GetemAll! - Fork of DownthemAll!

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: GetemAll! - Fork of DownthemAll!

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-04-27, 06:54

Changelog for 1.2.1
This release has a few fixes and new features courtesy RealityRipple :mrgreen:
  • Add "Select file extension on rename" preference
  • Rename "Remove completed downloads immediately" preference
  • Convert Binary Hash to Hex String
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-02, 01:45

Changelog for 1.2.2
  • Added Polish localization by forum user Piotrek Ślusarz :mrgreen:
Please feel free to contact me for adding other localizations for this or my other extensions (in my signature).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-06-30, 17:07

Hi. Let's see if this thread of forum is different or business as usual.
Which of feature requests listed below you could implement in this extension?

- Add "Go to referring page" in right-click menu of the download.
- Menu to group downloads by the values of Estimated Time column and/or Progress column to have all failed/skipped/complete/paused etc. downloads close to each other at the moment of sorting
(having Running/Waiting downloads as a constant group would be problematic as they may change their status without user's interference)
- Option to automatically remove Skipped for the reason of identical names downloads from the list like it is done for complete downloads.
- Add new downloads on the top of the list instead of on the bottom.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2023-06-30, 18:09

vchuubacabra wrote:
2023-06-30, 17:07
Hi. Let's see if this thread of forum is different or business as usual.
Which of feature requests listed below you could implement in this extension?

- Add "Go to referring page" in right-click menu of the download.
- Menu to group downloads by the values of Estimated Time column and/or Progress column to have all failed/skipped/complete/paused etc. downloads close to each other at the moment of sorting
(having Running/Waiting downloads as a constant group would be problematic as they may change their status without user's interference)
- Option to automatically remove Skipped for the reason of identical names downloads from the list like it is done for complete downloads.
- Add new downloads on the top of the list instead of on the bottom.
Referring page context menu item:
Doable - Here's the commit to achieve it: https://gitlab.com/RealityRipple-xul/getemall/-/compare/master...open-referrer?from_project_id=25676375&straight=false

Grouping:
Unfortunately, when this extension was developed, the developer had a different methodology in mind - rather than sorting and groups, this extension filters. If you click the "Download/Name", "Size", "Est. Time", and "Save Path" column headers, you get dropdowns to filter which downloads should be visible: "Download/Name" lets you filter by file type and origin URL; "Size" by various file size ranges; "Est. Time" provides ranges of remaining time as well as the current download state.

Remove identical names:
There's a context menu sub-item that's literally called "Remove Duplicates" under the "Remove Downloads" menu. There's also a setting under general: "When a file of the same name already exists:" with the options "Rename", "Overwrite", "Skip", or "Ask".

Add new downloads:
This could cause some undesired behavior when a Concurrent Downloads limit is reached, since the order in the list is used for the queue order, older downloads would be interrupted/paused to allow the new one to start. It would be possible to invert absolutely everything, so that the bottom of the list is the top of the queue, but I don't think many users would like this, as it's counter-intuitive.

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-06-30, 21:18

Understood.
RealityRipple wrote:
2023-06-30, 18:09
Remove identical names:
There's a context menu sub-item that's literally called "Remove Duplicates" under the "Remove Downloads" menu. There's also a setting under general: "When a file of the same name already exists:" with the options "Rename", "Overwrite", "Skip", or "Ask".
Yes, may happen it's link added for download for the second time in the same download session or with list saved from previous session, but I mean situation when file queued for download already exist on the storage but is not listed in downloads, and option for already existing files is set to Ask. Then GtA creates downloads list entry, asks what to do, gets answer "Skip" and sets status of download entry to Skipped. If this is exactly what Remove Duplicates is for, then OK (but needs clarifying imo). And if this looks like insignificant improvement, then just an option "Go to referring page" is good too.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2023-06-30, 22:09

Ah, I see the use-case you're referring to. I believe that's a matter of order-of-operations - the download is appended to the list, the row is added to the treeview, the download is started, the existing file is detected, the prompt is shown, the row is marked as skipped. Only a limited amount of data is passed from the first operation to the last one, and it changes with every step. I can see if there's a good spot in code to check for the file existence and abort before the sequence gets through the first step.

