Citibank needs User Agent Override updated for login to work Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Citibank needs User Agent Override updated for login to work

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-04, 18:18

Citi.com - as of today renders a login error stating that the UID and/or PWD (entered) are invalid (when they aren't invalid) which is an old issue that has returned - attempted to login 3 times that produced the same (false) error result each time.

I was formerly using the "general.useragent.override.citi.com" as "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux x86_64; rv:114.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/114.0.1" that has worked seamlessly for the last 19 months based on what was discussed in the last topic on this subject (last topic on this has been locked).

The "general.useragent.override.citi.com" needs to be changed to "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux x86_64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0" (most recent FF release).

After modifying the UAO preference "string" setting to the value referenced above - the login page worked again (on multiple logins).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Citibank needs User Agent Override updated for login to work

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-06, 19:26

Due to a perceived problem with another website (specifically ATT.com regarding a profile setting issue, which was resolved today by AT&T) - Yesterday, I cleared browser cache (to see if that would address the issue).

Not sure if the clearing of browser cache is the reason - but as of today the Citibank login issue as resurfaced (i.e. not identifying correct UID/PWD input).

I eventually did a reset on the UA Override for Citi and discovered the default value of the Override is now "Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12".

Which thankfully works! :clap: - as referenced HERE (posted by LAR Grizzly) in this (locked) topic. Nice to find out a way to get Citibank to login successfully still remains available to PM users (I was getting a bit frustrated until I tried the Override "reset").

I would have deleted the forum topic at this point, but the window for this has been long closed (sorry for the diversion - since the UA override default for citi.com is what it is and works, which I had not been using).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-06, 22:04

As an afterthought it occurred to me that I might as well post the errors encountered in the "Browser Console" (FWIW) when attempting log-in to Citibank using Pale Moon in "Safe-Mode" (that when using "Safe-Mode" the login page fails to fully load as the page gets hung-up in the process of attempting to render the login page before the page can even get to the UID/PWD error that occurs when NOT using "Safe-Mode").

As I recall there were no "errors" (only "warnings") in the "Error Console".

However there were these "errors" that occurred in the "Browser Console" as I recall (a result of attempting to login to Citbank using Pale Moon in "Safe-Mode"):

Code: Select all

The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol.  
Pale%20Moon%20start-page%20plus.html
Content Security Policy: Ignoring ‘x-frame-options’ because of ‘frame-ancestors’ directive. 
(unknown)
unreachable code after return statement[Learn More]  
mVR4nBwc:1:220958
Error: WebGL: Failed to create WebGL context: WebGL is currently disabled.  
mVR4nBwc:1:171420
mVR4nBwc:1:159358
Perhaps this might be helpful in determining a way to facilitate better performance using Citibank in Pale Moon.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-07, 05:53

I have no idea why Citibank needs WebGL, but unless you have disabled it in about:config, looks like WebGL is disabled in safe mode and Citibank looks for it. Since it wasn't working anyway, I don't think this is related.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-07, 06:11

moonbat wrote:
2024-03-07, 05:53
I have no idea why Citibank needs WebGL, but unless you have disabled it in about:config, looks like WebGL is disabled in safe mode and Citibank looks for it. Since it wasn't working anyway, I don't think this is related.
Is there a pref setting in about:config that needs to be "enabled" in regards to "WebGL"?

checking about:config - there must be around 30 settings that reference "webgl" in the about:config one way or another.... and I don't recall changing any of these pref setting in about:config and it appears that I'm correct to say this by looking at the settings (none of these pref settings are bolded - which I think indicates that the setting has been changed from the default to a users preferred value as far as I'm aware - so I'm assuming there all the "default" for Pale Moon in regards to these type pref settings).
moonbat wrote:
2024-03-07, 05:53
I...Since it wasn't working anyway, I don't think this is related.
The Login is working as long as I have the correct User Agent Override for Citibank (that I mentioned above).

The Console Errors I posted occurred when I hadn't "reset" the UA Override to the default value yet (I have no idea if those errors will occur using the "default" User Agent Override or not - but as of when I did start using the default User Agent Override the login did then work fine).

What I was wondering is - if those errors can be addressed (eliminated), then would Pale Moon have less problems with Citibank.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-07, 07:03

Install the official extension Pale Moon Commander, it adds an Advanced Preferences option in the tools menu. From the resulting dialog, you can configure WebGL settings like so:
PM - advanced preferences-graphics.png
The settings you see here are at their default values, so WebGL is enabled by default. I find this far better than mucking around in about:config; at least for the settings that are exposed in this UI. If you don't touch anything, you can see at a glance what each setting is at its default.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-07, 20:40

I have had Pale Moon Commander (v3.0.1) installed for a very long time - just don't use it much.

I've got a little different rendering than you for the WebGL settings page:
PM Commander on WebGL setting page.png
The screen-shot above is what I get for this Interface.

