Discourse forums no longer allowing me to log in Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Discourse forums no longer allowing me to log in

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-03-15, 02:04

As of today, the workaround appears to once again no longer be functional.
Last edited by Tharthan on 2023-03-15, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-03-15, 05:30

Code: Select all

[["/discourse|^community\\.|^forum\\./",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["/(t\\.discourse\\.hoisted|t\\[e\\]|r)(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\{\\}|\\[\\])/g","$1$2($1=$3)","n??=[]","n||(n=[])"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","/(t\\.__registry__\\._typeInjections\\.service|[ne]|[fm]\\[e\\])(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\[\\]|\\{\\})/g","$1$2($1=$3)","(s||=","!s&&(s=","this._details??=this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}","this._details=this._details??this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}"]]]]

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-03-15, 13:50

Thanks, adoxa!

Wow, so this new one is a universal workaround?

I just tested it with a few different Discourse forums, and it worked with all of them.

That's great!
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-03-15, 15:30

Tharthan wrote:
2023-03-15, 13:50
...so this new one is a universal workaround? I just tested it with a few different Discourse forums, and it worked with all of them.
Probably not, since it doesn't work in any of my previously posted websites. Unless we're supposed to enter/add specific websites, as before? Didn't check.

The old code doesn't work, either.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-03-15, 23:09

back2themoon wrote:
2023-03-15, 15:30
Probably not, since it doesn't work in any of my previously posted websites.
That's odd. As I said, for me, adoxa's new workaround worked—unaltered in any way from how he posted it—even for some forums that haven't been brought up in this thread.

I just checked a moment ago to make sure that that was still the case, and indeed, it is.

I wonder why it's not working for you, back2themoon. Could it be that some Discourse forums somehow use a slightly different version of Discourse?

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-03-16, 00:14

Tharthan wrote:
2023-03-15, 13:50
Wow, so this new one is a universal workaround?
Sort of. It should work with any site containing "discourse", or starting with "community." or "forum.", which I think covers all that were posted (I only tested with psychopy and frontrow, though). However, it still only does specific replacements, so version updates may still break.

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-03-16, 09:38

They all worked for me (on Basilisk) except for the last; adding |resource\.dopus\.com to the host got it working, too.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-03-16, 09:50

Perhaps it's Basilisk that makes the difference? None of these work here on Pale Moon.

I added dopus with no success (assuming I did it correctly, see below)

[["/discourse|^community\\.|resource\.dopus\.com|^forum\\./",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["/(t\\.discourse\\.hoisted|t\\[e\\]|r)(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\{\\}|\\[\\])/g","$1$2($1=$3)","n??=[]","n||(n=[])"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","/(t\\.__registry__\\._typeInjections\\.service|[ne]|[fm]\\[e\\])(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\[\\]|\\{\\})/g","$1$2($1=$3)","(s||=","!s&&(s=","this._details??=this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}","this._details=this._details??this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}"]]]]

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-03-16, 13:31

back2themoon wrote:
2023-03-16, 09:50
assuming I did it correctly
Try this:

[["/discourse|^community\\.|^resource\\.|^forum\\./",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["/(t\\.discourse\\.hoisted|t\\[e\\]|r)(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\{\\}|\\[\\])/g","$1$2($1=$3)","n??=[]","n||(n=[])"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","/(t\\.__registry__\\._typeInjections\\.service|[ne]|[fm]\\[e\\])(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\[\\]|\\{\\})/g","$1$2($1=$3)","(s||=","!s&&(s=","this._details??=this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}","this._details=this._details??this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}"]]]]
I just tested it myself.

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-03-16, 14:12

back2themoon wrote:
Perhaps it's Basilisk that makes the difference? None of these work here on Pale Moon.
Let's check the obvious, is it enabled? When you edit the filter directly it must be explicitly re-enabled.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-03-16, 14:35

adoxa wrote:
2023-03-16, 14:12
back2themoon wrote:
Let's check the obvious, is it enabled?
Sorry, I'm an idiot and missed that. Guess nothing is obvious... Now that it's enabled, 3 out of 4 work perfectly as-is.

As for resource.dopus.com, my own modification doesn't work (syntax error) but Tharthan's does, so it's all good.

