The end of Google Drive (drive.google.com)

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

The end of Google Drive (drive.google.com)

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-08-19, 20:51

They've done it, Google Drive is completely unusable now in Pale Moon due to JS bells and whistles.

Code: Select all

22:47:07.262 ReferenceError: PerformanceObserver is not defined 1 drive:26:117
	Y.prototype.T https://drive.google.com/drive/:26:117
	<anonymous> https://drive.google.com/drive/:47:9

22:47:10.046 SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression 1 m=RsR2Mc:1450:142

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: The end of Google Drive (drive.google.com)

Unread post by franstam » 2022-08-21, 13:36

i can confirm google drive is completely unusable.
previously was just cannot scroll up/down and cannot open some files by double click.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-08-21, 15:40

Previous problem with scrolling could be fixed with a simple CSS tweak, now they want PerformanceObserver and RegExp with Unicode flag support, the latter probably being a tougher nut to crack.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-21, 15:46

Unfortunately this was predictable, and I'm actually surprised they didn't do this sooner. Google drive is a Google product, so of course they will target Google client technologies (Chrome/V8).
Perhaps it can still be forced to use some fallback code or mobile version with a useragent (because that is what Google does for detection) but it's quite possible it simply won't be usable in Pale Moon any longer.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-08-21, 18:31

Mobile version also wants RegExp with Unicode flag, but not PerformanceObserver.
Off-topic:
I wonder how long we'll still be able to use YouTube with current browser feature set.

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2022-08-22, 01:56

UCyborg wrote:
2022-08-21, 18:31
Mobile version also wants RegExp with Unicode flag, but not PerformanceObserver.
Off-topic:
I wonder how long we'll still be able to use YouTube with current browser feature set.
Off-topic:
don't jinx it!!!

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-08-22, 10:07

Google seems to consider Pale Moon as the old Firefox, even using native user agent.

Google Docs still seem functional at least, except the first page doesn't show recent docs, console gives invalid state error (might have been broken before, not sure), can open a Word document and Excel spreadsheet, no errors about missing JS stuff.

Saw some talk about polyfilling missing Regex stuff on palefill extension issues page, they mention XRegExp, a powerful JavaScript regex library, but that it may not be suitable for our use case - using extension to add missing stuff that web pages want.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-08-22, 10:46

Off-topic:
Feels like a conspiracy. Where I work, we also use Nextcloud as cloud storage provider for some stuff and I'm also getting "invalid identity escape in regular expression" due to some Regex BS they recently started using. So that one also became completely unusable.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-08-22, 21:05

Just want to note something that might be of interest to at least some PM users and maybe its developers. Waterfox Classic apparently has enough Regex stuff implemented into its engine that makes both Google Drive and Nextcloud work. I don't know the details of the Nextcloud instance I'm dealing with personally. Apparently this is the software you can host on your own and obviously I'm not in control of it. That JS file is a big mess and made my Notepad++ lag so badly that I didn't bother looking into whether it wants RegExp's Unicode flag or something else.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-08-22, 23:38

UCyborg wrote:
2022-08-22, 21:05
Waterfox Classic apparently has enough Regex stuff implemented into its engine that makes both Google Drive and Nextcloud work.
NextCloud was compatible with PM until recently (when v24 was released in May), so it may have became incompatible with Waterfox at the same time.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-08-27, 20:33

UCyborg wrote:
2022-08-22, 10:07
Google seems to consider Pale Moon as the old Firefox, even using native user agent.
RIght, forgot about default google.com user agent override that's indeed active, which obviously works for anything.google.com. Google Drive refuses to load unless it sees one of the mainstream known browsers.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-09-22, 22:10

Latest version of the Palefill extension (v.1.21) restores Google Drive functionality.

https://martok.github.io/palefill/

release notes

It's just incredible that a handful of talented people should be the ones to fix a multi-billion company's website.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-09-27, 19:07

Hm, the code Palefill put there isn't exactly equivalent to the original, is it? No idea how Google uses it, but what happens when a letter outside the classic ASCII range is encountered? :?