My recent ebay.ca issue is not a "bidding" problem (like in the other ebay topic) but a more specific issue.

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

My recent ebay.ca issue is not a "bidding" problem (like in the other ebay topic) but a more specific issue.

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-05-23, 03:50

Web URL: ebay.ca
Tested in Safe-Mode
See pic comparisons:
What happens with Pale Moon (specific URL to issue included in attachment):
Pale Moon<br />Specific URL of webpage that fails to activate button: https://www.ebay.ca/rt/ReturnCreateView?transactionId=2460922009008&amp;itemId=184848570821
Pale Moon
Specific URL of webpage that fails to activate button: https://www.ebay.ca/rt/ReturnCreateView?transactionId=2460922009008&itemId=184848570821
What should happen:
Other browsers
Other browsers

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 5/22/2023 8:27:12 PM
Error: ReferenceError: event is not defined
Source File: https://ir.ebaystatic.com/rs/c/rtn-create-4X8t4dO3.js
Line: 661
I'm not certain this is directly related to the actual issue as there was a small delay before the error displayed. Also, as I recall, this issue has existed prior to the last update (FWIW).

I'm not aware of any other issues (as reported in the other ebay topic) that I've been having other than just this one specific issue.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: My recent ebay.ca issue is not a "bidding" problem (like in the other ebay topic) but a more specific issue.

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-05-23, 04:25

Check if flipping the dom.window.event.enabled pref to true fixes the issue. We've recently gained global window.event support, but disabled by default and should help with sites that use this non-standard IE feature.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: My recent ebay.ca issue is not a "bidding" problem (like in the other ebay topic) but a more specific issue.

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-05-23, 07:21

Yes - toggling the pref to the non-default "true" most certainly did fix the problem. Thanks for the heads-up.... :thumbup: (nice to see this issue can so easily be addressed)

So then at this point the glaring question that remains (since the default for the pref is "false" presumably for a reason) :think: is - what potential issues can toggling this pref to the non-default value of "true" possibly cause?

I would presume there are potential draw-backs to setting the pref to a non-default value - otherwise, if no draw-backs, one would presume that a default setting of "true" would have been the more logical approach obviously (which is not the case).

I'll be leaving the pref set to "true" for the time being (while awaiting a reason why "true" is not the default value for this pref).... and thanks again!
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-05-23, 10:52

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2023-05-23, 07:21
... what potential issues can toggling this pref to the non-default value of "true" possibly cause?
There are a few sites that if they detect the presence of window.event, they expect that the corresponding values for the event.keyCode and event.charCode values will follow legacy IE/Chrome behavior. In our implementation, we chose not to port over the keyCode/charCode hacks since it does introduce a lot of unnecessary complexity for a deprecated, previously IE-only but eventually adopted to the web standards property. Firefox currently maintains a whitelist for sites where these hacks should be applied (see list below, as of writing) which we also don't have.
*.collabserv.com,*.gov.online.office365.us,*.officeapps-df.live.com,*.officeapps.live.com,*.online.office.de,*.partner.officewebapps.cn,*.scniris.com