Discourse forums no longer allowing me to log in Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Discourse forums no longer allowing me to log in

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-02-12, 19:32

nero355 wrote:
2023-02-12, 14:20
- What should we do in general when we encounter a website that has some kind of issue with Pale Moon ??
Send them an e-mail telling them their software does not work with Pale Moon.
When they reply with something about "modern browsers", "modern standards", "supported features" or whatever, call them a brigade of incomptetent monkeys.
They're never going to do anything about being compatible with more than Chrome, so might as well be honest with them.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-02-13, 04:04

nero355 wrote:
I just clicked on a link to a forum that uses Discourse and had the same issue as the TS did so I thought let's go the Pi-Hole Forum since that has always worked without any issue and yep... same issue! :x
For now, you ought to try altering the Modify HTTP Response filter workaround to address the particular forum that you want to access. See this post.

So, for example, try

Code: Select all

[["/global\\.discourse-cdn\\.com|community\\.freedom\\.nl/",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["t.discourse.hoisted??={}","t.discourse.hoisted??(t.discourse.hoisted={})","n??=[]","n||(n=[])","t[e]??=[]","t[e]??(t[e]=[])","r||={}","r||(r={})"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","n||={}","n||(n={})","f[e]??=[]","f[e]??(f[e]=[])","t.__registry__._typeInjections.service??=[]","t.__registry__._typeInjections.service??(t.__registry__._typeInjections.service=[])","e??={}","e??(e={})"]]]]
and see whether it works or not for the first site that you mentioned in your post.
nero355 wrote:
Should we as the users of Pale Moon e-mail Discourse about this and complain ?
There is little point in doing that, particularly given the statement quoted from their official website in a post earlier in the thread. I can also personally attest that someone who has contact with Discourse told me some weeks ago that they would communicate with them about this issue (not mentioning to Discourse that a workaround has been developed, of course). That person said that if there were a positive response from Discourse addressing the issue or otherwise giving helpful advice, they would let me know. I assure you that that person meant that when they said it.

If Discourse has responded, their response hasn't contained anything within it that warranted the person enquiring to inform me. So it can be presumed that they either did not respond, or had nothing good to say when they did.

They do not want to be browser agnostic. From their own statements, they have essentially made clear that they have no interest in that.

Now, of course, even if they don't want to be browser agnostic in the way that the forum software is coded, that doesn't necessitate them locking out browsers. It is not as if they are endangered by, for instance, Pale Moon users or Basilisk users accessing Discourse forums. And if locking out non-whitelisted browsers were intended to be some sort of catch-all safety measure, I'd have thought that they would've chosen to word their lock-out banner differently than they did. As noted in the original post, all that the banner says is: "Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply."

I would bet you that the reason that they do it is to demonstrate their contemporary Net philosophy bona fides. They say that they are "designed for the next 10 years of the Internet," and it is apparently their judgement that any browser that is not on their personal whitelist has no rightful place on either today's Internet or tomorrow's Internet.

To the extent that the Discourse development group knows about Pale Moon users, and has any opinion on us, my suspicion is that they probably consider us to be unjustified diehards who need to get it through our thick skulls that Chrome is king, and that's the way it's going to be, and that we need to give up and just embrace Chrome or a Chrome-like browser.

If we refuse to accept that (and, obviously, we refuse to accept that) then they don't want us near their product, and make no bones about playing gatekeeper in order to keep us out.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2023-02-15, 22:15

NVIDIA developers forum is broken again... :crazy:

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-02-16, 01:04

Needed an update and added discourse.pi-hole.net & community.freedom.nl. Could perhaps simplify hosts to /discourse|community|forum/.

[["/global\\.discourse-cdn\\.com|b2discourse\\.pi-hole\\.net|community\\.(frontrowcrew|cartalk|bitwarden)\\.com|community\\.freedom\\.nl|forum\\.(manjaro|openwrt)\\.org|forum\\.italia\\.it/",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["/(t\\.discourse\\.hoisted|t\\[e\\]|r)(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\{\\}|\\[\\])/g","$1$2($1=$3)","n??=[]","n||(n=[])"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","/(t\\.__registry__\\._typeInjections\\.service|[ne]|[fm]\\[e\\])(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\[\\]|\\{\\})/g","$1$2($1=$3)","(s||=","!s&&(s="]]]]

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2023-02-16, 09:31

adoxa wrote:
2023-02-16, 01:04
Needed an update and added discourse.pi-hole.net & community.freedom.nl.
It works perfectly, thank you ! :thumbup:
Now, if Discourse could stop nagging us with their sh*tty browser "requirements"... :evil:

Bfef1972

Unread post by Bfef1972 » 2023-02-16, 10:24

Hello, I too am experiencing the "discord problem" and I'm glad to see a work around has been posted in this thread.

