metager.de search freezing browser Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
BiggusDickus
New to the forum
New to the forum

metager.de search freezing browser

Unread post by BiggusDickus » 2023-05-30, 01:57

Hi!
Since a few days, i cant use metager.de search anymore. Whole browser is freezing while search result page is loading. :wtf:
Tested with 32.2.0 Portablè (Win7 x64), with completely new Profile its still the same.
2023-05-30_033613.png

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: metager.de search freezing browser

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-05-30, 12:37

Mutation Observer problem...

Code: Select all

Observer created at:
@https://metager.de/js/aaresultpage.js?id=52905df81131efcd0ff68ca6e00c3501:1:6990
@https://metager.de/js/aaresultpage.js?id=52905df81131efcd0ff68ca6e00c3501:1:7426
@https://metager.de/js/aaresultpage.js?id=52905df81131efcd0ff68ca6e00c3501:1:7429

Current options:
{"subtree":true,"childList":true,"attributes":true,"attributeOldValue":true}

Current target:
[object HTMLDocument]

Callback function:
function(t,n){for(var r=0;r<t.length;r++){var e=t[r].target;if(e.classList.contains("result")){var o=e.getAttribute("style");null!=o&&"display: block !important;"==o||(e.style="display: block!important");for(var i=e.attributes,u=0;u<i.length;u++){var c=i[u];"class"!=c.name&&"style"!=c.name&&e.attributes.removeNamedItem(c.name)}}}}

EchedeyLR
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by EchedeyLR » 2023-05-30, 17:03

I confirm the issue and I must kill the browser from the task manager.

I am using GNU/Linux Debian build (GTK 2) edition from StevenPusser in the same version as you.

I was unsure if reporting or waiting a bit if other person had the same issue, so I am reporting here.

It also happens in clean profile and with metager.org (the US version).

I think their development team made some change.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-30, 17:43

It's a known catch-22.

Basically it's an error in their scripting. They set a mutation observer (that monitors changes to an element). In the function that is fired when a change occurs, they make a change to the observed element. This causes a mutation callback storm because the function triggers itself over and over.

While of course it's not a good thing to have a DoS as a result, technically speaking it's difficult to catch this situation inside the browser layout code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

EchedeyLR
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by EchedeyLR » 2023-05-30, 18:54

Before, when they have not yet implemented their search keys under a payment, I experienced an issue with their search not working.

Was in fact that the engine they were using for free had a rate limit per IP address (I was using a fixed one back then) and well, they told me about their plans for the future related to that.

In the middle of the conversation, I had a little discussion because they didn't enable the key for testing (but they insisted for a while that was my fault because I didn't use it) and then spoke about their idea of average search.

They had the idea of implementing 300 search queries in a package for the price of 3-4 euros, which in their POV was the average search by each user (not taking into account maybe most would test a bit and then not using it, or something like that) for which I thought that was pretty expensive (I perform likely 100 search queries per day) and they got likely angry insisting in that they were professionals and that the result was accurate.

Now, they implemented 10 euros per 1000 tokens (each search takes 3 tokens) which lets me think they have little interest in the people using their search engine and this change is also part of that.

(Okay, this whole post is quite a mess)

I could report the issue but I fear they may not take it into account.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-05-30, 19:33

The search seems to work with disabled scripts.
You can use adblock and disable for example this script:

Code: Select all

https://metager.de/js/aaresultpage.js?*

BiggusDickus
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by BiggusDickus » 2023-05-30, 21:01

Thank you, that works for now. :thumbup: Replacing MutationObserver class with empty methods (as Userscript for that site) seems also workin, in case some other parts of that script are needed...

@EchedeyLR: Thanks for that info, too. Just didnt find a good alternative :S

But how do other browsers handle this, wouldn't they have infinite recursion then too? :eh:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-30, 21:30

BiggusDickus wrote:
2023-05-30, 21:01
But how do other browsers handle this, wouldn't they have infinite recursion then too? :eh:
They absolutely would, if it wasn't for the fact that they happen to have a (behaviour-changing!) optimization that ignores changes made to the element if the end-result happens to be a "no change" scenario. It's not exactly spec compliant to do that, I think, either, because I don't believe the spec has a special case to "not fire if the net result is the same attributes".
We could potentially implement something similar for browser parity but it's not that simple because of the way observers work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Kand_in_Sky
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kand_in_Sky » 2023-06-07, 16:46

i send a link to this thread to metager and inform them about the issue
they answered, the error is fixed :-)
PaleMoon & Basilisk
- on 2014 i5-4210M Notebook 8GB Win7 64Bit
- on 2014 Athlon 5350 16GB PC Win7 64Bit
- on 2018 Athlon200GE 32GB PC Win10 64Bit

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-07, 16:54

Kand_in_Sky wrote:
2023-06-07, 16:46
i send a link to this thread to metager and inform them about the issue
they answered, the error is fixed :-)
Great news!