there someway to use an external editor like geany? Failing that, is there some way to get the editor to recognize a style for the editor itself? I've tried several light-on-dark styles that seem to have no effect.
"To attempt to silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." - John Bryant

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-01, 01:07

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Is there some easy to backup a style before editing it?
Manage styles, edit, select all, paste into a decent txt client?
Last edited by doofy on 2018-10-01, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-10-01, 02:24

doofy wrote:
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Is there some easy to backup a style before editing it?
Manage styles, edit, select all, paste into a decent txt client?
Ah, the obvious extension of that would do for editing in an external editor too. Thanks. I was hoping there was some built in facility or stylem-editor extension I'd missed, but that's an improvement on what I've been doing, which was backing up my whole profile folder, before editing.
"To attempt to silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." - John Bryant

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-01, 02:33

FWIW, I use Notepad++ which is a multitab editor which happily presents css/js styles, and is very close to being as fast as the default windows crap txt editor.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-10-01, 19:20

Is there any reasonably straight forward way to exclude sites from a global style?

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-10-02, 19:48

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Is there any reasonably straight forward way to exclude sites from a global style?
As far as can tell, NO.
BUT:
If anyone else is trying to do this, I've come pretty close by creating styles for the domains I would exclude, with code for the things I want done differently from what the global style specifies. I'm not clear on how conflicting specs in multiple styles active at the same time are resolved, but bumbling around not knowing the rules, just doing trial & error, I've still managed to get useful results. So, anybody with a similar goal might try that.

I still can't tweak checkboxes to show properly in my dark style on all sites. That may be related to an ancient bug inherited from Ffx. If I understand it correctly, checkbox characteristics set by a website are very difficult to over-ride. I'd give up on that if it weren't for the fact DARK GMAIL is able to modify gmail checkboxes, so it is possible. Haven't managed to get that to work for any other site though.

But overall, kudos & thanks to Lootyhoof - I've been fiddling with multiple approaches to color/font tweaking for years and with Stylem, and editing some styles, I've finally gotten pretty close to what I want - high contrast, light on dark, that I don't have to keep toggling on and off to see what I'm missing.
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-10-02, 20:03, edited 2 times in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-02, 19:59

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Is there any reasonably straight forward way to exclude sites from a global style?
As far as can tell, NO.
You might get on better with advanced night mode. It is easy to edit the default colours, and having done so, it is easy to change how it operates on different websites, or if it is disabled.

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-10-02, 20:13

doofy wrote:
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:
As far as can tell, NO.
You might get on better with advanced night mode. It is easy to edit the default colours, and having done so, it is easy to change how it operates on different websites, or if it is disabled.
Thanks. I may try it again. It may have improved since I last did. But for now, I seem to have everything working pretty darn well, for the first time since I started fiddling with system and browser themes & settings decades ago. Here is this page:
custom-dark.png
The only significant issue I have left is those #*@! checkboxes at protonmail.

vanowm

Unread post by vanowm » 2018-11-26, 17:38

Thank you for this addon.
Just stopping by to tell you, it's working fine in Waterfox 56.2.5.
One thing Waterfox users must do before restarting browser after installing Stylem, in about:config reset extensions.enabledAddons setting (if exists), otherwise it might end up in infinite loop restarting browser after telling you Stylish must be disabled, making browser unusable and you'll have to launch it in safe mode and clear that setting (or manually edit prefs.js and delete entire line started with user_pref("extensions.enabledAddons")
Waterfox no longer uses this setting and Stylem uses is to detect Stylish.
Another issue in Waterfox/Firefox with the way this is done, is because it displays a modal window (alert), it stops browser from properly initialize and it fails to restore session after restart.

Just in case, attached modified content/overlay.js that works properly in all browsers. The only side effect is that it will show the window together with the alert dialog.
Attachments
overlay.js
(21.21 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

JebDude
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by JebDude » 2019-04-11, 14:31

Lootyhoof wrote:Given that people have had issues with Stylish as of late, with the main issue being installing styles from userstyles.org, I decided to fork Stylish. Say hello to Stylem! :thumbup:
Sir, you are a god among men! It is so nice to have this port for Palemoon. Any chance we can get some import/export functions? I have dozens of custom CSS bits that I use all the time. Would be nice to take care of these in one swoop.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-05-22, 20:59

Stylem has been updated to v2.2.5.

What's new?
- make the Stylish disabler work better across XUL applications (thanks vanowm)
- fix installing userstyles from userstyles.org (though customizable styles will use their default settings)
- add Borealis Navigator support
- adjust for Interlink support
- remove Thunderbird/Postbox/Fennec support
JebDude wrote:
2019-04-11, 14:31
Any chance we can get some import/export functions?
See: https://github.com/Lootyhoof/stylem/issues/1 (tl;dr: maybe, though it would be nice if someone could contribute that).