Parts of Reddit site are not displayed Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Parts of Reddit site are not displayed

Unread post by zzz242 » 2022-09-13, 23:18

A couple of essential parts of the Reddit website are not displayed. For example, here is the main Reply box as it appears properly in Edge; this is the top of the page What actually happens if you don’t relieve traffic congestion?

And here it is as it appears the current version of PM:

Note that on PM, the picture is missing, along with text for the entire reply box, including its header. This makes it impossible to reply directly to an Reddit comments.

Meanwhile, the identity of every commenter is not displayed in PM, making it essentially impossible to see who is the author of each post. From Edge:

And the same text from PM:

Furthermore, clicking on any of the arrows or buttons below the post has no effect.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Parts of Reddit site are not displayed

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-09-13, 23:22

Use old.reddit.com, works better and doesn't have the retarded mobile oriented UI that the new one does, let alone whatever incompatible Chrome introduced bullshit it is relying on.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-09-14, 21:18

The new Reddit website uses regex named capture groups in one small part of their JavaScript code, which Pale Moon doesn't understand. You may install this extension, which fixes some problematic websites, including Reddit, by adding / polyfilling missing features or rewriting incompatible code to make it understandable to Pale Moon's JavaScript interpreter.

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2022-09-17, 00:02

UCyborg wrote:
2022-09-14, 21:18
The new Reddit website uses regex named capture groups in one small part of their JavaScript code, which Pale Moon doesn't understand. You may install this extension, which fixes some problematic websites, including Reddit, by adding / polyfilling missing features or rewriting incompatible code to make it understandable to Pale Moon's JavaScript interpreter.
Thanks, UCyborg! The extension you recommended fixed all my problems with Reddit completely.

Is there any reason that the functionality of this extension can't be added to the core PM code?
moonbat wrote:
2022-09-13, 23:22
Use old.reddit.com, works better and doesn't have the retarded mobile oriented UI that the new one does, let alone whatever incompatible Chrome introduced bullshit it is relying on.
Unfortunately, even when using old.reddit.com, the page is not displayed entirely correctly. One specific thing I noticed is that the points for the various posts are not displayed.

Stargate38
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Stargate38 » 2022-09-17, 00:15

UCyborg wrote:
You may install this extension
I can't install it. I just get a spinning circle where the download links should be.

Code: Select all

Content Security Policy: Directive ‘child-src’ has been deprecated. Please use directive ‘worker-src’ to control workers, or directive ‘frame-src’ to control frames respectively.  
(unknown)
ReferenceError: customElements is not defined[Learn More]  
vendors-node_modules_manuelpuyol_turbo_dist_turbo_es2017-esm_js-8af9baefab9e.js:15:46935
TypeError: window.customElements is undefined[Learn More]  
vendors-node_modules_primer_view-components_app_components_primer_primer_js-node_modules_gith-e7a013-c9086b575332.js:1:9140
element-registry-aa0577412df5.js:1:28595
vendors-node_modules_github_tab-container-element_dist_index_js-node_modules_github_auto-comp-d0a479-59a6ec35bd52.js:1:9207
element-registry-aa0577412df5.js:1:26054
element-registry-aa0577412df5.js:1:28595

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2022-09-17, 06:42

Stargate38 wrote:
2022-09-17, 00:15
I can't install it. I just get a spinning circle where the download links should be.
That's what I got too. It appears that GitHub is one of the sites that this extension fixes, which presents an interesting paradox.

The paradox is easily solved, though. Just open this page in another browser and download the file. Go back to PM and open your new local copy of the file. Everything should now work, including GitHub.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-17, 11:51

That chicken-and-egg problem could be solved by using the Pale Moon add-ons site to upload the extension to (instead of being an external there...) -- There's a reason we have APMO.
And no, I have no issues with it having contributed code by people who were previously labelled "enemies of the platform" by Tobin in his warring while he was still involved in the project.

But, that choice is entirely up to Martok.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SanAequitas
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by SanAequitas » 2022-12-28, 03:32

UCyborg wrote:
You may install this extension, which fixes some problematic websites, including Reddit, by adding / polyfilling missing features or rewriting incompatible code to make it understandable to Pale Moon's JavaScript interpreter.
Well thanks, that worked for me!

Side question (in general). Manually installing, I threw it in my extensions folder, but then had to go to about:addons page and "install from file". Not a problem, but I did notice that none of my other addons had xpi files in that folder, the only one was some virus-looking xpi that is apparently the Firefox Default Theme file. So, where are the xpis for everything else I installed via the addons page?

noellarkin
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by noellarkin » 2022-12-28, 05:35

Just a general question related to this topic: since there are quite a few sites affected by this Google/regex capture issue, would it make sense for the PM dev team to integrate functions similar to PaleFill into the browser (similar to how it integrated UserAgent overrides for problematic sites), so websites will work (or atleast be viewable) out-of-the-box? It seems to me that more and more websites are using these regex capture groups in their JS.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-28, 08:05

noellarkin wrote:
2022-12-28, 05:35
would it make sense for the PM dev team to integrate functions similar to PaleFill into the browser
If it would be necessary as a permanent solution, then we could bundle it (similar to the way Status4Evar was bundled initially to reintroduce the status bar with extra controls).

HOWEVER, thanks to some wonderful contributions made recently, this regex issue (as well as unicode property groups) will be solved with Goanna 6.0 and in turn the next dev release of Pale Moon.

PaleFill will continue to be very useful as a stop-gap measure so my thanks to the dev of it for maintaining it and updating it regularly in response to the moving target of the Google Web™ but we do hope to continue to be able to provide the necessary JS in the core.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kruppt
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Kruppt » 2022-12-29, 00:06

[Side question (in general). Manually installing, I threw it in my extensions folder, but then had to go to about:addons page and "install from file". Not a problem, but I did notice that none of my other addons had xpi files in that folder, the only one was some virus-looking xpi that is apparently the Firefox Default Theme file. So, where are the xpis for everything else I installed via the addons page?
In the extension sub-directory within your profile directory. Also there is a extension called ExtExp that you can use to export any or all of your installed extension/s back into xpi files.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-12-29, 08:26

Kruppt wrote:
2022-12-29, 00:06
Also there is a extension called ExtExp that you can use to export any or all of your installed extension/s back into xpi files.
The .xpi files are identical before and after installation. Hence there is nothing to change "back into .xpi files".
Merely the file name of the .xpi will change. One can easily retrieve the initial file names from the "Troubleshooting Information".

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-12-31, 22:06

Moonchild wrote:
2022-12-28, 08:05
HOWEVER, thanks to some wonderful contributions made recently, this regex issue (as well as unicode property groups) will be solved with Goanna 6.0 and in turn the next dev release of Pale Moon.
Great news! :clap:

Kruppt
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Kruppt » 2023-01-24, 15:17

gepus wrote:
2022-12-29, 08:26
Kruppt wrote:
2022-12-29, 00:06
Also there is a extension called ExtExp that you can use to export any or all of your installed extension/s back into xpi files.
The .xpi files are identical before and after installation. Hence there is nothing to change "back into .xpi files".
Merely the file name of the .xpi will change. One can easily retrieve the initial file names from the "Troubleshooting Information".
Cool .. never noticed that before.