Github not displaying Assets(loads indefinitely)

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
lucas_jooj
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Github not displaying Assets(loads indefinitely)

Unread post by lucas_jooj » 2022-09-21, 04:46

As title says, Github doesn't display assets under the download/releases tab in the right of the page for any project. It simply keeps loading indefinitely as shown on screenshot attached(left, Chrome latest stable, right Pale Moon 31.2.0.1) Tested UR on the screenshot is https://github.com/Nheko-Reborn/nheko/r ... ag/v0.10.1 . I tried with other repos + with the same nheko link on mobile(chromium) and it loaded fine on Chromium but not PM. I do not have a github account.

Yes, the issue could not be fixed even after restarting PM in safe mode. I never used uMatrix, I'm on Wndows 11 21H2 and using the native user agent on the compatibility mode

Below is what I got from the Console on the inspect element thing, apologies if I copy-pasted wrongly as it's my first time submitting a report of this nature :oops:

Code: Select all

Content Security Policy: Directive ‘child-src’ has been deprecated. Please use directive ‘worker-src’ to control workers, or directive ‘frame-src’ to control frames respectively.  
(unknown)
Unable to check <input pattern='.*\://twitter.com/settings/.*'> because the pattern is not a valid regexp: invalid identity escape in regular expression 
v0.10.1
Unable to check <input pattern='.*\://twitter.com/explore'> because the pattern is not a valid regexp: invalid identity escape in regular expression  
v0.10.1
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at self (“script-src https://github.githubassets.com”). Source:                                         ....  
v0.10.1:1
ReferenceError: customElements is not defined[Learn More]  
vendors-node_modules_manuelpuyol_turbo_dist_turbo_es2017-esm_js-8af9baefab9e.js:15:46935
TypeError: window.customElements is undefined[Learn More]  
vendors-node_modules_primer_view-components_app_components_primer_primer_js-node_modules_gith-e7a013-c9086b575332.js:1:9140
vendors-node_modules_github_tab-container-element_dist_index_js-node_modules_github_auto-comp-d0a479-59a6ec35bd52.js:1:9207
element-registry-aa0577412df5.js:1:26054
Unable to check <input pattern='.*\://twitter.com/settings/.*'> because the pattern is not a valid regexp: invalid identity escape in regular expression 
v0.10.1
Unable to check <input pattern='.*\://twitter.com/explore'> because the pattern is not a valid regexp: invalid identity escape in regular expression  
v0.10.1
ReferenceError: customElements is not defined[Learn More] 
element-registry-aa0577412df5.js:1:28595
Thanks and good Wednesday
Attachments
nheko.jpg

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Github not displaying Assets(loads indefinitely)

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-09-21, 05:29

The best workaround is to install the Palefill extension, but seeing that the releases page in GitHub is broken, it does lead to a chicken-and-egg problem... Here's a direct link to the xpi on GitHub, which you should be able to install: https://github.com/martok/palefill/rele ... l-1.20.xpi

I've also hosted a mirror of the xpi at http://job.tilde.team/palefill-1.20.xpi. Feel free to download both and confirm if my copy is legit.

I opened an issue at martok's repo about this problem.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-09-21, 05:46

Off-topic:
jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-09-21, 05:29
it does lead to a chicken-and-egg problem
Only if having more than one browser goes against your religions principles :P
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-09-21, 09:26

Palefill is also available and mirrored at Fresco.
Off-topic:
Fresco works by taking the releases information via the GitHub API, so it doesn't require manual modifications from the author and functions essentially the same as an external.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-09-21, 09:35

@ lucas_jooj

I've noticed this happening with another extension, uBlock Origin when I changed out a hard drive running Windows 7 yesterday (Tuesday) and put a different SSD in an old laptop, an HP dv4-5113cl, to run the newest release of MX Linux 21.2.1 (Wildflower) Xfce. The same infinite loading of assets circle came into play where uBlock Origin cannot be installed anymore in Pale Moon.

I know for a fact this wasn't happening last month in August when I installed uBlock Origin for Pale Moon running in both the Linux Mint 21 and MX Linux 21 distros in my other four computers. I'm guessing Github changed something recently where this affects Pale Moon.

I had to load Adblock Latitude in Pale Moon to replace uBlock Origin. What Github has done recently for their site is going to cause a problem for any extension for Pale Moon which is hosted on Github.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2022-09-21, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-09-21, 12:06

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-09-21, 09:26
Palefill is also available and mirrored at Fresco.
Ah, I didn't know about that! I've suggested to Martok to use your site instead for the Install link. :D
Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2022-09-21, 05:46
Off-topic:
jobbautista9 wrote:
it does lead to a chicken-and-egg problem
Only if having more than one browser goes against your religions principles :P
Heh, I personally don't mind having to use another browser; I already do that sometimes. :) Though it certainly can be annoying for some users in this case...

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

lucas_jooj
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lucas_jooj » 2022-09-22, 03:02

jobbautista9 wrote:
The best workaround is to install the Palefill extension
I've also hosted a mirror of the xpi at http://job.tilde.team/palefill-1.20.xpi.
Thanks, all the links you sent worked fine :thumbup:
It fix the issue with Github on the title, I hope this isn't the only way to fix this issue though, the add-on has no easy toggle on/off in the UI and so far I only have this Polyfill issue on that particular website and would like to keep it off most of the time; an add-on posted on Fresco (thanks for sharing btw, Franklin!) seemed promising but well, attachment related happens
Attachments
Clipboard109.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-22, 08:30

lucas_jooj wrote:
2022-09-22, 03:02
the add-on has no easy toggle on/off in the UI and so far I only have this Polyfill issue on that particular website and would like to keep it off most of the time
I'm pretty sure it is very selective and only engages on known problematic sites and does nothing on others.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lucas_jooj
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lucas_jooj » 2022-09-23, 14:23

Oh, glad to hear, similar to how a plug-in works then? I was worried it could use up too much of my already limited RAM

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-09-24, 09:34

No, plugins are completely different from addons. Any experienced addon developer knows how to detect the current URL being visited and thus determine whether it is applicable to their addon.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX