Error trying to bid on ebay.de

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
mowny
Moongazer
Moongazer

Error trying to bid on ebay.de

Unread post by mowny » 2023-01-11, 15:20

On ebay.de, trying to open the bid popup results in a very red error message:
"Hoppla! Anscheinend gibt es ein Problem mit der Verbindung zum Server.

Laden Sie das Browserfenster neu und versuchen Sie es noch einmal."

Code: Select all

GET XHR https://www.ebay.de/lit/v1/item [HTTP/2.0 200 OK 313ms]
GET XHR https://www.ebay.de/bfl/placebid/115664592254 [HTTP/2.0 200 OK 540ms]
Strict-Transport-Security: The site specified a header that could not be parsed successfully.[Learn More]  115664592254
Full link is

https://www.ebay.de/bfl/placebid/115664592254?_trksid=p2047675.m4905&currencyId=EUR&module=1
In the response headers, I see

strict-transport-security	max-age=600, max-age=31536000
In Firefox, for the exact same request as above I find only

strict-transport-security
    	max-age=600
in the response headers.

(I have a sneaking suspicion someone at eBay doesn't know what max-age means in the context of strict-transport-security.)

Firefox lets me copy the raw headers; are the headers presented by PaleMoon (partially) parsed? Would be interesting where the extra max-age comes from.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Error trying to bid on ebay.de

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-01-11, 16:14

Seems to be Issue #2070 (UXP). It will be fixed in the next release this month.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-11, 19:45

It also means that ebay.de is not adhering to the spec for HSTS as they are not allowed to send more than one HSTS header in one response.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mowny
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mowny » 2023-01-12, 08:24

Yeah, but

2.  All directives MUST appear only once in an STS header field.
       Directives are either optional or required, as stipulated in
       their definitions.
4.  UAs MUST ignore any STS header field containing directives, or
       other header field value data, that does not conform to the
       syntax defined in this specification.
means PM is not adhering to the spec for HSTS either.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-01-12, 08:32

Which is why there is an open issue for this as mentioned in jobbautista's comment.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-12, 13:05

mowny wrote:
2023-01-12, 08:24
means PM is not adhering to the spec for HSTS either.
it'll be addressed as said.
BUT.. that is also a spec issue because a different RFC states that servers MUST NOT send duplicate headers for those headers that can't be coalesced into a list (HSTS is not one of those). And the two specs are therefore in conflict. The client side "robustness" consideration you quoted should not be necessary if servers adhere to sending headers properly, and the browser erroring out on bad headers is a perfectly normal and expected response in that case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mowny
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mowny » 2023-01-26, 13:11

jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-01-11, 16:14
Seems to be Issue #2070 (UXP). It will be fixed in the next release this month.
New release 32.0.0 came in. Still no change.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-26, 17:44

Well, 2070 was fixed so it's not that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-27, 19:32

I've had the same issue on eBay now and i don't see why it errors. the requests succeed, json data is given back, but somehow isn't accepted by their scripting and then it gives the "having trouble connecting to the server" error. I don't see anything that could cause this other than something inside their scripting drawing an incorrect conclusion based on data?
Unfortunately ebay is also one of those sites that just tell you to 'try a different browser" and if that works then they consider it solved, so we can't expect any help from their side troubleshooting this while it does seem to be their error.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2023-01-30, 22:46

@Moonchild, see you got it, as well, now.

Too bad, Ebay is unfortunately too much focused on Google products (if you use Chrome and Chrome-derived-browsers you get even two more payment options, which says everything).

Pale Moon gives me the option to keep cookies, stay logged in, keep items pinned, and is easy to navigate, so that was my browser for Ebay! Especially when you are bidding on several items within a few seconds. A hassle having to do that with all that scrolling on Chrome! And you can't even take Chrome portably with you, so you lose everything there.

marius_ss

Unread post by marius_ss » 2023-02-04, 17:10

I can confirm same issue on ebay in UK !!!
Attachments
New Bitmap Image.jpg

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2023-02-05, 05:55

marius_ss wrote:
2023-02-04, 17:10
I can confirm same issue on ebay in UK !!!
Yes, it definitely occurs on Ebay USA, Britain and Germany, most likely on all. Bidding as well as checking and answering offers made from sellers to buyers. The other way (making an offer to a seller) funny enough works. Direct purchase works, too. All of this works on Brave.

