chase.com bank login will not load page in Pale Moon Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

chase.com bank login will not load page in Pale Moon

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-16, 16:38

login URL: https://secure07b.chase.com/web/auth/dashboard#/dashboard/index/index

Blue page with spinning circle:
chase login fails in PM.png
Tested in Safe-Mode

Error Console

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 4/16/2023 9:28:24 AM
Error: ReferenceError: define is not defined
Source File: https://static.chasecdn.com/web/library/@seur/cxo-ui-common-utilities/12.20.3/common/js/kit/main.js
Line: 1
Timestamp: 4/16/2023 9:28:24 AM
Error: ReferenceError: define is not defined
Source File: https://static.chasecdn.com/web/hash/appkit/js/main_6d82b2ed65d36bc91e417cdce24cc6af.js
Line: 1
Do the errors tell us anything?

Setting Webcomponents to "false" does not help (oddly enough).

The URL works in other browsers.

I'm hoping this is a webcomponents "in limbo issue" (that ironically wasn't broken before the "webcomponents" pref was introduced) and as such will get resolved when webcomponents is further developed. :think: (hmm.... based on this premise however, one would surmise - if the "webcomponents" pref is set to "false" the site should work as before... :idea:)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: chase.com bank login will not load page in Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-16, 17:27

You were missing a bunch of errors further up, the main type being:

Timestamp: 16/04/2023 19:21:45
Error: SyntaxError: missing : after property id
Source File: https://static.chasecdn.com/web/library/@webchan/cxo-host-app/1.9.22/433.1985834d963ed8cc2b4a.js
Line: 1, Column: 2153
Source Code:
var h=s(2207),T=s(5090),W=s(4975),$=s(9127);class j{subject$;constructor(){this.subject$=new T.x}emit(t){this.subject$.n
This is more "C-style class property definitions" (ES2022) which isn't supported at the moment (it's being worked on).
Just more of the never-ending "let's use the latest shinies" and once again they already have a constructor() anyway so there's literally no reason to double-define it outside of the constructor (other than making it incompatible with previously-established standards)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2023-04-16, 21:14

I have not been able to log onto Chase using Pale Moon for quite some time (many months). I just use Firefox for that and it works just fine.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-16, 21:37

There are just certain websites which will focus on using "the latest" instead of "established" technologies. Chase seems to be one of them. While we can try to satisfy as much as we can, "chasing" (pun intended) a moving target for a small number of sites is just not possible for our project - they will, as a result, continue to break. Maybe get fixed... then break again. It's quite possible that by the time we have the class fields implemented, they have moved on to the next "new" thing their web devs feel compelled to shove into the site (whether they need it or not makes little difference if it provides them with on-going job security by always having something to do).

Using a different browser for them that they officially list as "supported" is going to be the least painful/frustrating solution if they show no interest in actually considering their clients/users in their technological implementations.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-17, 00:02

TwoTankAmin wrote:
2023-04-16, 21:14
I have not been able to log onto Chase using Pale Moon for quite some time (many months). I just use Firefox for that and it works just fine.
That's odd - because I've been able to login to Chase for many years. This login issue where the page remains blue (w/ spinning circle) has just started within the past couple of weeks at most (before that no issues in my case). The site does throw a few JS errors from time to time - but I've always been able to login successfully.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

pshipwrite
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by pshipwrite » 2023-04-17, 15:28

I have no problem logging in at the primary Chase Bank website, https://www.chase.com/. I do not know why Pallid Planetoid uses that specific URL. To prevent any potential problems, I update the Chase useragent override to the latest Firefox version when there is a new Pale Moon release. Currently, I have set the Chase Bank useragent override as follows:

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:112.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/112.0

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-17, 17:09

Thanks for the feedback (I had previously tested alternate URL Logins found via searching the Internet as well that all produced the same results :().

Doing the following steps produces the same result in my case.
1) Clearing all Chase Bank website cookies
2) Clearing all browser crash
3) Modifying my UserAgent Override
from Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:105) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/105 to (suggested) Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:112.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/112.0
4) Testing Pale Moon in Safe-Mode
5) Logging in with the suggested alternate login (URL https://www.chase.com/) posted above (in previous post):
Using alternate login page
Using alternate login page
6) Gets the same result using Safe-Mode in Pale Moon:
Same result in Safe-Mode
Same result in Safe-Mode
Why I use the specific login (URL) I had posted -- I prefer the rendering (below) of the URL that has always worked in Pale Moon (until just the past 2 weeks) and still works on all other other browsers that produces this preferred login page (Note: the page below presently fails to load in Pale Moon [instead renders the screen-shot above] that has never had any issues for years prior to just the past couple of weeks):
My login page (URL) preference -- the pages rendered will change with various scenic background pictures (I hate ads btw)
My login page (URL) preference -- the pages rendered will change with various scenic background pictures (I hate ads btw)

pshipwrite
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by pshipwrite » 2023-04-17, 19:50

Pallid Planetoid, thanks for the detailed response. After submitting my post earlier today, I went to the Chase Bank website, tried to login, and experienced the very same problem you describe! Hmmm. I had just successfully logged in to Chase on Friday, April 14th to do a few bank-related tasks. Apparently, the website changes were rolled out to my area within the last few days.