Thank you both, and sorry for the time-waste.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-03-16, 22:32

Daikun wrote:
2023-03-14, 06:50
frostknight wrote:
2023-03-12, 23:00
Its ironic that discourse links have the browsehappy.com website name and not something more accurate like:

eatspywareandsuckit.com

Point being, I don't trust discourse at all.
Interestingly, Browse Happy was a website developed by the Web Standards Project in 2004 to urge users to stop using Internet Explorer.
IE is now dead, so the website is no longer needed today. The Web Standards Project itself was even dissolved a decade ago and Browse Happy is now maintained by WordPress.
I wish someone would get in contact with whatever bozo is running that site and convince them that PM is up to date with current web standards.
Well, whoever owns it, is basically saying, you need to have very weak privacy and a very bloated system to browse our website or websites with our software.

Which to me is like for some what the middle finger is when someone gives it to them.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-03-17, 16:11

I wanted to wait a while before I reported this, in order to make sure that that which I am about to mention wasn't some transitory thing (like the other blips and bugs brought up by a number of users earlier in the thread were).

However, this has persisted now since the fifteenth of the month, so I feel that it is reasonable to report it.

After logging into a Discourse forum, I am able to do almost everything that I was able to do prior to when these recent Discourse compatibility problems first arose. For instance: adjust my account settings, view all threads from all forums, and give my approval to a post that I might agree with (by clicking the "heart" button at the bottom right of the post).

However, from the time since the most recent workaround was devised, I have been unable to reply to threads or start any new threads.

The edit window comes up, and everything within it is there. One can type up one's post.

But if one tries to actually hit the reply button, or hit the button to create a new thread, absolutely nothing happens.

The only way that I have been able to post anything to a Discourse forum over the past couple of days has been through e-mail (Discourse has a feature in which one can—assuming that the particular forum allows it and assuming that one's own account settings are set correctly—reply to a thread through e-mail. And sometimes, depending upon the forum and the board's particular settings, one might be able to create a thread through e-mail. However, the forum administrator has to have specifically set a particular board to allow for threads to be created by e-mail message). Even with that, though, once whatever is posted is posted, I am unable to edit it for the same reason why I am unable to reply from within the website or create any new threads.

Can anyone else confirm the existence of this bug?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-03-17, 18:39

I confirm the "cannot post reply" issue.

This appears in the Error Console each time "Reply" is clicked:

SyntaxError: '#reply-control .d-editor-preview img:not(.avatar, .emoji)' is not a valid selector

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-03-17, 19:01

back2themoon wrote:
2023-03-17, 18:39
SyntaxError: '#reply-control .d-editor-preview img:not(.avatar, .emoji)' is not a valid selector
Some work improving :not() has been done recently, so it's possible this might be fixed in PM 32.1.0.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by mmouse » 2023-03-21, 09:58

Hello

logging on this site to spam it with a word of thanks to @thartan, FranklinDM and all the others who are giving their efforts to this browser. When I am hit by some more of this Discourse madness, I am getting here and finding help is great.

mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by mmouse » 2023-03-21, 21:26

Hello again

I just had the update to 32.1.0 and posting on a Discourse forum works again. Cheers !

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-03-23, 21:23

mmouse wrote:
2023-03-21, 09:58
logging on this site to spam it with a word of thanks to @thartan [sic]
No need to thank me. I am just a regular user of the browser.

---

I just logged into a Discourse forum for the first time in several days.

Following the Pale Moon 32.1.0 update, I have found that posting works once again.

Thanks to Moonchild and the rest of The Pale Moon Team.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2023-03-29, 13:02

Tharthan wrote:
2023-03-16, 13:31
Try this:

[["/discourse|^community\\.|^resource\\.|^forum\\./",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/vendor-/",["/(t\\.discourse\\.hoisted|t\\[e\\]|r)(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\{\\}|\\[\\])/g","$1$2($1=$3)","n??=[]","n||(n=[])"]],["/discourse-/",["e.draft||=t.draft","e.draft||(e.draft=t.draft)","/(t\\.__registry__\\._typeInjections\\.service|[ne]|[fm]\\[e\\])(\\?\\?|\\|\\|)=(\\[\\]|\\{\\})/g","$1$2($1=$3)","(s||=","!s&&(s=","this._details??=this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}","this._details=this._details??this.store.createRecord(\"topicDetails\",{id:this.id,topic:this})}"]]]]
Thanks. This solved an issue arisen in forum.italia.it (no login button appearing, silently, no error message).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)