Brighteon.com double-playing audio on videos

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
luke2136

Brighteon.com double-playing audio on videos

Unread post by luke2136 » 2022-11-14, 19:30

PM 31.3.1 - Brighteon.com videos strange new behavior - double playing audio:

on Brighteon click video to play -

when the video starts the audio track plays separately in the background; if the video continues playing there is two instances of the audio - the video itself and the one in the background; if the video is stopped the audio continues to run in the background.

(tested it on a chrome browser does not do this; tested it on Tor (ff methinks) and it did the same as Pale Moon)

thanks, just wanted to report that - fyi

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Brighteon.com double-playing audio on videos

Unread post by therube » 2022-11-14, 19:39

Heh. That's pretty funny.

Confirmed.

Changing the UA does not look to help.

Code: Select all

It looks like Stripe.js was loaded more than one time. Please only load it once per page.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-11-14, 21:19

There are two players - audio and video, both begin to play at the same time. You can see Audio and Video tabs on top of the player’s rectangle and switch between them.
Why do they begin to play both - this is another question...

luke2136

Unread post by luke2136 » 2022-11-14, 22:00

Kris_88 wrote:
2022-11-14, 21:19
There are two players - audio and video, both begin to play at the same time. You can see Audio and Video tabs on top of the player’s rectangle and switch between them.
Why do they begin to play both - this is another question...
Good find.. i did not notice that - apparently a new feature. It seems starting/stopping and switching back and forth a couple of times will get the video playing properly.

Also, looks like older videos on the site do not have the tabs and play correctly. Tried three or four dated a few months ago - none had tabs all played correctly..

so ..some good news anyway

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2022-11-15, 06:08

FWIW, if you click on the 'Audio' tab and mute the sound there in the lower left corner (the 'speaker' symbol), the second audio stops. Of course, shouldn't have to do this. I'm sure there's a cause/reason somewhere.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-11-15, 11:18

A very brief investigation leads me to believe it's caused by the fact that both audio and video elements receive the click event.
Looking at the DOM I can see that the two sources are contained in <div> elements and the tabs at the top simply give the respective element a CSS rule of display: none to these <div>s.
This CSS rule is purely visual and doesn't stop events, so the click event goes through both elements, activating them at the same time.
Or at least, that's my guess. I haven't checked further than noticing the display: none dance, so tread carefully.