However, as a total noob I'm at a loss as to what to do with the code that has been posted.

I downloaded the stuff on the Modify HTTP Response link but it wouldn't load as an addon at which point I got stuck.

I know it's not good form to ask but could someone please give me some basic "how-tos" about what to do please?

Many thanks for any reply.

(PS: Using Palemoon 32.0.0 64bit on Windows 10 10.0.19043.2364)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-16, 11:26

Bfef1972 wrote:
2023-02-16, 10:24
I too am experiencing the "discord problem"
Important note: Discord is not Discourse. If your request is about Discord, please make a new topic.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bfef1972

Unread post by Bfef1972 » 2023-02-16, 11:47

Apologies that was a typo, of course I meant "discourse".
Thank you.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-02-16, 16:27

Bfef1972 wrote:
2023-02-16, 10:24
However, as a total noob I'm at a loss as to what to do with the code that has been posted.

[...]

I know it's not good form to ask but could someone please give me some basic "how-tos" about what to do please?
What you are going to need to do is to download the Modify HTTP Response add-on.

(Pale Moon ought to prompt you about installation as soon as you click on that link.)

After you install the add-on, you will need to input a filter. The filter is website specific; there is no universal workaround per se.

Therefore, it needs to be adjusted in order to function for the particular forum that you wish to access.

If one wished to access the forum which was provided as an example in the original post, for instance, one would need to use this filter:

[["/global\\.discourse-cdn\\.com|discourse\\.psychopy\\.org/",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["/(t\\.discourse\\.hoisted|t\\[e\\]|r)(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\{\\}|\\[\\])/g","$1$2($1=$3)","n??=[]","n||(n=[])"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","/(t\\.__registry__\\._typeInjections\\.service|[ne]|[fm]\\[e\\])(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\[\\]|\\{\\})/g","$1$2($1=$3)","(s||=","!s&&(s="]]]]
If one wished to access the Manjaro forum, one would need to use this filter:

[["/global\\.discourse-cdn\\.com|forum\\.manjaro\\.org/",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["/(t\\.discourse\\.hoisted|t\\[e\\]|r)(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\{\\}|\\[\\])/g","$1$2($1=$3)","n??=[]","n||(n=[])"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","/(t\\.__registry__\\._typeInjections\\.service|[ne]|[fm]\\[e\\])(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\[\\]|\\{\\})/g","$1$2($1=$3)","(s||=","!s&&(s="]]]]
The part of the filter that you need to change is at the beginning. So, in place of discourse\\.psychopy\\.org (for https://discourse.psychopy.org/) or forum\\.manjaro\\.org (for https://forum.manjaro.org), adjust the host to match the forum that you are trying to access.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Bfef1972

Unread post by Bfef1972 » 2023-02-16, 22:31

Thank you so much Tharthan, thanks to your instructions I have got it working!
I am so grateful, thanks again. Bfef :D

nero355
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by nero355 » 2023-02-17, 15:45

vannilla wrote:
2023-02-12, 19:32
Send them an e-mail telling them their software does not work with Pale Moon.
When they reply with something about "modern browsers", "modern standards", "supported features" or whatever, call them a brigade of incomptetent monkeys.
They're never going to do anything about being compatible with more than Chrome, so might as well be honest with them.
I don't get the Chrome part of every reply about this : Firefox is mentioned too ?!

The rest being Chromium variants is ofcourse a known fact...
Tharthan wrote:
2023-02-13, 04:04
For now, you ought to try altering the Modify HTTP Response filter workaround to address the particular forum that you want to access. See this post.

So, for example, try

[["/global\\.discourse-cdn\\.com|community\\.freedom\\.nl/",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["t.discourse.hoisted??={}","t.discourse.hoisted??(t.discourse.hoisted={})","n??=[]","n||(n=[])","t[e]??=[]","t[e]??(t[e]=[])","r||={}","r||(r={})"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","n||={}","n||(n={})","f[e]??=[]","f[e]??(f[e]=[])","t.__registry__._typeInjections.service??=[]","t.__registry__._typeInjections.service??(t.__registry__._typeInjections.service=[])","e??={}","e??(e={})"]]]]
and see whether it works or not for the first site that you mentioned in your post.
That is a good solution for my Profile which has a lot of add-ons active, but for my Clean Profile which I actually use to login at some websites that is not an option :)
To the extent that the Discourse development group knows about Pale Moon users, and has any opinion on us, my suspicion is that they probably consider us to be unjustified diehards who need to get it through our thick skulls that Chrome is king, and that's the way it's going to be, and that we need to give up and just embrace Chrome or a Chrome-like browser.
Again : Why focus on Chrome/Chromium variants ?!
Firefox is mentioned too! ;)

