Blackwells.co.uk Paypal Payments Broken in Pale Moon

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Dogmatix
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Blackwells.co.uk Paypal Payments Broken in Pale Moon

Unread post by Dogmatix » 2023-03-09, 13:54

The online Book shop blackwells.co.uk has the option to use Paypal checkout (which works fine on other websites in pale Moon in my experience) but when you use it in Pale Moon it is a nightmare experience. The payment window literally starts to shrink as you are trying to confirm payment then asks you to login again with multiple confirmation codes required by phone and it takes multiple tries to actually get the payment to work. I have informed Blackwells of this several times as I'm sure it is probably a fault on their part but I thought I ought to post it here so you were aware of it. Checkout works fine in the latest build of Firefox.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Blackwells.co.uk Paypal Payments Broken in Pale Moon

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-09, 23:43

Why oh why oh why do you people not provide requested troubleshooting information when reporting a broken site when the damn template is right in front of your face? Or are you just providing information?
"Blackwells.co.uk doesn't work."
"It doesn't? Too bad. Have a nice day."

What exactly are we supposed to do with your post now? Play 20 questions with you about pasting javascript console errors in a code block or including your troubleshooting information that already has been shown with instructions if only you had bothered to follow them?
But sure, this is a 'toxic' place according to the subreddit because heaven forbid one gets irritated with people who refuse to follow instructions that are right there in the new post template. :roll:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Dogmatix
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Dogmatix » 2023-03-11, 10:28

I'm well aware of the guidelines, thanks, despite having several degrees I am still able to read and despite having worked as a web developer I understand the need for code.

I had just finished using Blackwells and subsequently thought "That was really frustrating, maybe I should flag it up with the developers so they are aware of it" so I did. I didn't need to purchase anything else further so I had no need to use it and if I wanted to use it just to get the code then maybe a developer would do exactly the same thing as it is their browser they are trying to get you to use?

Whilst it has become the norm on these boards to receive an unhelpful and condescending response I suppose I should have expected that, although considering the tiny market share of Pale Moon and the increasing number of websites that refuse to play with it nicely, I would have thought you might have been trying just a tad harder to get people to stay using it despite it's many failings?

Sadly I'll be switching back to Firefox. I prefer Pale Moon's interface but it fails to work with too many websites now and the "support" forum is typically a fairly unpleasant place to feedback about the increasing number of issues with the browser.

I feel with a web browser if you want people to use it, it has to actually work with enough websites to make it worth their time and you have to be nice to people when they experience problems.

Best of luck anyway.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-03-11, 10:48

Dogmatix wrote:
2023-03-11, 10:28
I'm well aware of the guidelines, thanks
So why haven't you provided the error console output as asked by the red block of text? You have been here since 2021, so you're obviously going to be expected to adhere to the forum rules. We can't try to reproduce the issue ourselves as it involves having an account in that website and making a payment. The red block is there for a reason.
Dogmatix wrote:
I feel with a web browser if you want people to use it, it has to actually work with enough websites to make it worth their time
And we are actually trying to improve our compatibility with websites since day one, and our thread on the 32.1.0 beta is a recent example of us making major breakthrough in web compatibility. But I guess we're just going to ignore that.
Dogmatix wrote:
and you have to be nice to people when they experience problems.
Niceness has a limit. Try volunteering for years in providing support for many users of a free and open-source software, and a majority of the time is spent on users who obviously haven't read the rules or searched the forum before posting. It can get demoralizing quick.

Anyway, best of luck to you too. Hopefully Firefox works best as your tool. Because ultimately that's how I view browsers: tools to be used, not something to be too sentimental about.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-11, 10:56

Dogmatix wrote:
I'm well aware of the guidelines, thanks, despite having several degrees I am still able to read and despite having worked as a web developer I understand the need for code
And still you don't bother to follow instructions, which makes one wonder what use all your degrees and web dev experience are.
Dogmatix wrote:
I had just finished using Blackwells and subsequently thought "That was really frustrating, maybe I should flag it up with the developers so they are aware of it" so I did.
Which developers? If you want to vent, go ask the website developers why they worship Chrome and implement every shiny new bullshit that it introduces instead of actually sticking to published standards.
Your Blackwells as it is is an online store that presumably needs one to login, all the more reason to actually look at console errors if any since the chances of someone else having an account to try on this not exactly well known site are slim.
Dogmatix wrote:
Whilst it has become the norm on these boards to receive an unhelpful and condescending response
No, it absolutely has not. Learn from the dozens of others who properly submit troubleshooting info without necessarily having multiple degrees and immediately get a response, either a workaround or notice of an as yet unimplemented feature.
Dogmatix wrote:
the "support" forum is typically a fairly unpleasant place to feedback
What feedback? How constructive is just 'this website doesn't work', full stop? You think it's news to the devs that there are websites that don't work with the browser? If you're not interested in helping us help you stop wasting our time and yours and go with the rest of the masses to a Chromezilla browser.
Dogmatix wrote:
I feel with a web browser if you want people to use it, it has to actually work with enough websites to make it worth their time and you have to be nice to people when they experience problems.
Why on earth did you even start using Pale Moon with that kind of ignorant attitude if all you care about is 'working well with enough websites''? Go be happy with Chromezilla since you're the perfect demographic for those browsers. Enjoy the super helpful so called support offered by Firefox and Chrome instead, I hear they really pay attention to users' suggestions and bug reports.
jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-03-11, 10:48
Niceness has a limit. Try volunteering for years in providing support for many users of a free and open-source software, and a majority of the time is spent on users who obviously haven't read the rules or searched the forum before posting. It can get demoralizing quick.
Nailed it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

JonErik420

Unread post by JonErik420 » 2023-03-26, 10:08

I have same issues with Blackwells checkout. My immediate workaround was to use Microsoft Edge for Linux.