So in my case if a "Disable..." setting is unchecked, then would that mean the setting is "Enabled"? (i.e. the setting is not "Disabled") and visa versa (the opposite would be the opposite result).
And visa versa - if an "Enable..." setting is unchecked, then would that mean the setting is "Disabled" (i.e. the setting is not "Enabled") and visa versa (the opposite would be the opposite result).

My interpretation of your rendering as this:
A red "X" means not set (i.e. "disabled") as opposed to a green CHECK mark that would mean it is set (i.e. "enabled").

If I am interpreting this accurately then it appears we have different settings - since I've never used this Interface in PM Commander before - I'm going to assume my settings are (must be) the DEFAULT settings for these settings (w/ this in mind, I'm not comfortable changing from what are the "default" settings for obvious reasons - that is w/out knowing the impact of doing so).

My interest is what might help with the usage (navigation) of the Citibank website.

As of now the site responds in a very "choppy" manner persistently scrolling back up to the top of pages a number of times before it finally settles down eventually and remains where I land on the page. Also buttons, links etc perform sluggishly to the extent it seems that some attempts fail to work (thus it seems multiple attempts, that is clicks, at navigating the website are required) - all of which would be nice to improve on in consideration the "Console Error" info I have previously posted (assuming addressing these type errors would impact navigating Citibank in a positive way).

What I'm wondering based on the errors I previously posted (re: WebGL errors) can be addressed via any of these type settings that might help improve the performance of Citibank used in Pale Moon.

Any suggestions regarding what I've got set? (I have no idea what any of the settings would do if changed from "default").
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-08, 15:16

The settings map to boolean values in about:config which means if they exist (they do by default else wouldn't be made a part of this extension) then they can only have 2 states - true or false. So being enabled/disabled when you haven't changed anything indicates whether they are true or false by default.

My screenshot is on Linux using the CuteMenus extension from CAA that prettifies the browser menus and UI controls.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-08, 17:33

Many thanks moonbat for all of your helpful feedback on this topic.

My attempts at clarification however regarding the respective (about:config) preference settings specific to the settings listed in PM Commander are not forthcoming so far.

My Commander settings:
PM Commander on WebGL setting page.png
So I'll list what PM Commander has listed (re: Commander settings respective to the equivalent about:config settings) and apply those settings to what would appear to the the corresponding settings in about:config (in an attempt to clarify).

Code: Select all

Force-enable WebGL		about:config pref "webgl.force-enabled" 		value "false"
Disable ANGLE			about:config pref "webgl.disable-angle"			value "false"
Disable WGL 			about:config pref "webgl.disable-wgl" 			value "false"
Disable WebGL extensions 	about:config pref "webgl.disable-wgl" 			value "false"
Enable draft extensions		about:config pref "webgl.enable-draft-extensions" 	value "false"
Enable privileged extensions	about:config pref "webgl.enable-priviliged-extensions" 	value "false"
In my case, all of these are unchecked (have no check mark) in Pale Moon Commander (as can be observed in my posted Commander screen-shot) and are all "false" in about:config (as reflected above).

Please allow me at this point to analyze these respective pref settings in respect to our settings that are not the same - in order to ultimately reach a question I have for you moonbat.

Conclusions:
1) Firstly, they are default settings (based on the fact I haven't changed them) - most importantly because they are dim (not highlighted) in about:config; indicative of "default" values.
2) If I were to check (place a check in checkbox) for any one of these settings the boolean value would toggle to the opposite value (i.e in this case toggle the respective about:config value to "true" as opposed to the "default" value as reflected in the list posted above).

Based on these two conclusions (more precisely conclusion #2) my settings in Pale Moon Commander (for these specific settings discussed) are assigning each of the respective boolean values to "false" as a result of the "empty" check box for each of the respective Pale Moon Commander settings.

Final conclusions of what the differences represent between my Pale Moon Commander and the "Linux" rendering of Pale Moon Commander, which is to say:
1) A blank checkbox (w/out a check) in my case is represented by a red "X" in the case of "Linux".
2) A checkbox with a check in my case is represented by a green check in the case of "Linux".

Assuming my conclusions to be correct in its entirety - then moonbat, it would appear our settings differ in two respects (i.e. we have two settings that are not the same):
My "Enable draft extensions" and my "Enable privileged extensions" are both set to "false" as contrasted to the "Linux" settings (you have) that are apparently set to "true" (i.e. what the "values" would be reflected for these two boolean (true/false) toggle settings in our respective browsers about:config values for these corresponding pref settings). Please advise, if any of the deductions I've reached above are incorrect.

So, my final conclusion above begs the question of you moonbat - why are these two settings for you toggled to "true" as opposed to the apparent "default" value of "false" (based on what I have in my about:config) for these two specific settings?

Again, my goal is to determine if there's anything that can be done to improve how Pale Moon navigates the Citibank website (as previously mentioned).

(I apologize for the verbosity of my post, however I needed to leave no-stone-unturned (so to speak) in an attempt to clarify my final question).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-09, 02:18

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2024-03-08, 17:33
Based on these two conclusions (more precisely conclusion #2) my settings in Pale Moon Commander (for these specific settings discussed) are assigning each of the respective boolean values to "false" as a result of the "empty" check box for each of the respective Pale Moon Commander settings.
Correct - the checkbox is a toggle switch - so checked = true, unchecked = false. This applies to all checkboxes in general, not only in this context.
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
Final conclusions of what the differences represent between my Pale Moon Commander and the "Linux" rendering of Pale Moon Commander, which is to say:
1) A blank checkbox (w/out a check) in my case is represented by a red "X" in the case of "Linux".
2) A checkbox with a check in my case is represented by a green check in the case of "Linux".
No, what I showed you is how it looks for me because of my theme and the CuteMenus extension which makes them red and green. Don't take the appearance of my screenshot as the general case for Linux. The checkbox on Linux when using the default theme is looks pretty much the same as on Windows.
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
why are these two settings for you toggled to "true" as opposed to the apparent "default" value of "false" (based on what I have in my about:config) for these two specific settings?
I don't remember exactly, I think I once changed it to get a site to work and it hasn't caused any trouble since then.

I'll have to defer to Moonchild or someone else more experienced - given you haven't touched the WebGL settings and it is enabled by default, I don't see why Citibank is complaining.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-09, 03:27

moonbat wrote:
2024-03-09, 02:18
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
No, what I showed you is how it looks for me because of my theme and the CuteMenus extension which makes them red and green. Don't take the appearance of my screenshot as the general case for Linux. The checkbox on Linux when using the default theme is looks pretty much the same as on Windows.
My incorrect wording derailed my point as to what I was asking (my apologies, I'll reword in a better way as to hopefully provide more clarity in as much as my specific (inappropriate) reference to "Linux" (unnecessarily adding confusion) of which should instead have been simply phrased in regards what your computer renders [as an aside, due to the impact of a theme and additional add-on on your computer that isn't pertinent to the discussion at hand] as opposed to mentioning "Linux" at all.

So back to my "Final conclusions" and query as intended (rephrased to provide more accurate clarity):
Final conclusions of what the differences represent between my Pale Moon Commander and the way your Pale Moon Commander renders the equivalent page in your case, which is to reach the two conclusions as stated by the following two points, in as much as the "why" (as to the reason your computer renders in a different manner) is not germane to my assessment below:
1) A blank checkbox (w/out a check) in the case of my computer is represented by a "red X" in the case of your computer.
2) A checkbox with a check in the case of my computer is represented by a "green check" in the case of your computer.

My query was intended to focus on whether or not I got it right as to the manner in which our two computers render the corresponding "values" (as depicted in the way the two computers render their, same, respective pages). That is, have I accurately depicted what it is that each computer represents that happen to be getting rendered in different ways (due to extraneous software)?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2024-03-09, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-09, 03:28

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2024-03-09, 03:27
That is, have I correctly correlated what it is that each computer represents that happen to be getting displayed in different ways (due to extraneous software)?
Yes, you have :)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-09, 03:32

That was fast, many thanks for the feedback :thumbup: - as to what might happen to be helpful (if at all, in regards to these settings) toward improving the way Citibank performs in Pale Moon remains not in any way clear one way or the other (I only wondered due to the Browser Errors I initially posted, i.e "Error: WebGL: Failed to create WebGL context: WebGL is currently disabled.").

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-09, 04:55

Citibank has been a bete noire for you for a long time as I've seen ;)
Most of your queries are because of it constantly breaking.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2024-03-09, 06:44

In the past the login has been an issue, however more recently (for the past over 1½ years) the login has been working with a couple of different User Overrides (I needed to change mine to the alternate just in the past few days) - so this issue has in general been addressed for quite some time now. The website can be admittedly sluggish on occasion, such as very slow to respond some of the time, otherwise the website functions reasonably well and for the most part can be navigated successfully.

You might notice, I've checked the topic off as "resolved" - so it's not a situation where the site is not functional (i.e. the login works), I've just kind of wondered (based on the Browser Console errors) - if there was any about:config pref settings that might be able to help improve performance a tad more is all.

I'm basically OK with the site in general (have been for the most part for at least the past 19 months) as far as its compatibility with Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
I've been using Citibank (in one form or another) since 1957 - so I've got a very long history with the bank. The bank is going through woeful changes at this time that's admittedly not for the better (as of 4-7-24 the bank is no longer providing interest checking that I've had for decades and will be charging fees for accounts that can be easily avoided however, thankfully). Fees are now charged for all accounts unless customers meet certain criteria to avoid the fees of which I do (in my case monthly scheduled ACH deposits of minimally $250, which is the easiest of the requirements to fulfill, to keep the checking account free as I don't believe in paying for checking accounts). So I'll be sticking with the bank considering how long I have been with them up until now. They've generally provided good policy over the years for their customers albeit are going through a rough period recently thus not so much the case as of this time due to the institutions current penurious approach to management.