I think this is simply another example of how awfull the webdevelopment standards are or have become over the last 20 to 25 years or so...
Basically the same crap we had back in the Netscape/Mozilla vs. Internet Explorer days, but now it's "Internet Explorer 6.0 v2" a.k.a. everything that is Chromium based! :(

(Yes, I am old enough but not too old to still remember those days! :mrgreen: )

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-02-17, 16:33

nero355 wrote:
2023-02-17, 15:45
I don't get the Chrome part of every reply about this : Firefox is mentioned too ?!
For the past few years (I personally don't remember the exact period of time, someone here probably knows) Firefox is nothing more than a scapegoat for Google to avoid anti-monopoly legal actions.
Except for a few things pertaining mostly to browser-internal stuff (e.g. extensions), all Firefox does is blindly implement the same features as Chrome shortly after Google makes them available on their browser.

It doesn't matter if a certain feature makes the web less open (e.g. Shadow DOM), if it impacts privacy or if it doesn't even belong in a web browser (e.g. the API to monitor battery life), Firefox will implement it citing "web compatibility with usage in the wild".

As such, Firefox is assimilated into the "Chrome-sameism" as it is merely Chrome with a different codebase.

nero355
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by nero355 » 2023-02-18, 16:38

vannilla wrote:
2023-02-17, 16:33
As such, Firefox is assimilated into the "Chrome-sameism" as it is merely Chrome with a different codebase.
Well... sadly... it's still my backup browser in case something doesn't work when I use Pale Moon although I dislike Firefox more and more as the years pass... :(

I guess it's something we will have to learn to live with as longs as things are the way they are ?!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-02-19, 00:32

vannilla wrote:
2023-02-17, 16:33
I personally don't remember the exact period of time
It goes back to version 4 in 2011 - after this they removed the status bar (followed by removing many more useful features over the years while adding third party bloat like Pocket), switched to rapid versioning and brought in the hamburger menu.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2023-02-22, 00:21

I'm having a new issue with the 32.0.1 upgrade: The scroll bar for posts no longer appears.
scroll.jpg

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-02-22, 00:36

Daikun wrote:
2023-02-22, 00:21
I'm having a new issue with the 32.0.1 upgrade: The scroll bar for posts no longer appears.
See if it comes back in a day or so.

I had an issue a couple of days ago in which the visibility of large portions of the forum was gone; parts of the forum were just blank. (I could still read threads, mind you.)

Then, I had an issue in which the reply button appeared, but when I clicked on it the reply window didn't actually appear, just blank space (this is a distinct, separate thing from the other reply button issue mentioned earlier in the thread).

Both of those issues have resolved themselves as of today.

So I would check to see if the scroll bar issue that you are experiencing fixes itself within a day or two.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-03-10, 11:59

https://devforum.zoom.us/

I added: |devforum\\.zoom\\.us/|

...but it seems to only partially work. I can now access it (it was simply blank before) but there's still a warning message:
wrote:Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply.

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-03-10, 14:16

This worked fine for me as is.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-03-12, 23:00

Its ironic that discourse links have the browsehappy.com website name and not something more accurate like:

eatspywareandsuckit.com

That would be more appropriate, but you know corporations, they never ever like to tell the truth, so it is what it is.

:shifty:

Aka, their idea of browsing happy means using a modern web browser which will be easier to be spied on by.

Point being, I don't trust discourse at all.

I have had the same problem tho, I hope someone is working on the palemoon webcomponents addon. Sometimes it fixes the issue with discourse.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2023-03-14, 06:50

frostknight wrote:
2023-03-12, 23:00
Its ironic that discourse links have the browsehappy.com website name and not something more accurate like:

eatspywareandsuckit.com

Point being, I don't trust discourse at all.
Interestingly, Browse Happy was a website developed by the Web Standards Project in 2004 to urge users to stop using Internet Explorer.
IE is now dead, so the website is no longer needed today. The Web Standards Project itself was even dissolved a decade ago and Browse Happy is now maintained by WordPress.
I wish someone would get in contact with whatever bozo is running that site and convince them that PM is up to date with current web standards.