bike24.com shows captcha all the time since the update

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

bike24.com shows captcha all the time since the update

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-10-04, 10:07

Ever since the last update (31.3) hit PM, this damn eshop started to annoy the shit out of me with captchas. I don't ever remember this happening there.
No idea what's going on, but I guess there's nothing I can do :(

https://www.bike24.com/p2642439.html for example

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: bike24.com shows captcha all the time since the update

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-04, 10:27

Make sure you're not forcefully blocking all cookies.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-10-04, 13:56

Your example 'bike24.com' website is using 'hcaptcha' as now supplied by Cloudflare... :thumbdown:
Try reloading the page when faced with captcha page. The normal 'bike24' page opened on reload when tested using a completely clean Pale Moon profile. :)

One option is to load the 'bike24' site once... accept their cookie offer... then the 'hcaptcha' shouldn't appear on subsequent visits.
Alternatively, and if not fussed about privacy, then I believe there is some way you can sign into the 'hcatpcha' service itself which then recognises you/your IP address is not a 'bot' when visiting all sites using their system?

hcaptcha in use by Cloudfare.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-04, 14:49

hcaptcha is not the problem.
The problem is aggressive blocking of cookies that are being used to store the verification of passing the captcha.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-10-04, 15:28

I simply use Ublock Origin. How do I know whether it's blocking specific cookies?
What do I do?

Bottom line is, I haven't changed anything about how I access the website, and now it's giving me problems. I don't get it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-04, 17:08

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2022-10-04, 15:28
Bottom line is, I haven't changed anything about how I access the website, and now it's giving me problems. I don't get it.
I have a pretty good idea what is causing this.
Pale Moon by default now sends the "Origin" request header. this will trigger a more stringent check on the request by Cloudflare when encountered, which in turn makes it more sensitive to overzealous removal or blocking of cookies that are required for its access check when it is in "I'm under attack" mode, which bike24 currently is (they shouldn't use it unless they are actively under attack at this very moment). Of note also that you passing a challenge is subject to a timeout: after a specified amount of time you will have to solve the captcha again, so if that is the issue you're having then that is by design in "I'm under attack" mode.

I can't say anything about how this interacts with uBlock and your specific settings of it or the filter lists you are using, nor do i know how you could see exactly what is being blocked, because, frankly, I don't use that extension.

sciuro
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by sciuro » 2022-10-04, 17:14

What about the above mentioned proposal "load the 'bike24' site once... accept their cookie offer... then the 'hcaptcha' shouldn't appear on subsequent visits"?
Just did that with both uBlock origin & Adblock Latitude installed and bike24.com is working nice, so the problem could be elsewhere. By the way PM 31.3.01 here.
Also, can you clean all your history? Sometimes an old cookie could be the culprit.

PS: if you suspect uBlock origin, just add your site to - chrome://ublock0/content/dashboard.html#whitelist.html

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-10-04, 19:39

LuftWafflePilot wrote:I simply use Ublock Origin. How do I know whether it's blocking specific cookies?
uBlock Origin (uBO) isn't a simple 'black box' Ad blocking extension, it has many powerful additional features. So, you can 'know' or find out exactly what your particular uBO set-up, with your unique selection of filter lists, is blocking for every webpage you load by using uBO's built-in 'logger' function.

You will need to read up on how uBO's logger works... lots of info in uBO's own Wiki pages (link on uBO's Dashboard > under 'About' tab) and elsewhere online: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=using+ublock+ ... s=1&ia=web

Just remember uBO's logger can only log activity if it is open... then you can open the 'bike24' page and inspect logger.

PS. The uBO compatible with Pale Moon is a Legacy version - uBO 1.16.4.30... which originates from mid-2018. The logger function has not changed greatly since, but here is a link to uBO's logger Wiki page from mid-2018 via WayBackMachine (WBM): https://web.archive.org/web/20180520182 ... The-logger)

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-10-04, 22:52

@LuftWafflePilot

The site opens fine here. No captcha at all. (BTW, I'm using uBlockO as well.)
Make sure that cookies and scripting are allowed.

If it still doesn't work for you test with a fresh profile.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-10-05, 05:29

Moonchild wrote:
2022-10-04, 17:08
I have a pretty good idea what is causing this.
Pale Moon by default now sends the "Origin" request header. this will trigger a more stringent check on the request by Cloudflare when encountered, which in turn makes it more sensitive to overzealous removal or blocking of cookies that are required for its access check when it is in "I'm under attack" mode, which bike24 currently is (they shouldn't use it unless they are actively under attack at this very moment). Of note also that you passing a challenge is subject to a timeout: after a specified amount of time you will have to solve the captcha again, so if that is the issue you're having then that is by design in "I'm under attack" mode.
Yes, this is exactly it. Since I'm the one who added the support for the Origin request header to the platform, I'm pretty confident that the Origin header is a factor here. This issue, which I first encountered in fanfiction.net, is why I didn't have the Origin header support enabled by default when it was introduced in Pale Moon 31.2.0.

Even right now the issue is present in fanfiction.net. The cookie seems to only last for about 6 hours, so I do end up having to solve the CAPTCHA multiple times in a day. But sometimes I get lucky and it skips the CAPTCHA for me when doing the browser check...

If one is really annoyed by the constant CAPTCHAs (maybe they're in private browsing mode where cookies won't be saved), they can disable Origin header support as a workaround by setting network.http.sendOriginHeader to 0.

But yeah, the proper solution for this would be for websites to not use "under attack" mode all the time, and for Cloudflare to tweak their settings to not have their robot check be too hostile against small browsers like us. Maybe I will write an email to ff.net about this later...

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-10-05, 07:00

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-10-05, 05:29

If one is really annoyed by the constant CAPTCHAs (maybe they're in private browsing mode where cookies won't be saved), ...
I tested several times in private browsing mode and the site opens fine without any captcha.
All I get is a request to select between cookie options.
Cookies persist in memory as long as the browser won't be closed.
Attachments
bike.png