www.obsessedgarage.com order page causes perma-hang.

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

www.obsessedgarage.com order page causes perma-hang.

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-12-01, 01:09

Links below will likely cause Pale Moon to hang permanently. Do not click unless you are prepared.

I have a custom order at Obsessed Garage which is here:
[redacted obsessedgarage.com tracking URL]

But actually redirects properly to here:
[redacted account.obsessedgarage.com tracking URL]

The page has loaded correctly for me over the past 4-5 days or so since I placed the order, but now that I've upgraded to Pale Moon 32.5.1 (from 32.5.0 I believe) I am experiencing a complete application hang (Edit: unrelated timing, see next post). Ending the process is the only way I can recover. I have eMatrix, uBlockOrigin, and Pure URL installed but have disabled eMatrix on this domain for testing (and still seeing the issue).

I have gotten output from the browser console before the browser hangs, but it is probably not conclusive. See screenshot below.

I'm curious if anyone else can confirm. You should not need an account with this vendor to see the page in question.

This is on Windows 7 (64 bit) with 64-bit Pale Moon 32.5.1. I can try my Linux Mint machine next.
Last edited by BenFenner on 2023-12-01, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: www.obsessedgarage.com order page causes perma-hang.

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-12-01, 01:37

Well, I've tested with Linux Mint now which actually still had Pale Moon 32.5.0 installed. So I checked that version first and it hangs just the same. So it doesn't seem to be a change in Pale Moon after all, and is very likely a recent change in the web site itself. Of course I will report it to them, but a misbehaving site shouldn't cause the entire application to hang forever IMO so I'm still reporting things here.

And for context, this Linux install of Pale Moon doesn't have eMatrix or Pule URL installed at all, just uBlockOrigin as the only installed extension.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-12-01, 01:47

Keep an unmodified empty profile around for testing broken websites and launch it from about:profiles so you don't have to leave your main profile. With mine I confirmed it hangs on 32.5.0, so it's not due to extensions or local settings.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-12-01, 08:16

It's another display:grid issue. Here's a Modify HTTP Response filter to work around it.

Code: Select all

[["cdn.shopify.com",["/vendors.*\\.js/",["/(BlockStack:\".*? ).*? (.*?\")/","$1$2"]]]]

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-12-01, 14:49

Ahh, thanks for the tip. With that info I've been able to read ~6 years worth of history on this situation via forum posts.
Maybe Shopify will ditch their new attempt at CSS Grid layout.
Maybe Pale Moon will get the resources needed to implement it.

I do wonder if there should be a graceful failure in this situation at least from Pale Moon. I wonder what it would take to avoid the full browser hang...

Off-topic:
I'll get back to my own web development work where we are happy to use an HTML table when a table is needed. ;)

Although I will say it is hammered into web devs not to use tables for layout, since the web page won't progressively load. Once an HTML table is encountered, the entire thing must be loaded before any of it displays. So I understand the hesitance. But so many web devs have just forgotten the second half of the "rule" and avoid tables entirely even for actual tables. But of course there is CSS Flexbox...