Webmin doesn't work anymore Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Webmin doesn't work anymore

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-11-29, 17:01

I use Webmin to do basic maintenance of Linux VM running on my home server (because I don't know crap about Linux and the command line is a mystery to me :mrgreen: ), and after updating it today from version 2.000 to I think 2.010 it no longer loads in PM. After deleting cookies and cache, I still only get empty GUI (as in, I see the left side menu but nothing in the main screen).
I wonder if they changed anything significant or it's a problem on my end. It loads just fine in Firefox.

Content Security Policy: Directive ‘child-src’ has been deprecated. Please use directive ‘worker-src’ to control workers, or directive ‘frame-src’ to control frames respectively. (unknown)
SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression bundle.min.js:183:486802

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Webmin doesn't work anymore

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-29, 18:58

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2022-11-29, 17:01
SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression bundle.min.js:183:486802
This means they went the Chrome route.

You may be able to avoid this by using the grey framed theme?

Certainly something to tell the webmin dev! I use it myself as well so certainly not happy if this is something that is a problem across all themes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-30, 09:16

I poked the Webmin people on GitHub and they state it's a theme issue, indeed. Authentic (that error-prone "modern" theme with pseudo-analog gauges) is the one that loads bundle.js and uses Sveltekit. the Grey Framed or VirtualMin themes don't, so if you configure webmin to use that, it should be fine. Not sure if there is a quick way to switch themes outside of using the GUI and if not, you'll have to use a different browser to swap themes and afterwards should be fine?

Of course the discussion there landed on "ES9 has been out for a number of years now, why can't we use it?" and "Isn't Firefox fast and secure enough?" to which I welcome anyone with opinions to chip in if they want (please remain civil and to the point if you do).
https://github.com/webmin/webmin/issues/1802
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-11-30, 11:40

So are they going to fix the theme, or was it an intentional change?

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-11-30, 14:15

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2022-11-30, 11:40
So are they going to fix the theme, or was it an intentional change?
Seems they are willing to work on a fix, and have something initial already out:
https://github.com/webmin/webmin/issues ... 1332087137

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-07, 11:17

They've updated their development version of Authentic to be Pale Moon compatible again.
You can pull that version in by using

Code: Select all

webmin update-devel --product webmin --theme
Which will update Authentic.