Edit: Looked into it. There is a place where a check would be ideal, but it's not a good spot to show the "rename/override/cancel" prompt, due to the prompt being asynchronous and the ideal spot being synchronous. I wrote a patch that will achieve this, but it's not exactly the best:
https://gitlab.com/RealityRipple-xul/getemall/-/compare/master...check-exists?from_project_id=25676375&straight=false

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-07-16, 20:45

How getting new functions in extension works?
Do I must to be able to compile my own version myself?
Or you as a group of developers carefully consider if they should be included in some release and sooner or later they may appear afer extension update?
Currently I have version 1.2.4 from July 10 and it has no option to open referring page via context menu.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2023-07-16, 22:22

I roll my own fork. Moonbat imports changes if they're desired or relevant to the main fork.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-17, 00:15

The original DownThemAll was one of the most popular classic Firefox extensions; I decided to fork it for Pale Moon in case the original XUL one went away (the current Firefox version is a web extension and lacks features that this one does). It is mostly feature complete as a download manager, RealityRipple has made patches for small fixes now and then.

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-07-17, 15:15

moonbat wrote:
2023-07-17, 00:15
The original DownThemAll was one of the most popular classic Firefox extensions; I decided to fork it for Pale Moon in case the original XUL one went away (the current Firefox version is a web extension and lacks features that this one does). It is mostly feature complete as a download manager, RealityRipple has made patches for small fixes now and then.
Random Techsupport Article wrote: Was this answer helpful? : [Yes] [No]
Ok, let me ask directly: will you add to extension some improvements from RealityRipple's fork which I asked for few posts above?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-17, 23:40

vchuubacabra wrote:
2023-07-17, 15:15
Ok, let me ask directly: will you add to extension some improvements from RealityRipple's fork which I asked for few posts above?
Read again:
moonbat wrote:
2023-07-17, 00:15
RealityRipple has made patches for small fixes now and then.
and then read the changelog in this very thread before your first comments.

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-07-18, 00:06

Last changelog before my post is for version 1.2.2.
I currently have installed version 1.2.4.
What have you changed?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-18, 00:52

MInor Polish translation fixes from the translator.

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-07-18, 05:13

So your historical digression translates into you DON'T ADD NEW FEATURES and if I want some, I need to find a way to do it MYSELF, like in my inqury.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-18, 07:00

vchuubacabra wrote:
2023-07-18, 05:13
So your historical digression translates into you DON'T ADD NEW FEATURES and if I want some, I need to find a way to do it MYSELF, like in my inqury.
What the fuck are you talking about?

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-07-18, 07:14

moonbat wrote:
2023-07-18, 07:00
What the fuck are you talking about?
About the story you told of how great original Firefox extension was and why you decided to fork it and blah blah blah.
I'm not interested in history, I am interested in referring page of download being open via command from context menu and yet something.
RealityRipple made those patches in his own fork. I thought all changes are centralized and automatically added to main extension, but no, it's LEGO for developers as always.
So someone not familiar with xul building won't be able to get extension version rich with features that someone desires.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-18, 07:26

vchuubacabra wrote:
2023-07-18, 07:14
RealityRipple made those patches in his own fork. I thought all changes are centralized and automatically added to main extension, but no, it's LEGO for developers as always.
Then you need to understand how open source projects and forks work; or do you expect new features in Firefox to automatically be added to Pale Moon as well, based on both codebases having had a common ancestor? RealityRipple has often contributed patches to integrate here and I've always added them.

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-07-18, 07:30

I don't care for new features in Firefox as my main browser is Opera and I'm simple Windows user who doesn't build software from the sources on his own.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-18, 09:35

Can you, just... not throw a tantrum and attack someone who is creating a browser extension just because you can't get the feature you want?
I mean, come on. If you want it that much, you can create your own fork and add it yourself (and maybe contribute it back as an enhancement if it's generally acceptable). Creating and maintaining extensions isn't rocket science. Tens of thousands of ordinary users have done so.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vchuubacabra
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by vchuubacabra » 2023-07-18, 10:38

Tantrums and attacks are in your head.
I asked for features, RealityRipple said it's done, but didn't explain it is done only in his repository.
When extension got an update, I didn't see them and asked if I have to do everything myself and I got lecture about days long gone in response.
Is it that hard to give direct answer to concrete question?