Internet Archive search renders blank, grey page Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Internet Archive search renders blank, grey page

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-21, 03:42

A test search, whether I use a search plug-in or the search bar in the upper right on the Wayback Machine’s page, renders a light grey blank. While loading the site, I see some loading requests that have to do with ‘polyfill’, leading me to believe that this has been a site regression. The error console is blank.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Internet Archive search renders blank, grey page

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-01-21, 03:58

Works great, see that you're not blocking cookies or scripts from archive.org subdomains.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-21, 15:03

The problem persists as described if I enable cookies and disable µBlock. Even if I attempt to use the scriptless version of the site, I am redirected to a search page without any results.
Last edited by Mæstro on 2023-01-21, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-21, 15:09

Try hard-refreshing after you've made those changes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-21, 15:15

Results remain as described. If I try to use the scriptless search, whatever query I give, I am redirected to the original page, as though the request were not made at all. If I insert a test query into the address, I am still sent to the first link. Further testing has revealed that the glitch occurs also if I enter safe mode and try to access the page, but it does not occur for a new profile.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Enabling WebComponents causes Archive.org’s search to fail

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-28, 05:14

On some experimenting, I could discover that my original problem (see above) occurs even in Safe Mode, and moreover how to induce it in a new profile. (I am relieved to have found this, for I had begun to suspect that I were suffering some odd profile corruption.) In a new profile, toggle dom.webcomponents.enabled and attempt to visit an Archive search. This, at least, identifies the problem I face. Should I then disable JavaScript (using javascript.enabled, not an addon) in the new profile, I am redirected to the light version, which still renders as a blank. Curiously, if scripts are disabled, but WebComponents are enabled, the light page (to which the normal one redirects automatically) still renders as a blank. With both settings named returned their defaults, both full and light versions work normally, without any cookies being placed.

Disabling WebComponents, which I know to be a work in progress, would not work for me unless there is some way to control on which sites it is enabled or not: Pixiv Fanbox, which I visit often, needs WebComponents enabled to work, but works well with it. Is there some user agent override I should use for the Internet Archive for it to give me a Component-free version?

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-01-28, 05:34

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2023-01-28, 05:14
Disabling WebComponents, which I know to be a work in progress, would not work for me unless there is some way to control on which sites it is enabled or not: Pixiv Fanbox, which I visit often, needs WebComponents enabled to work, but works well with it.
You may want to read through page 2 of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28107&hilit=Webcomp ... n&start=20

Not only did someone create an extension in that thread to toggle web components on and off on a page, but also there's a report that pixiv fanbox now works well with the palefill extension.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-28, 16:08

Installing the new Palefill (v1·26) and disabling WebComponents seems to work! Even after restarting, Fanbox appears to render as it ought. The Archive’s search is working again with my ordinary settings, that is, with scripts active. Everything is back to normal. :relaxed:
Palefill even cures some additional problems on Pixiv proper I had reported months ago. The search bar works again, and it no longer renders with that awkward CSS tag in the right. :D
Thank you!

※The Archive’s search fails if one disables scripts, but this deserves its own thread, for this discovery had only come while diagnosing my original problem, which has been solved.