Splashed! [support topic]

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Splashed! [support topic]

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-06-30, 03:21

Splashed!
Splashed! is a fork of the old Splash! add-on for Firefox which has been long abandoned and unmaintained since Firefox 5+. Need a splash screen while you wait? Certain applications have splash screens to let the user know that there's something happening and with this extension, you can now do so!

Download:
PM Add-ons site or at the repository
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2020-01-29, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update initial post, removed list of supported applications

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Splashed! [support topic]

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-06-30, 19:56

Oh wow!! :thumbup: I have never seen anything like this, at least not done with the browser.

At first, I was confused and then curious, so I gave it a try. May I make a suggestion? I think you should give a better definition of your add-on, cause I never new you called that a splash screen or have seen one in a long time.

Question:
How would this work on the portable version of Pale Moon? I believe it already comes with a splash screen of itself.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-06-30, 22:35

No issues so far with this extension.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-07-05, 07:14

LimboSlam wrote:Question:
How would this work on the portable version of Pale Moon? I believe it already comes with a splash screen of itself.
Yup, it would still work with the portable version since the splash screen in PM-Portable is spawn from a separate executable, not PM itself. Btw I have updated the description in the add-ons page.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-05, 12:19

If you want to replace the splash screen in the portable with the one provided by the extension instead of having them double up, you can change the following in palemoon-portable.ini:
  1. Find the [Options] section in the .ini (near the bottom)
  2. Find the line ShowSplash=true
  3. Change true to false
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-07-05, 21:40

Moonchild wrote:If you want to replace the splash screen in the portable with the one provided by the extension instead of having them double up, you can change the following in palemoon-portable.ini:
  1. Find the [Options] section in the .ini (near the bottom)
  2. Find the line ShowSplash=true
  3. Change true to false
But, not in install version?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-05, 21:58

Latitude wrote:But, not in install version?
... Maybe a little dense today? :)
The install version doesn't come with a splash screen.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Alex77

Unread post by Alex77 » 2017-12-10, 17:24

Whoa, thanks for resurrecting the Splash extension, missed that since a long time. And thanks also for the Moonscape theme!

So finally I got my good old Netscape splash back: ;)

Just one thing: The "Windows Style" settings don't seem to have any effect. No matter what I put in, like padding, margin or border values, there's no change in appearance. Not a big deal though, I'm satisfied how it looks now anyway, so just saying.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-12-29, 14:45

Alex77 wrote:Just one thing: The "Windows Style" settings don't seem to have any effect. No matter what I put in, like padding, margin or border values, there's no change in appearance. Not a big deal though, I'm satisfied how it looks now anyway, so just saying.
I can't confirm. Can I see the code you placed into the Window Style?

Aside from that, a new release is now up: v1.1.1
  • Provide support for Basilisk and SeaMonkey
    • Splashed! will now work on these applications ^
    • However, transparency is not working and will cause a black rectangle to appear. Setting the splash to transparent will not work and will resort to showing a gray background color (depends on your system - this bug is not present in Pale Moon/FossaMail)
I wasn't able to post a changelog for the previous release (v1.1.0) but the notable ones are:
  • The -splash cmd arg is now restored
    • Means that even if splash is disabled in the options window, you can force show it by using this command line argument
  • Add new pref (splash.notOnURL)
    • To prevent showing splash if browser was launched with -url flag

Alex77

Unread post by Alex77 » 2017-12-30, 09:17

It's working now! Made a new Pale Moon installation, don't know if it was the update to 1.1.1. or some problem with the old installation, but now the window settings show effect. Thanks again! :)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-02, 16:23

Hi FranklinDM - my impression is that there isn't anything you can do about my question since the problem I have is due to the way ABPrime understandably works (blocks before loads occur) that is supported via github but since I am unable to log-in to github to ask questions there about ABPrime (for some reason github fails to verify my email address so can't use it) and I am told HERE that I should not expect any help from the Pale Moon forum regarding ABPrime (even though one would think that maybe some ABPrime user(s) might know something on this which was my intention) so since it seems I have no other recourse (unless an ABPrime user eventually does offer some advice in the other forum linked below) --- I thought I'd run it past you for what it's worth (besides it was recommended that I ask you ;) under the circumstances).

It would be nice to be able to use both ABPrime and Splashed together, but it may be that they are just not compatible together -- so I'm just checking with you. I like the splash screen because Pale Moon takes a while to load and my wife sometimes gets impatient and clicks twice because of the long load time which this splash screen helps avoid by informing her the browser is in-fact loading.

Rather than post the question over again -- here is the link to my question: ABPrime delays splashed add-on.

Thanks in advance for any help (and thanks for the great add-on -- I use it in Basilisk as well w/o ABPrime). :D
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-03-03, 04:24

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Rather than post the question over again -- here is the link to my question: ABPrime delays splashed add-on.
Hi @Pale Moon Rising,
Can you try testing v1.1.2.a2 if it fixes the missing splash image problem?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-03, 05:59

FranklinDM wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Rather than post the question over again -- here is the link to my question: ABPrime delays splashed add-on.
Hi @Pale Moon Rising,
Can you try testing v1.1.2.a2 if it fixes the missing splash image problem?
Great job!! That absolutely fixed the missing image issue. :clap: I didn't think anything could be done to fix this because of how ABPrime loads before anything else can. I'm impressed. :thumbup:

Many thanks for the quick fix FranklinDM :thumbup:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-03, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-07-12, 11:22

A new release is now up: v1.1.4
  • Allow background transparency for Pale Moon 27 (and lower) and FossaMail
    • This also adds checks for the background color.
    • If the user placed "transparent" as the value and transparency is not supported by the application, it will be ignored and instead, the splash will use -moz-Dialog as color.
v1.1.4.1 is just the same release with a small edit in the install manifest for Basilisk.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-07-13, 09:02

Busy using this. What a fun add-on :D Thank you!
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-08-19, 07:23

Would there be a reason why Splashed! does not appear to display the splash screen about 98% of the time since v28?

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-08-19, 09:03

For some reason, this happens in profiles migrating from v27. I can reliably reproduce this with my own default profile but not in my development profile or in a clean profile.

Could you try resetting Splashed's preferences and reinstalling the extension?
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2018-08-19, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-08-19, 17:04

FranklinDM wrote:.... Could you try resetting Splashed's preferences and reinstalling the extension?
Reset prefs and reinstalled and tested 8 browsers loads and all 8 loads displayed the splash screen -- so I can confidently say taking these steps fixed the problem. :clap: Thanks! :thumbup:

Worth noting when comparing previous Splashed! prefs to the current prefs after reinstalling I found one less pref now: "Extensions.Splash.resetVersion" = "1.1.0" does not currently exist. Perhaps this pref has something to do with the problem in the first place. :think: (... thought I'd mention this just in case it's meaningful).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-08-19, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-08-19, 17:24

FranklinDM - Btw just to clarify, I am a user that has gone from PM27 to PM28 so for users like myself that have this problem with Splashed! --- it appears the procedure you prescribed is the answer. :thumbup:

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-08-25, 07:16

I cannot find the root cause of this problem with the v27 -> v28, however, as this did not happen with my development profile and test profile. No errors were thrown in the console.

A small new release is now up: v1.1.5
  • The splash window can now be set as always on top (for Windows users only).