Problem viewing Medium publishing platform

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Armano
New to the forum
New to the forum

Problem viewing Medium publishing platform

Unread post by Armano » 2022-09-15, 10:03

Operating system: Win7 Professional
Browser version: Pale Moon 31.2.0.1 (64 bit)
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64 bit
Problem URL: http://medium.com/
Installed add-ons: none
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) none

Problem:
I'm having troubles viewing Medium publishing platform pages using Pale Moon browser. Pages appear on screen for only a few seconds and then disappear leaving me with a blank page (screenshot attached).
I asked Medium for support and got the following reply: Hi Armano, Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. Unfortunately, we are only able to support the latest two versions of the following browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari.
Attachments
MediumScreenshot.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Problem viewing Medium publishing platform

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-15, 10:09

Armano wrote:
2022-09-15, 10:03
Unfortunately, we are only able to support the latest two versions of the following browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari.
They actually meant to say they are only willing to support latest and latest-1 of those browsers. :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-09-15, 11:40

Anyway, the error is once again because of a regex.
It's very curious how the page actually exists for a brief moment, but then because of the error the entire content is deleted. When looking at the DOM the page body is empty except for a container div and scripts.
That's React for you, I guess.

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by adoxa » 2022-09-16, 08:04

I ran it with JS Deminifier (1.0.9.2) active and it worked (almost, there were no code blocks in the page I tested). JSD adds a space between =>, causing multiple errors, but still allowing the page to display. Patch JSD to preserve them and the page again fails to display.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-09-16, 11:34

Another workaround is to use scribe.rip. It works well and has a good side effect of being lightweight. :thumbup:

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817