Palemoon and YouTube.

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
BlakeyRat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Palemoon and YouTube.

Unread post by BlakeyRat » 2022-09-26, 20:50

Today I discovered that Palemoon now works properly with YouTube. For a very long time the only way I could get YouTube to work with Palemoon was to put in a useragent.override that said I was using Firefox v62. (Had to be 62, anything higher wouldn't work)

I don't know if Google finally fixed something, or MC fixed something, but it all actually works now (Palemoon 31.2).

Much thanks to .... someone.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Palemoon and YouTube.

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-09-26, 23:33

Well I'm glad it works for you. :) The only way I have been able to get it to work fully operationally is to not use it.. I have found Invidious (https://yewtu.be) to be a great alternative to YT. That service has been mentioned here hundreds of times. I am using these add-ons too: pmplayer - https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/pmplayer/, and url rewriter - https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/url-rewriter/.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-09-27, 09:15

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-09-26, 23:33
pmplayer
PMPlayer only was meant to play videos in a floating window so that you could browse other things while watching - it depends on the video being allowed to be embedded so won't work with all of them (which I've mentioned in the release notes).

What's always consistently worked for me is the Youtube polymer user script, which requires Greasemonkey.
The script is maintained, I see it get updated once a while - and I've never had to mess with user agent overrides for Youtube.
It lets you customize the Youtube UI as well, you can have more compact thumbnails, return the dislike button and so on.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-09-27, 11:17

moonbat wrote:
2022-09-27, 09:15
PMPlayer only was meant to play videos in a floating window so that you could browse other things while watching - it depends on the video being allowed to be embedded so won't work with all of them (which I've mentioned in the release notes).
And that is exactly what I occasionally use it for. You have authored a great add-on, thanks. I tried several different Greasemonkey scripts to fix my particular issue with YouTube. None, including the one you particularly mentioned, works for me.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'