But this info might help to identify problem

Software in use:
Operating system:GNU/Linux PCLinuxOS MATE Desktop Environment
Browser version:32.1.0 (64bit) GTK3 (loaded from PCLinuxOS repository.)
32-bit or 64-bit?:64
Problem URL:https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/checkout
Theme:default 32.1.0
Installed add-ons:Adblock Latitude (v5.0.9),
Classic Password Editor (v1.1.2),
CLEO (v10.0) ,
Crush Those Cookies (v1.4.0) ,
FEBE (v10.4) ,
GetEmAll! (v1.2) ,
Grabit (v32.0) ,
Image Search Options (v2.0.3.7) ,
Show My Password (v2.0.4)

Installed plugins: (about:plugins) No installed plugins found

Hardware : Dell XPS 8300 tower unit.
Processor Intel i5-2500, 16 Gb Ram, using IGP Intel® HD Graphics 2000 not original nVidia Graphics card (now dead/removed)

Error Console
Timestamp: 03/26/2023 10:36:15 AM
Error: Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at self (“script-src 'nonce-zJOmNLQBhRUHKTxmtl/pcuZKR0TC+pFn86sMZd5i+DDoYx0s' https://www.paypal.com https://*.paypal.com https://*.paypal.cn https://*.paypalobjects.com https://objects.paypal.cn https://www.recaptcha.net https://www.gstatic.com https://*.synchronycredit.com https://synchronycredit.com 'unsafe-inline'”). Source: onclick attribute on A element.
Source File: https://www.paypal.com/checkoutnow?loca ... omponent=1
Line: 0
Source Code:
onclick attribute on A element

Hope this helps.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-26, 13:34

just to rule out the CSP error, can you try setting "security.csp.enable" to "false" in about:config and see if that helps? If it does, there's something wrong with their content security policy they should be notified of.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JonErik420

Unread post by JonErik420 » 2023-03-26, 14:09

Ok. I did that.
Luckily, I'm wanting to get yet another book..
No changes, after the paypal login pop-up came up and I logged in, the subwindow shrank, leaving a black overlay of all of the Pale Moon with a close window x. When I closed the overlay, Blackwells invited me to use a different payment method.
I think I'll use Amazon which doesn't give me this irritation.

error console:
Timestamp: 03/26/2023 03:07:10 PM
Error: XML Parsing Error: no root element found
Location: https://client-analytics.braintreegatew ... svmzscgmjz
Line Number 1, Column 1:
Source File: https://client-analytics.braintreegatew ... svmzscgmjz
Line: 1

Timestamp: 03/26/2023 03:07:12 PM
Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.
Source File: https://www.paypalobjects.com/api/checkout.min.js
Line: 2

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-26, 15:12

It was a long shot anyway. Thanks for trying!

Unfortunately there's not much we can do without purchasing books to try and troubleshoot this and... I don't really see that happening anytime soon.

Remember to switch CSP back on -- it's an essential security measure against cross-site scripting attacks.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JonErik420

Unread post by JonErik420 » 2023-03-26, 15:20

Have done so.
Off Topic, but for your info
If I enable "canvas poisoning" as in your release notes, Google only allows access to Gmail Webmail in basic HTML. And some account settings options are also missing.
This takes me back to using Gmail in the days of Wiondows XP. So I think I'll load up a proper mail program and use IMAP.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-26, 16:45

JonErik420 wrote:
2023-03-26, 15:20
If I enable "canvas poisoning" as in your release notes, Google only allows access to Gmail Webmail in basic HTML.
Curious! That means they are sneakily fingerprinting your browser and denying you service based on how detailed they can track you. That's pretty bad. I wonder if their terms and conditions actually make note of this.
JonErik420 wrote:
So I think I'll load up a proper mail program and use IMAP.
Personally if that was the case for me, I'd probably find a different mail provider instead. But, you do you!

JonErik420

Unread post by JonErik420 » 2023-03-26, 18:30

I have e-mail from different providers, but gmail has been convenient for shopping sites. I haven't prioritised privacy until recently. I'll look at getting another provider and change my login to Pale moon sites. Would even pay a subsciption service to get more privacy.
Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-27, 18:41

JonErik420 wrote:
If I enable "canvas poisoning" as in your release notes, Google only allows access to Gmail Webmail in basic HTML.
As it turns out that was a red herring (thankfully!) -- the issue was using "native" for user agent, not canvas poisoning.