And since it now occurs also in my old Pale Moon version which worked perfectly well throughout December 2022 I don't believe it is a browser update issue. If it were, older versions should still work. Ebay must have changed anything. I have also noticed that they now no longer give the seconds until a listing ends. They used to say listing ends February 5th at 10:33:55, now it's only February 5th at 10:33. Which speaks for changes on Ebay,

I have tried to get in touch with Ebay via Facebook (sometimes this is a better way than having to deal with the buyer/seller call center), but they want me to "verify" my Ebay account (why??? it's a technical thing, not an account related thing) by clicking on a link which clearly does NOT point to a domain including the word "ebay" (spkl.io and they seriously think I'll click that?!), so I haven't done that. Guess, I have to go by phone.

marius_ss

Unread post by marius_ss » 2023-02-05, 12:20

Well I have doubts is problem on ebay side ! i believe its Palemoon because only on Palemoon i have it never on different browsers !!and right now im testing lot of portable browsers ! :sick:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-05, 12:37

Feel free to point out where Pale Moon is in error, specifically, so we could do something about it. And if you don't know, contact ebay to tell us/you what's wrong.
"not able to contact a server' is, pretty much by definition, a server error, especially if pale moon has zero problems connecting to servers in general.
I agree with the :sick: -- it was working just fine but they changed something and now their server apparently rejects Pale Moon. Is that our fault?

MrD2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by MrD2018 » 2023-02-05, 13:16

I just wanted to add that Ebay's Nectar points page(https://www.ebay.co.uk/nectar/home) is also not working correctly with Pale Moon. When the page loads it is blank apart from the Ebay search box and some links. Checking on Firefox, the Nectar page has had a major update recently and looks completely different.

geraldh
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by geraldh » 2023-02-06, 15:48

I am now informing Ebay sellers that I am unable to complete my transactions and sending them a screenshot of the error popup. Perhaps if enough large volume sellers get onto them they might take some notice. A bit of a forlorn hope, but one can only try :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-09, 15:20

Darren, eBay support wrote:The reason behind it is that our technical support team has recently updated us that it is recommended to use Chrome browser while using eBay to avoid such temporary glitches.
... (provided screenshot and details)
Thank you for waiting patiently, our team has checked all the details.
Let me share the conclusion with you here.
We have found that the eBay account is in completely good standing and the issue is with firefox browser. Since you were not facing any issue on Edge browser while placing bid.
We strongly suggest you to use chrome as it is more compatible while using eBay.
... (resistance voiced)
If you do not prefer using chrome browser, while bidding you can use edge while bidding.
They've just gone full monoculture, have updated the site to only accept chrome, and push anyone who contacts support to use Chrome and if you refuse, they say to use Edge. I think they are just blocking anything non-Blink at this point.

marius_ss

Unread post by marius_ss » 2023-03-08, 17:34

with all do respect !! for me Palemoon still remain in top list as a secondary daily browser but i'm still in research and still testing because unfortunately its not working everywhere as supposed !! so speaking about issue, im not a developer but i have enough knowledge to understand that something is related to the browser itself who creating this issues when trying to bid in ebay !! and don't get me wrong im not defending ebay i think they are lazy *** who don't want to optimize that heavy webpage but lets be honest i have few images i did at the same time in different browsers im testing and here the result !!

Palemoon 32.01 Fail
palemoon.PNG
SeaMonkey 2.53.15 Fail
seamonkey.PNG
Ice Dragon 65.0.2.15 (32-bit) working well
icedragon.PNG
K-melon 76.4.7 I couldn't log in on ebay :!:

Waterfox G4.1.2.1 (64-bit) working well
waterfox.PNG

All these browsers are portable working from USB > this is what I need ! couldn't find the best one yet, all of them have some issues ! so i cannot point as you said to where is the issue but certainly is something related to the browser if different browsers at the same scenario behave different ! I hope you'll find a solution for that and this is only one of the problem which other don't have ... I shortly put below general examples how they working in different conditions !!

Palemoon = light, acceptable speed most of the time, not slow in general apart from YouTube its just horrible slow most of the time freezing, needs time to recover, compatible in general apart from ebay issues, nice simple interface.
SeaMonkey = not heavy but not the lightest, one of the fastest for browsing, the fastest in YouTube (apart from k-melon which using mobile YouTube), same ebay issues, complicated UI and not that easy to use !
Ice Dragon = heavy like new firefox, not that fast on browsing, slow in youtube little better than Palemoon, high compatibility
K-melon = the lightest and the fastest browser but not easy and not the most intuitive UI and some serious incompatibilities,including ebay and other pages, youtube is mobile version but fast.
Waterfox = very similar with ice-dragon, trying to find a difference between these 2 !!

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2023-03-21, 02:34

Just checking in whether there are any news about this issue. I currently use Brave with Ebay, but would love to have my Pale Moon back!

@marius_ss : Very interesting. Could you perchance also test Slimbrowser and LibreWolf (both Firefox-like browsers, both available portable, as well)? Mentioning Ice Dragon - that is retired, right? I can't find any version other than 65.0.2, and the download link on the Comodo page gives me Dragon instead.
Mentioning K-Meleon - I had no problems logging in to Ebay USA (ebay.com) with K-Meleon portable 76.4.7.

Kand_in_Sky
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kand_in_Sky » 2023-03-30, 18:42

LibreWolf 110.0-1 works
PM 32.1.0 fail
Basilisk 23.03.07 fail
PaleMoon & Basilisk
- on 2014 i5-4210M Notebook 8GB Win7 64Bit
- on 2014 Athlon 5350 16GB PC Win7 64Bit
- on 2018 Athlon200GE 32GB PC Win10 64Bit