thestar.com hangs browser

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
kaepha68

thestar.com hangs browser

Unread post by kaepha68 » 2023-10-25, 09:29

Browser version: 32.4.1 (64-bit) for Linux GTK2 (downloaded from the official mirror / no third-party build)

Happens with new profile, no extensions, no changed settings.
To reproduce go to the website and scroll down.
Pale Moon will hang and memory usage will increase rapidly. (So I just kill it before it eats up my memory.)
I can't collect output from error console since browser hangs. Nothing is printed to the stdout/terminal.

Off-topic:
I don't really care for the website itself, but it killed my browsing session and I had a bunch of tabs open, so I am a little annoyed.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: thestar.com hangs browser

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-10-25, 23:19

Broken layout but no crashes or memory hogging on a clean 64bit Linux profile.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

kaepha68

Unread post by kaepha68 » 2023-10-26, 19:13

That's weird. I don't know what to tell you, but it crashes consistently for me on a clean profile. (Just created a new one with the profile manager.)

It doesn't crash when I make the browser window smaller though (mobile view).
It only crashes after scrolling down far enough.

Are there any debugging builds or functions I don't know about for debugging so I can check it myself.

kaepha68

Unread post by kaepha68 » 2023-10-26, 20:17

Nevermind, I did some research myself.

To me this seems likely to be UXP Issue #1808. (but I could be wrong.)

I built version 32.5.0a1 locally without stripping. (Just cloned the git repo and built.)
And checking the debugger when I just stopped it somewhere, it was in nsMutationReceiver::AttributeWillChange because of setting the top padding with CSS.

Is there any estimate of when this will be fixed or what the current state with this issue is?