When testing their website changes, I strongly suspect Chase (and most other companies) perform their tests solely with Chromium-based browsers (eg Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera), Apple's Safari, and Mozilla's Firefox. Other browsers are out of luck. It's very frustrating to see how much power and clout the Chromium development team and the Google Chrome folks have in developing de facto browser standards. The Internet Standards organizations (eg IETF, ISOC, IRTF, IAB, W3C) just go along with whatever Google and the Chromium team decides. That's not how the process should work. I wager Google's Chromium-based browsers have more market clout than Microsoft's Internet Explorer did in the 1990's when Microsoft faced antitrust charges due, in part, to the browser wars where Microsoft's Internet Explorer beat Netscape.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2023-04-17, 20:06

Just ran into this issue myself, and it too has always "just worked" when it was last tried a few weeks ago.

One thing that's useful for testing is that the issue seems to occur even if you don't input valid credentials, i.e. you can just type gibberish for the username and password.
Last edited by __NM64__ on 2023-04-17, 20:22, edited 4 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-17, 20:13

At this point, I can't even reach the login page (with the IUD/PWD prompts at all) where I'd expect to enter login information - the Login URL (itself) results in just a blue screen (that displays the never-ending spinning progress indicator).

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2023-04-17, 20:20

I can at least confirm that it's not due to the new version of Pale Moon since a portable copy of v32.0.1 now also runs into the very same issue.

Oh and I forgot to say, I've also previously had the aforementioned javascript "errors" but they were really just timeouts saying "unresponsive script" because the website is so javascript-heavy that my aging Phenom II hardware was hitting Pale Moon's predefined timeout limit which itself could be solved by either using a faster CPU or setting "dom.max_script_run_time" in about:config to a larger value.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-17, 20:27

__NM64__ wrote:
2023-04-17, 20:20
I can at least confirm that it's not due to the new version of Pale Moon since a portable copy of v32.0.1 now also runs into the very same issue.
Thanks for the feedback :thumbup: - important information to know! So it's apparently a Chase Bank issue (any correlation to recent PM updates are presumably coincidental). Interesting because this type of login problem has never happened with Chase in my case the entire time I've been using Pale Moon (for many years).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-17, 20:29

__NM64__ wrote:
2023-04-17, 20:20
... Oh and I forgot to say, I've also previously had the aforementioned javascript "errors" but they were really just timeouts saying "unresponsive script" because the website is so javascript-heavy that my aging Phenom II hardware was hitting Pale Moon's predefined timeout limit which itself could be solved by either using a faster CPU or setting "dom.max_script_run_time" in about:config to a larger value.
Exactly my case as well (occasional "unresponsive script" errors) and I do recall modifying the pref setting you referenced as well to try and mitigate the JS errors....

pshipwrite
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by pshipwrite » 2023-04-17, 21:30

Since I was able to successfully login to the Chase website on Friday, April 14th using PM v32.1.0 (32 bit), but could not login on Monday, April 17th, would indicate the problem is due to a recent website change, not a PM browser version change.

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-04-18, 01:30

It's another (totally unnecessary) class field issue; try this Modify HTTP Response filter:

[["static.chasecdn.com",["/\\/web\\/library\\/.*\\/433\\./",["subject$;",""]]]]

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-18, 03:59

^ :eh:

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-04-18, 05:25

Install the extension, open it up, replace "Filters" with the above code, check "Enable", the login should work.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-04-18, 12:30

IT (code) WORKS!! :clap: -- many thanks :thumbup: .... why?... is way above my pay grade. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-18, 14:03

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2023-04-18, 12:30
why?...
The code rewrites part of the page to exclude a (totally superfluous!) bit of JavaScript that prevents Pale Moon from interpreting the scripting used (which causes the breakage).
Chase could simply not include that bit of scripting and it'd work everywhere and won't change the functionality one bit. but their techies chose to include it anyway.

pshipwrite
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by pshipwrite » 2023-04-18, 21:47

Thanks much, adoxa, for a solution to the Chase Bank login problem! The Modify HTTP Response extension, with the filter code added, works fine. Thanks again!!