Trakt.tv

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
ltcomdata
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Trakt.tv

Unread post by ltcomdata » 2022-11-04, 22:25

The webpage trakt.tv (https://trakt.tv) does not work properly with Pale Moon (but seems to work fine with Chromium Edge).

When user-interface components in the website are pressed, usually a subordinate user-interface is supposed to appear that allows you to further make choices/selections. For example, when pressing the search magnifying glass, a sub-menu appears asking if you want to search movies or tv shows. When you press on the giant heart to rate your movie, a row of hearts is supposed to appear asking you to select your rating. And in all cases, when the square buttons under "CHECK IN" are pressed, sub-menus are supposed to ask you questions. None of these reactive sub-menus are working on Pale Moon.

I notice a single error when I first load the page:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 11/4/2022 8:05:40 PM
Error: ReferenceError: customElements is not defined
Source File: https://trakt.tv/assets/turbo-8794998d8fb36a2ae3fcb23679cd330faef003414be4662cf01cde0756461abd.js
Line: 648
I get either no response when clicking on an element (as if it were not a link to be pressed), or no response from the error console if I am able to press the user interface.

Thanks!
Last edited by ltcomdata on 2022-11-05, 01:14, edited 2 times in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Trakt.tv

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-11-04, 23:51

Follow the steps in the colored box above titled "Forum rules".
In this case, at step 2 also interact with the site's interface.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-05, 02:45

Custom elements aren't yet supported in PM so you'll have to rely on Chromezilla if you want to use this site.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-05, 03:21

Off-topic:
Aside from compatibility issues with pale Moon at the moment, I would seriously consider not using their service.
Check their absolutely draconic terms of use: https://trakt.tv/terms
Basically they have everything in place to collect all your data, claim all your user content submissions and feedback, ratings, etc. and use it for their own purposes, including other products and services they may have or create. In addition they have a class action waiver and arbitration clause which precludes any reasonable litigation you can bring on them if they abuse their position or your data (and they exclude areas where such arbitration or class action waiver would not be enforceable, making your use of their service unauthorized, which in turn allows them to make the valid legal assumption your data is submitted under such clauses and cannot be fought). Seriously, read it. If you don't understand the legal implications, ask someone with some legal experience to explain it to you before you decide to sign up with them or use them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ltcomdata
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by ltcomdata » 2022-11-08, 02:41

Off-topic:
Thank you for the advice Moonchild.
I agree that their terms seem aweful, and I will take a careful look at their terms of service.
But, may I ask, are their terms that much draconian from other "free" services?
Doesn't facebook, or goodreads, or any other free service do the same?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-11-08, 08:51

ltcomdata wrote:
2022-11-08, 02:41
Off-topic:
Thank you for the advice Moonchild.
But, may I ask, are their terms that much draconian from other "free" services?
Doesn't facebook, or goodreads, or any other free service do the same?
Off-topic:
It depends on the service. There are some free services that do not try to chain you like that.
And finally, "two wrongs don't make a right" as the saying goes: just because <famous service> does it, doesn't mean it's ok to have these terms of service.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-08, 09:53

Off-topic:
ltcomdata wrote:
2022-11-08, 02:41
may I ask, are their terms that much draconian from other "free" services?
I think they are some of the absolute worst terms of service I have seen. And I've seen and read through quite a few. If they weren't a real issue I wouldn't have warned about them the way I did.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ltcomdata
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by ltcomdata » 2022-11-09, 04:45

Off-topic:
TV time --- which seems to be the direct competitor to trakt.tv --- seems to have similar restrictive terms of service: https://www.tvtime.com/terms/. To my very uninformed non-lawyerly eyes, both services reserve the right to use my content however they please (even if they have different wording). And they both have arbitration clauses that forbid me any right to access courts, real judges, or real law --- just like every single other company out in the interwebs. Yes, trakt.tv is horrible. Is there any better alternative? Perhaps actual software I can install in my computer?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-09, 12:31

Off-topic:
ltcomdata wrote:
2022-11-09, 04:45
To my very uninformed non-lawyerly eyes, both services reserve the right to use my content however they please (even if they have different wording). And they both have arbitration clauses that forbid me any right to access courts, real judges, or real law
No, they are distinctly different. I wouldn't have much issue with tvtime.com's terms Unless maybe I would live in California... But I don't exactly know local Ca laws so I don't know how it would impact. One major difference re: arbitration with them (to pul out one thing) is that they give precedence to the law. trakt.tv simply says "you agree to this or don't use our service and if you do use our service regardless, we can assume you were authorized and therefore we can enforce our rules regardless" since contract terms regularly trump civil law when undersigned.