gmail - reply all and address entry issues Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

gmail - reply all and address entry issues

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2022-11-11, 19:01

The last few days I noticed gmail isn't behaving as normal when I try to "reply all". It used to start a new email reply beneath the "covnersation" with all the prior recipients already listed in the "to" and "cc" fields.
Instead, the last couple days it has only been pulling 2 of the previous recipients.

Also, any time I'm going to compose a new email (reply, reply all, forward, and new) the auto-complete for the recipient addresses is acting strange. Normally you can start typing the name and it will auto-populate with suggested results. When the desired one shows up, all you used to have to do was hit "tab" and it would insert their name and address.
Instead it works almost the same except it has been inserting their address in front of the text I had typed and moves the cursor directly into the body of the email.
So for example, if I were to try and send a message to John Wick, I'd start typing "John W". Then when his suggested name and address show up, I'd hit tab and expect to see "John Wick" but instead I'm getting "John Wick, John W" and my cursor jumps to the email body.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I tested in Chrome and it's working normally there.

Thanks!
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

b_terry

Re: gmail - reply all and address entry issues

Unread post by b_terry » 2022-11-13, 01:20

I am experiencing the same problem with Gmail. It seems to have started with the last update. Gmail works find on SR_Iron (not the latest version).

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2022-11-15, 17:16

I'm not sure how much this helps but here's the web console output when I filter to warnings and errors for Net, CSS, JS and Security. Aside from some warnings that show up as my mouse hovers over various page elements, only the following JS error appears.

Code: Select all

uncaught exception: CustomError: Error in protected function: this.ha.getRootNode is not a function  
(unknown)
This occurs right when I hit the "tab" key after entering part of a name in the address field.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- James

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-15, 20:17

We do have getRootNode behind the dom.getRootNode.enabled pref but be aware it's part of the WebComponents stuff so flipping that may not help in the end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

b_terry

Unread post by b_terry » 2022-11-16, 00:50

I set dom.getRootNode.enabled to true, but the problem persists.

apcwizard

Gmail Composition Bugs in Windows 7 64 bit

Unread post by apcwizard » 2022-11-16, 05:09

Windows 7 64 bit
Palemoon version 31.2.0.1

Recently, in the past week or so, when I compose a gmail and type the first few letter for a recipient, once a recipient's address is selected, the few letters typed remain in the recipient's area.

Also, when I select an email group, only the first email address comes up in the recipients area.

This issue does not happen if I'm in the Opera browser.

I tested these issue on another Windows 7 64 bit computer and the same issues occured.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-11-16, 11:17

@ apcwizard

Your 32.2.0.1 version of Pale Moon is old and out of date. Since Pale Moon is now on version 31.3.1, have you tried with the new version?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

apcwizard

Unread post by apcwizard » 2022-11-16, 13:00

You misread my post as I was and am using version 31.2.0.1

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-11-16, 23:46

gi_jimbo wrote:
2022-11-11, 19:01
The last few days I noticed gmail isn't behaving as normal...
I'm guessing you are now using the new Gmail user interface?

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com ... ience.html

(The new Gmail user interface is becoming the standard experience)

apcwizard

Unread post by apcwizard » 2022-11-17, 00:19

I'm using the default gmail compact interface.

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2022-11-17, 04:39

back2themoon wrote:
2022-11-16, 23:46
gi_jimbo wrote:
2022-11-11, 19:01
The last few days I noticed gmail isn't behaving as normal...
I'm guessing you are now using the new Gmail user interface?

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com ... ience.html

(The new Gmail user interface is becoming the standard experience)
Haha, no. I looked at it and hated it. What a waste of space! No I'm still on the previous interface.
- James

apcwizard

Unread post by apcwizard » 2022-11-17, 04:59

I finally checked, and I'm still using to previous gmail interface. I don't use the "Chat, Spaces, and Meet" features.

sanstones

Unread post by sanstones » 2022-11-20, 17:43

My peeve is that unread messages are no longer in bold.

I had tried the new gmail user interface and killed it a few months ago, but now according to google:
"Starting this month, this user interface will become the standard experience for Gmail, with no option to revert back to the “original view.” With the new UI, users are still able to change their Gmail theme, inbox type, and more through quick settings. "

For me, that makes reading gmail in Pale Moon impossible, and I'll have to revert to Chrome.

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2022-11-21, 13:38

Whether I like it or not, I've been pushed to the new Gmail interface. I will say that I like the new finer looking font much better. I just wish there was a way to push Chat back under my inbox and labels and remove the obnoxious new bar on the left.

For anyone else experiencing this issue, setting dom.getRootNode.enabled to true worked for me. Thanks @Moonchild, you're the best.
Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-15, 20:17
We do have getRootNode behind the dom.getRootNode.enabled pref but be aware it's part of the WebComponents stuff so flipping that may not help in the end.
Note: If changing the above setting doesn't seem to work, I suggest refreshing your gmail page.
- James

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2022-11-22, 01:28

gi_jimbo wrote:
2022-11-21, 13:38
Whether I like it or not, I've been pushed to the new Gmail interface. I will say that I like the new finer looking font much better. I just wish there was a way to push Chat back under my inbox and labels and remove the obnoxious new bar on the left.

For anyone else experiencing this issue, setting dom.getRootNode.enabled to true worked for me. Thanks @Moonchild, you're the best.
Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-15, 20:17
Note: If changing the above setting doesn't seem to work, I suggest refreshing your gmail page.
what exactly does the option dom.getRootNode.enabled do?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-22, 01:33

It enables the getRootNode function as the name says.
See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... etRootNode

This was implemented but is generally only used on sites that use Shadow DOM, and has been used as a "feature detection" method; as a result enabling it by default might be problematic because the site may assume we have Shadow DOM available and enabled, which isn't the case unless webcomponents is enabled.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

b_terry

Unread post by b_terry » 2022-11-23, 19:10

After setting dom.getRootNode.enabled to true, there was no change. But after restarting my computer, gmail address line started working again. Thanks, Moonchild for the suggested change.

apcwizard

Unread post by apcwizard » 2022-11-24, 19:07

After setting dom.getRootNode.enabled to true, all that was necessary was to restart Palemoon. After that, the gmail address issue was resolved!!!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-24, 21:27

Do keep in mind that it may break other websites, although I'm currently doing a test run of having it enabled in my daily browsing and it seems whatever lib it was that previously caused issues has moved on to different methods of feature detection, so it may be OK to leave enabled as default.