Drag-and-drop Bug Fix for Pale Moon

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
JAB Creations
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Drag-and-drop Bug Fix for Pale Moon

Unread post by JAB Creations » 2024-01-03, 09:09

I've been rewriting the support for drag-and-drop on my web platform and... *sigh*, I loathe Gecko bugs the most because there always seems to be that extra fifty pounds of WTAF thrown in just because. 🙄︀

So in all Gecko 70.0 and older versions of Gecko based browsers drag-and-drop will not work unless you select the text of an element. Additionally even if you do so it becomes subjectively spotty. Now some people might test that out and say, "looks like it's working to me!" until you start testing the ondragenter and ondragover event handlers which suddenly no longer fire. Those are exceptionally important for developers to be able to help visualize that dropping is appropriate and in what context.

There was a fix I confirmed in Gecko 71/Firefox 71 where this no longer happens and no special scripting is necessary for Gecko 71.0+ based browsers to work. So if the devs want to get an idea of how the Mozilla devs unscrewed this up that would be the place to look. I would say I've gotten drag-and-drop working 60-90% of the time subjective to how you select an element on the page which is better than 0%. Because it's still very spotty when a page loads with any instances of draggable="true" HTML attributes for Gecko 70.0 and older browsers I will be displaying a modal note so users aren't completely lost as to why drag-and-drop seems broken or buggy.

Since I'm working on an entire web platform and don't know anything about browser based software development I'm at least trying to help out the Pale Moon project by leaving this information here. Hopefully Moonchild or another dev can figure out the needed fix and make the users of Pale Moon a bit more happy. 👍🏻