PM31.3 has issues on Gab.com Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

PM31.3 has issues on Gab.com

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-09-27, 15:51

This is a preliminary report. I haven't done troubleshooting yet, except to check that Seamonkey is working.
Comments on threads are not being displayed. Embedded videos are displaying weirdly (play button over text of post for one thing and no way to copy link location). I'm sure I'll find more as I use it, but I have other things to do right now. I do not know if any other PM users care, so it may not be worth the time to track down specifics unless the changes affect other sites. I don't expect the site owner or site developers to care about PM since they recommend using Brave.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: PM31.3 has issues on Gab.com

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-09-27, 16:05

Michaell wrote:
2022-09-27, 15:51
but I have other things to do right now.
As do the rest of us here, so why couldn't you wait to finish those other things so that you could file a comprehensive report including the troubleshooting information as requested in every new post template?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-27, 16:23

because of so little fucks given to report, I'm just stating the most likely, unchecked, scenario: Firefox compatmode version was bumped to 102.0 - gab may be using user agent sniffing to do feature detection and feeding you chromified web scripting as a result.
Potential workaround: add a site-specific user-agent override for gab.com faking Firefox 68.0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-09-27, 16:42

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 27.09.2022 18:39:48
Warning: Content Security Policy: Ignoring ‘x-frame-options’ because of ‘frame-ancestors’ directive.
That's what I see at first glance and AFAIK it is a known issue.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-27, 16:54

That is irrelevant. it just means they indicate both rules in CSP and the preferred rule overrides the obsolete one. all browsers will do that, but may or may not warn about it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-09-27, 17:12

UA changed to Firefox 68 doesn't help.
I'm not sure that it is sniffing since Waterfox Classic ( basically Firefox 56) seems to work fine.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-27, 17:54

I figured it out. It's actually my fault... I was messing with CSS again, and it seems like everytime I try to fix anything in there, it breaks half a dozen other things I wouldn't think to check.

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... ssues/1986

I reverted this issue and it fixed Gab.com. The good news is, at least it was the one I thought it was. This is the commit I made during this cycle that I was the least confident in.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-27, 18:12

So, what's the plan? Do you think you can figure out what's wrong with your commits?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-27, 18:42

Moonchild wrote:
2022-09-27, 18:12
So, what's the plan? Do you think you can figure out what's wrong with your commits?
Well, I'm going to try and figure it out, but I can't be sure how long it will take me. I'm thinking... it might take a couple of days to dive back in and figure out what's wrong, but I wouldn't expect it to take a week or anything. Still, I'm not sure it would be good to leave things in this state for users while I figure it out.

It is good to have a clear test case where my commits don't work as expected so I can fix things up, though that happening on the back of a new release probably isn't the best outcome.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-27, 19:20

athenian200 wrote:
2022-09-27, 18:42
It is good to have a clear test case where my commits don't work as expected so I can fix things up, though that happening on the back of a new release probably isn't the best outcome.
Well the issue is that you can't know something specific is broken until you become aware of it. I can probably back out the problematic commits and have a minor update in a day or so and then you don't have to feel time pressured to look into it. Unless it's something obvious and simple like a typo or easy oversight (which I don't think it is here), that would be the best solution.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-27, 19:23

Moonchild wrote:
2022-09-27, 19:20
Well the issue is that you can't know something specific is broken until you become aware of it. I can probably back out the problematic commits and have a minor update in a day or so and then you don't have to feel time pressured to look into it. Unless it's something obvious and simple like a typo or easy oversight (which I don't think it is here), that would be the best solution.
Yeah, I agree. That would probably be better, I did find one thing I missed already that was easy to fix, but it wasn't related to Gab.com, so I'm thinking this patch just needs a little more bake time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-27, 20:01

Right-o, I'll work on getting that done then

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-09-27, 20:39

Athenian200, thanks for figuring it out or working on it. Are we losing anything important if the relevant commits are backed out?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-27, 23:08

Michaell wrote:
2022-09-27, 20:39
Athenian200, thanks for figuring it out or working on it. Are we losing anything important if the relevant commits are backed out?
Nope, it was mostly to fix a glitch in our flex containers that negatively impacted someone's website. They were able to work around it, but I still wanted to try and fix the issue since it looked like an easy fix and I've been trying to improve our CSS parser anyway. It passed all the reftests that were failing before, and appeared fine on the surface with the websites I checked. I wasn't confident in it (though really I tend to lack confidence even in stuff that works), which is why backing it out was the first thing I tried to see if it fixed Gab.com.

Red_Pete

Unread post by Red_Pete » 2022-09-28, 13:25

For what it's worth, in PM.31.3, if one clicks "inspect element", the images in Gab (mostly) appear. However, contra 31.2.0.1, they are shortened to the point where you have to click on them to read much.
I have not found this problem in my other browsing, though I avoid other social media.

I tried palemoon --help and didn't see a local debug option. The debug server looked above my experience limit, and I'm trying to get more crucial things done around the house.

FWIW:
Slackware 64
Kernel 5.15.63
Operating system: Slackware 64 15.0
Browser version: PM 31.3.0 (posting from 31.2.0.1)
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64
Problem URL: gab.com/home
Theme: (I don't understand--bog standard Palemoon)
Installed add-ons: Clean system (originally ran eMatrix and AdBlock Latitude, then ran a clean version as root, same behavior) No change on the plugin system with enabled/disabled states.
Installed plugins: (about:plugins)

I don't know if this helps more, but it's what I found. (Retired from coding 22 years ago. Oh well.)

Pete B

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-09-28, 15:34

Red_Pete wrote:
2022-09-28, 13:25
Browser version: PM 31.3.0 (posting from 31.2.0.1)
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64
Fixed in 31.3.0.1.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-09-28, 15:56

Off-topic:
Went to that site to make sure it worked with the new White Star build... I'd recommend against people reading this topic visit the site though. The content is quite questionable.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-09-28, 16:31

Fixed in update to 31.3.0.1.

Admin/Mod: suggest locking thread because off topic post above is bait for political war discussion.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-09-28, 16:36

Michaell wrote:
2022-09-28, 16:31
Admin/Mod: suggest locking thread because off topic post above is bait for political war discussion.
I agree with locking the thread, but it was just a warning to people not bait, since I did not know what that site was before I went to it.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-28, 17:04

I'll go ahead and lock this thread, since the issue is resolved anyway. If there are other technical issues in the future, a new thread should be created because those issues are not likely to be related to this one.