electrek.co doesn't show comments

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

electrek.co doesn't show comments

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-12-04, 18:03

e.g.
https://electrek.co/2022/12/01/tesla-se ... ric-truck/

Electrek recently changed its forum format and, since then, the comments won't load.
uBlock is off, accepting cookies, no luck in Basilisk or PM Portable 'clean'.
OK in FF and Vivaldi.
I'd much rather use PM.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: electrek.co doesn't show comments

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-04, 21:33

Quick inspection (because you didn't post console output... thanks for ignoring that request) shows they went full Chrome (under the terribly misleading name of OpenWeb). The site wants to use Shadow DOM and Google regex extensions, and by the looks of it also uses Blink-specific layout quirks causing misalignment of several elements. The regex seems to be ad related so is less important, but the "spot.im" "conversations" thing by the looks of it is what causes the issues you're talking about here and won't work without a fully working implementation of Google Webcomponents (which Shadow DOM is a part of).
Giraffe wrote:
2022-12-04, 18:03
I'd much rather use PM.
Currently not possible.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: electrek.co doesn't show comments

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-12-06, 17:58

I apologise for not posting the console - just looked for it and finally managed to find it. I don't understand what is in there but at least I now know where it is.
Pity about the Elektrek going that way as there's often something to be learned from the comments.

Thank you for the explanation.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.