Splashed! [support topic]

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Splashed! [support topic]

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-01-26, 15:37

The extension modifies the background of the splash window by setting the style attribute of the window element via JS. While testing some stuff around, I've found a workaround that allows transparency without reverting bug 1239743. It works if I set the window background to transparent on the XUL overlay file directly, but if it's only done through JS, it doesn't work. In other words, transparent chrome windows still work but they must be set in the overlay file directly (or probably through CSS), but doing so programmatically via JS is broken.

I've attached a rough test extension with a toolbar button providing 3 options: (a) static, (b) scripted, and (c) opaque. With static, the background is already set to transparent in the overlay (the workaround); scripted sets the style attribute and changes the background to transparent via JS (broken and uses black background if the mentioned bug is not reverted); opaque is just a regular splash window with a non-transparent background.

The workaround I've found is odd but it works as-is (and will be included in the next update to this extension). I think it's the most appropriate way rather than to not constrain the window's texture size.
Attachments
src.xpi
Splash test extension
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-01-27, 04:29

Update to Splashed: v1.4.0
  • Include workaround for transparent splash windows
    - Transparent backgrounds for the splash window can now be set again, by changing splash background color to transparent and adding background: transparent; to the window style.
Update options: GitHub releases, APO, Basilisk Add-ons Site, Interlink Add-ons Site, manually check for updates through the Add-ons Manager.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-01-27, 05:01

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-01-26, 15:37
but if it's only done through JS, it doesn't work.
You defined the function Init, but did not call it. Just call it.
It works.

Code: Select all

function init() {
};

init();

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-01-27, 05:14

Kris_88 wrote:
2022-01-27, 05:01
You defined the function Init, but did not call it.
It's called on page load:

Code: Select all

<window id="splashscreen"
        title="Splash"
        windowtype="Splash:Test"
        onclick="window.close();"
        onload="init();"
        flex="1"
        hidechrome="true"
        xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-01-27, 05:27

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-01-27, 05:14
It's called on page load:
It does not work for some reason.
Try to do as I wrote.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-01-27, 05:46

Probably, the alpha channel setting does not have an effect after the window is drawn. But it works before drawing.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-01-27, 08:50

It also works with DOMContentLoaded, thanks. I'll be using this instead in the next update. The thing is, this used to work regardless of when the background is set before the said bug landed.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-01-27, 08:56

Update to Splashed: v1.4.1
  • Simplify preview image handling in options window
  • Use DOMContentLoaded event for splash initialization
    - Removes workaround included in the previous version.
Update options: GitHub releases, APO, Basilisk Add-ons Site, Interlink Add-ons Site, manually check for updates through the Add-ons Manager.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-27, 11:08

The fact it worked before was probably due to timing. You seem to have hit a race condition and the "onload" would be unrealiable because DOM would not be fully initialized yet, likely overwriting the js-set style with what was defined in the window definition (i.e. it would be applied then immediately reset). Timing changed with the extra check being introduced because it would make calls to the renderer.
DOMContentLoaded will always only fire after the document structure has been finalized, avoiding that race.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-02-02, 15:46

Update to Splashed: v1.4.2
  • Update install manifest

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-01-27, 12:36

Update to Splashed: v1.4.3
  • Add support for Epyrus
  • Mark as compatible with Pale Moon 32
Update options: Fresco, check for updates using the Add-ons Manager.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-07-25, 22:33

The add-on Splashed! v1.4.3 splash screen display is barely perceptible on Basilisk (virtually not at all visible) -- while on Pale Moon the same extension displays for several seconds. (placed this in Basilisk forum, but thought perhaps it should be here).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-07-31, 05:31

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2023-07-25, 22:33
... splash screen display is barely perceptible on Basilisk (virtually not at all visible)
I can't confirm this. The way the splash screen is displayed depends on how you've configured Splashed. If you've checked the "Close splash when main window loads" option, it is possible that the splash screen won't show up at all if it immediately detects that the main browser window is already loaded.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-31 132713.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-07-31, 06:30

^ Thanks for the reply - it appears to be working fine now (w/out any changes made by me). It has been consistently not getting displayed for the Basilisk browser previously over a prolonged period of time.

I use the same settings for both Pale Moon and Basilisk (default settings I presume) - no problems at all with Pale Moon noted as contrasted to a minuscule display at best with Basilisk (when one would expect the same results using the same settings) .

Pale Moon:
Pale Moon Splashed.png
Basilisk:
Basilisk Splashed.png
Just one of those things I guess - virtually no splash for many days for Basilisk browser (perhaps a week or more as far as I can recall) and now after checking Basilisk out 3 times just now, it looks fine every time.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising