forvo.com enters infinite loop Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

forvo.com enters infinite loop

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-01-23, 21:14

The home page of forvo.com remains blank and the status bar shows a continuous loop. The console error produces an infinite sequence of these messages (PM 32.5.2 under Linux)

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 23/01/24 22:05:11
Error: TypeError: Argument 1 of MutationObserver.observe is not an object.
Source File: chrome://pureurl4pm/content/init.js
Line: 258
Timestamp: 23/01/24 22:05:11
Warning: Content Security Policy: Ignoring ‘x-frame-options’ because of ‘frame-ancestors’ directive.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: forvo.com enters infinite loop

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-23, 23:34

the site might not like stripped URLs?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2024-01-24, 07:38

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2024-01-23, 21:14
The home page of forvo.com remains blank and the status bar shows a continuous loop.
No infinite loop, no blank home page. (Pale Moon 32.5.2)
You might check with a fresh profile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-01-25, 21:59

OK, tried with palemoon -p -no-remote on a fresh profile.
This way forvo enters, though slowly (also with chrome it is slow, slower than it used to be with Pale Moon last time I used the site). I still get one single error message and a sequence of identical error messages, after which the site works

Timestamp: 25/01/24 22:46:45
Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=âiâ modifiers=âaccel,alt,shiftâ id=âkey_browserToolboxâ
Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Line: 0
Timestamp: 25/01/24 22:46:56
Warning: Content Security Policy: Ignoring âx-frame-optionsâ because of âframe-ancestorsâ directive.
Now, any idea which of the following addons might be the culprit, and whether it allows disabling per-site ?
ABL 5.0.9 inclusive of IDCAC filter
Classic passwor editor 1.1.2
Cookies exterminator 2.9.10
Dismiss the overlay 1.0/7
Dorando keyconfig 2018.1
Expire history by day 1.2.4
Modify HHPT response 1.3.3.
No squint 2.2.2
Pure URL 3.4
Session Manager 0.8.1.14
In lack of that I'll keep the empty profile in my profile list, and jump manually to that to use forvo (something I do once in a month or so)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-26, 06:37

Pure URL might be the problem - as I said maybe it doesn't like stripped URLs
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-01-26, 10:24

Retried with PureURL disabled and Restart (did it also after the first post) and still get infinite loop of

Timestamp: 26/01/24 11:18:59
Warning: Content Security Policy: Ignoring âx-frame-optionsâ because of âframe-ancestorsâ directive.
Should be something else ...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-26, 11:01

just try bisecting. disable half, see if that solves it, if not, disable half of those again. if it solves it, the culprit is in the other half, rinse and repeat.

It may not like cookies being nuked or consent overlays being dismissed automatically, but it could be any.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-01-26, 12:43

Oh yes .. the good old binary search ...
Unfortunately I tried disabling the last 5 (and I still go the problem) ... and disabling the first 5 (and I still got the problem). So it should be more than one extension, or a combination. I then disabled just pureurl and ABL, which seemed to me more likely to cause the problem, and still got it.

So I guess the simplest thing is to quit, and use a fresh empty profile the few times I'll need forvo. Pity, it used to work in the past.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2024-01-26, 14:39

I have this problem with a fresh profile.

The Error Console shows repeated lines:

Error: None of the “sha512” hashes in the integrity attribute match the content of the subresource.
Source File: https://forvo.com/

Warning: Content Security Policy: Ignoring ‘x-frame-options’ because of ‘frame-ancestors’ directive.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-26, 16:33

I tested and initially it looped then it stopped looping. Seems they are actively changing the production site under our noses XD

In particular I noticed one script being served over http causing a reload. then after 6 or 7 reloads it was suddenly served over https, then 2 loops after it was no longer loaded and the site finished loading.
So i'm not sure what they are doing but it's not consistently serving the same data.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2024-01-26, 18:21

Indeed, they insert a special script into the page, which should report the time zone and immediately reload the page. The problem is that the script does not have time to contact the server due to the page reload. As a result, the server does not know about the user's time zone and inserts the same script again.

<script>
				const getDateNowForTimezone = timezone => {
					const dateNow=new Date();
					try {
						return new Date(dateNow.toLocaleString('en-US', {timeZone: timezone}));
					} catch (error) {
						return false;
					}
				}

const getOffsetTimezone = timezone => {
					const utcDate = getDateNowForTimezone("UTC");
					const tzDate = getDateNowForTimezone(timezone);
					return utcDate && tzDate ? (tzDate - utcDate)/1000 : false;
				}

var resolvedOptions = Intl.DateTimeFormat().resolvedOptions();
				var getOffsetUTC = getOffsetTimezone(resolvedOptions.timeZone);
				var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
				xhr.open('GET', 'ajax-set-offset-timezone.php?timezone='+ resolvedOptions.timeZone + '&offsetUTC=' + getOffsetUTC);
				xhr.send();
				location.reload();

</script>
I tried to refer to the link that the script accesses to report my time zone. After this, the site started working normally.
https://forvo.com/ajax-set-offset-timez ... ffsetUTC=0

However, after restarting the browser I had to do it again.
Last edited by Kris_88 on 2024-01-26, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-26, 18:42

Conclusion: Pale Moon is too fast ;)

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2024-01-26, 18:49

Yeah I thought the same thing... ;)

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-01-26, 19:56

Given this diagnosis would it be worth telling somebody at the site ?

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2024-01-26, 21:07

Probably makes sense...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-26, 21:39

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2024-01-26, 19:56
Given this diagnosis would it be worth telling somebody at the site ?
Yes. This isn't something that can be fixed client-side.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-01-26, 22:04

OK, now I understood the suggestion in this post viewtopic.php?f=70&t=30791#p247925 : issue the forvo/ajax URL (which returns an empty page) AND soon after call the forvo home page ... this way it works. I could save the forvo/ajax URL as a bookmarklet. Actaully I did

However I would not know what to tell in proper technical terms to the site contact (also I am just an occasional user, not a registered one). Maybe a request from Moonchild as "browser author" would be more authoritative ...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-26, 22:15

Or you could just refer them to this topic :)

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-01-27, 11:14

Sent the link.
In the meanwhile I can access easily with the bookmarklet by Kris.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-01-28, 01:41

Pure URL has a log to console feature for exactly such problems; enable the option in the extension's settings, clear the console and reload the page. Intercepted and modified URLs can be seen in the console with a [PureURL:] prefix.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX