Stashcat (Messenger-Software), Emoji render problems, @PM-Update 31.4->32

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
AndieM
Moongazer
Moongazer

Stashcat (Messenger-Software), Emoji render problems, @PM-Update 31.4->32

Unread post by AndieM » 2023-01-30, 18:57

Hi,
I'm not sure, if the problem is related to Web-Compat or some kind of Browser-Bug:

I'm a user of the Messenger(-Service) Stashcat. (closed & paid service for organizations, so no url possible :-/ )

With the Update from Version 31.4.2 to 32 the replacement of Emojis from Text to svg-icons stopped working (Website-Feature) for most of the Icons. So at the moment I only get tofu for most of the icons. (I deleted the Twenmoji-Font intentional.)

If I use a separate Portable (Version 32, with installed Font) many emoji are chosen form the Twenmoji-Font (the facepalm emoji in the attachment) and I get some strange results. Afaict the script also did some codepoint or glyph combination for some emojis in it's replacement.

> relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console:
Well, none :-(
I diffed the output from a fresh Pale Moon Portable 31.4.2 and my installed version 32: Same (only one blob-url-UUID-Diffs in a CSP-warning.)
Portable 31.4.2 vs. Portable 32: Same, no Messages.

Some screenshots as attachment, to hopefully get a better idea what I mean.

The imho desired behavior is the 31.4.2. state.

Any ideas how to get the 31.4.2 behavior back? (Well, without staying at 31.4.2 ;-))
(Sorry for the a bit confused description, I'm limited in my English writing skills and atm I have no idea where the problem is located...)
Attachments
TablePicture.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Stashcat (Messenger-Software), Emoji render problems, @PM-Update 31.4->32

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-30, 19:24

I'm not sure what the issue is there. 🤦‍♂️ combines just fine in 32.0.0 (I'm using right here).
Do note that just deleting the font isn't something you should do. Instead you should adjust the preference font.name-list.emoji to point to the emoji fonts you want to use. If you keep the twemoji mozilla font listed there while physically deleted, it of course breaks.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

AndieM
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Emoji render problem, TwemojiMozilla still used?

Unread post by AndieM » 2023-05-29, 14:34

I hope replying here is ok, as it's related to your advice. (If not, move if you wish.)

(Win64, installed PM 32.2.0, New Profile, only 2 via system folder installed but disabled Addons)
After the Update to PM 32.2, I realized that my system doesn't behave as you advised/described:

- I changed font.name-list.emoji to "n.a."
- restart the Browser
- goto e.g. https://xorvoid.com/sectorc.html (screenshot from: "Big Insight #2")

Result: Shows rendered Emoji-Glyph(s) (Picture 1, apparently with Twemoji-Font)

Expected: As seen in Picture 2 - I don't have installed a font named "n.a."
Attachments
32.2.0 new profile
32.2.0 new profile
Emoij32.2.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 287 times
expected (screenshot before update)
expected (screenshot before update)
noEmoij.png (1.76 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Last edited by AndieM on 2023-05-29, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

AndieM
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by AndieM » 2023-05-29, 14:38

PS: I kind of abandoned the opening problem, as it looks quite complicated and therefore time-consuming (for you and me) to catch it. And I can use a workaround, until a larger change in my setup will solve this problem anyways.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-29, 14:40

AndieM wrote:
2023-05-29, 14:34
Result: Shows rendered Emoji-Glyph(s) (Picture 1)

Expected: As seen in Picture 2 - I don't have installed a font named "n.a."
Your expectation is wrong.

If not using a specified emoji font, it will fall back to what your system supplies for emoji. if your system fonts supply emoji then those will be used prior to falling back to the last-ditch solution of rendering boxes. In addition, a website may be supplying their own emoji fonts too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

AndieM
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by AndieM » 2023-05-29, 14:54

Afaict it's no system font and no website-deliverd font:
I just deletedmoved the TwemojiMozilla.ttf out of the PM-fonts-Folder and now at (another) clean profile the box is rendered.
Attachments
xorvid_noEmoji32.2.png
xorvid_noEmoji32.2.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 274 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-29, 15:59

Internally it's loaded as a system font, by the looks of it. So that means if it's available it will be loaded. The pref allows you to enter additional fonts in a list you may prefer. I don't off-hand recall why that decision was made to do so but I'm sure there was some logic behind it that made more sites work.
Not that I understand the reason why you'd purposefully want to cripple emoji display to something useless, but eh. :eh:

AndieM
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by AndieM » 2023-05-29, 16:54

Thanks for the explanation.
So for my "extra special" setup it sounds like removing the font file is the way to get there. :shifty:

Regarding "why purposefully cripple": In the end, personal opinion. - How "my" browser should render websites for me. :-)
E.g. (Symptomatic) The controversy around the pistol emoji.
Another: The xorvoid site is imho a good example that these glyphs icons distracts the reading flow.

(Noto Emoji as a monochrome emoji font would address some of my concerns, maybe I will use it in the future.)