Can't sign in to my Proton.me account in Pale Moon?

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
KendoSurf
New to the forum
New to the forum

Can't sign in to my Proton.me account in Pale Moon?

Unread post by KendoSurf » 2022-11-16, 22:36

Hello. I'm new here, and can't find this topic addressed. Can use another browser, but would be convenient to use Pale Moon. The sign in page appears, but the sign in fields don't respond. Thank You!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can't sign in to my Proton.me account in Pale Moon?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-16, 23:56

Went to proton.me, clicked "sign in", was presented with a credentials box and everything worked as-normal.
Sorry, unable to replicate.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-11-17, 02:53

KendoSurf wrote:
2022-11-16, 22:36
Hello. I'm new here, and can't find this topic addressed. Can use another browser, but would be convenient to use Pale Moon. The sign in page appears, but the sign in fields don't respond. Thank You!
Yeah, there's something weird going on with their sign-in page, they've got a box of some sort that's overlaying the left-hand half of the sign-in fields (see picture).
proton.me.jpg
You can see the box if you are in dark mode, like with the Swarth extension.

You can still click in the sign-in fields, you just need to click over to the far right side of the fields. You can also tab between fields.

EDIT: Looks like on my system it's because I was using the CanvasBlocker Legacy extension. Adding proton.me to the whitelist in the CanvasBlocker preferences makes it work normally again.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-17, 03:31

andyprough wrote:
2022-11-17, 02:53
Looks like on my system it's because I was using the CanvasBlocker Legacy extension. Adding proton.me to the whitelist in the CanvasBlocker preferences makes it work normally again.
Off-topic:
You can just set canvas.poisondata to true instead, no need for this extension.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-11-17, 03:52

moonbat wrote:
2022-11-17, 03:31
You can just set canvas.poisondata to true instead, no need for this extension.
I use each at different times. I don't know how they work, but I've tested them and they seem to do some different things. I do like CanvasBlocker, I think it's still a pretty useful extension. Anyway, that's completely irrelevant, I'm trying to help him to log in.

Edit - I mean my hobby of spoofing stuff is irrelevant, your comment is helpful

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-17, 08:30

CanvasBlocker does exactly what it says: it blocks all use of the HTML5 canvas. This is known to break websites that use it for different purposes.
The built-in data poisoning option does not block any feature in the browser, but does make fingerprinting through canvas data impossible (with the added bonus that it will give trackers bogus entries in their profile database).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite