Very old local SME Server web-interface claiming my cookies are disabled when I'm on login page

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
NomadOfNorad

Very old local SME Server web-interface claiming my cookies are disabled when I'm on login page

Unread post by NomadOfNorad » 2022-06-14, 21:40

I have a very, very old version of SME Server (an email server Linux live-distro that turns a spare machine into an email netpliance thingy), which has an included web-interface for all its configuration and fo stuff like issuing a restart commmand, and I had to install Palemoon awhile back because all the other browsers I have stopped supporting that system's archaic web-certificates system, which uses self-generated, self-signed certs. I am on the latest version of Palemoon, 31.1.0, on Windows 10 Pro 64bit, and I can still get the old certificate to be accepted by telling Palemoon to ignore the security concerns. (The machine is literally sitting under my desk, on a LAN, so I'm not expecting any man-in-the-middle attacks from inside my own house! :D ) Usually I got to the interface page via the local address 192.168.1.5, or maybe by the designated local-machine-name Server (though I haven't navigated to it in awhile by that latter means).

Anyway, today, having fired up Palemoon to do something else, I decided to take a quick glance at the status of that machine... having in the meantime let be installed the 31.1.0 update to Palemoon.... I then got the usual warning message that the certificates were suspicious (since the machine generates a new self-signed cert every time its restarted), I told it to make an exception for this site like I usually do... and when I'm redirected to the login page, I now instead get:

Code: Select all

Your browser does not appear to support cookies or has cookie support disabled.
This site requires cookies - please turn cookie support on or try again using a different browser.
...and nothing else except the web-interface's product-logo banner graphic at the top. No login prompt or password prompt, just that error in plain black text against a plane white background under the product logo graphic. It all worked fine the last time I used this, some while back, when I originally installed Palemoon to get to the web-interface again. I appear to have cookies enabled for that site, according to the browser's Permissions Manager page, where it shows Store Cookies and Site Date set to Allow and to Use Default, but that also tells me it has 0 cookies set for that website. It also doesn't appear to be storing the certificates for that site, when I look at it in Preferences > Cetificates > Certificates Manager> Servers is shows (Not Stored) for the server, but DOES show Permanent under the Lifetime column for it, with Expires On showing blank.

What am I doing wrong here? :wtf:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Very old local SME Server web-interface claiming my cookies are disabled when I'm on login page

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-06-14, 23:03

Have you installed some extension? Maybe it's a configuration from one of them.
If you can also provide a more complete report on your installation (search the forum for the complete instructions) maybe we can figure out something.

NomadOfNorad

Re: Very old local SME Server web-interface claiming my cookies are disabled when I'm on login page

Unread post by NomadOfNorad » 2022-06-15, 01:56

The pluggins I have are:

Adobe Acrobat 22.1.20117.0
Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U321 11.321.2.7
VLC Web Pluggin 3.0.3.0
Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.3210.7

NomadOfNorad

Unread post by NomadOfNorad » 2022-06-15, 06:23

PaleMoon troubleshooting info 20220615.txt
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Okay, to provide more information, as requested:

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro
Browser version: 31.1.0 (64-bit)
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64bit (version of Windows you mean, right?)
Problem URL: 192.168.1.5 (it is a machine under my desk)
Theme: Default 31.1.0
Installed add-ons: I don't seem to have any installed.
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) listed them in the previous post (Or do I need to copy-paste the entire listing of MIME Type and stuff for each? :D )

edit: BTW, it should be noted that Java Deployment Toolkit shows an Ask to Activate drop down next to it, and has diagonal red-stripes across it in the Plugins pane, so apparently its not turned on at the moment in Pale Moon. The other three Plugins all have Always Activate showing.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-06-15, 20:25

Have you tested in a new, clean Profile (with the exception of importing your certs)?

I you [again] (test in) 29.4.6, does that still work?

NomadOfNorad

Unread post by NomadOfNorad » 2022-06-17, 01:27

Okay, just went into the Roaming and the Local folders, into the Moonchild Productions folders in both, renamed Pale Moon to Pale Moon old in both, fired up Pale Moon (and it dutifully created new Pale Moon folders in there), went to the web-interface for my SME Server box, went through the accept-this-certification-anyway song and dance... and lo and behold, its given me the Username and Password fields. What the flipping heck?!? :D :D :D

Haven't taken any other steps than that, I'm still on 31.1.0 from yesterday.